• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Winchendon, MA Appleseed Oct 11-12

Range: Winchendon Rod and Gun Club

Address:
Winchendon, MA

When: October 11th and 12th, 2008

Range Fee: $5 per shooter per day.

Camping available:
$5 per night on site primitive camping (RVs ok, but no power or water), Lake Dennison and Otter River State campgrounds within 5 miles.

Hotels:
Countryside Motel‎ - 660 Spring St, Winchendon, MA - (978) 297-0699‎ (bare bones, 5 miles away)
Woodbound Inn‎ - 62 Woodbound Rd, Rindge, NH (8miles)
Colonial Hotel‎ - 625 Betty Spring Rd, Gardner, MA (12 miles)

Directions:
1. Start on Rt 2
2. Take exit 20 for Baldwinville Rd toward Templeton/Baldwinville 0.2 mi
3. Keep right at the fork, follow signs for State Forest and merge onto Baldwinville Rd 2.5 mi
4. Turn right at Maple St/RT-68/US-202
Continue to follow US-202 4.7 mi
5. Turn left at Hale St 0.5 mi
6. Slight left at River St 2.1 mi
7. Continue on Winchendon Rd 0.1 mi

State Laws to be aware of:
Massachusetts Assault Weapons Ban is same as old Federal AWB (only one "evil feature," no >10 round mags unless they are pre 1994.) Rifle must be unloaded in locked case when not on range. Print out this page as evidence of "rifle competition" if stopped. Don't even think of bringing a pistol unless you already have a Non-Resident LTC which is required for mere possession.

Misc: We can shoot out to 200 meters! Bring 200ish rounds for Saturday, 500ish rounds for Sunday.

For more information contact: [email protected] or crak, MrTwigg, or Dwarven1 on this forum

Registrations Link: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/174429724

I don't know the exact number, but you want to register least 3 days or more beforehand. Price for the weekend pre-reg is $70 for 2 days, $45 for one day. Walk-in registration is $80 for 2 days, $50 for one day.

Any motels in the area?

Hotels:
Countryside Motel‎ - 660 Spring St, Winchendon, MA - (978) 297-0699‎ (bare bones, 5 miles away)
Woodbound Inn‎ - 62 Woodbound Rd, Rindge, NH (8miles)
Colonial Hotel‎ - 625 Betty Spring Rd, Gardner, MA (12 miles)
readthethread.gif
[wink]

And according to the registration page and some searching on the cost to join RWVA it actually works out cheaper to join RWVA and pay the member fee, correct?

Joining the RWVA is independent of coming to the shoot and any shoot fees.

The shoot fee that goes to Appleseed is the 45/70 for prereg and 50/80 for walkon. There is an additional $5 per day range fee set by Winchendon Rod and Gun. You pay that $5 per day at the shoot (not ahead of time) so I can hand it to a WR&G representative there.

On top of that, and unrelated to whether or not you come to the shoot, you can join the RWVA for $20 if you'd like.

Anyone hardy enough to pitch a tent in Octobrrrrrr ? [laugh]

I'm sure you could find something in the Cheaper Than Dirt catalog to warm you up using the Appleseed Discount Code! [smile][smile][smile]

The code is 1037-9508. It gets a $10 discount PER ORDER

Joining the RWVA is independent of coming to the shoot and any shoot fees.

The shoot fee that goes to Appleseed is the 45/70 for prereg and 50/80 for walkon. There is an additional $5 per day range fee set by Winchendon Rod and Gun. You pay that $5 per day at the shoot (not ahead of time) so I can hand it to a WR&G representative there.

On top of that, and unrelated to whether or not you come to the shoot, you can join the RWVA for $20 if you'd like.

Ah, ok, I guess I misread that, thanks for clarifying.

Remember...

Active military including Nat.Guard, women, any politicans, anyone under 21 all shoot for free.

If you do not have a rifle we will lend you one.

Active military including Nat.Guard, women, any politicans, anyone under 21 all shoot for free.

If you do not have a rifle we will lend you one.

I'm planning on coming down (with Cheryl), and we'll be bringing my loaners.

6 10/22's, 4 with Tech Sights, 2 scoped, plus a 513T Remington bolt gun.

Probably won't be doing the camping routine.

I can't believe I can't go to this and it's in my backyard!!! AGGHHH!

In any case, I posted it on the Winchendon bulletin board.

It would be great if someone could take pics and do a small writeup suitable for the local paper, the Winchendon Currier. They will run it if something is submitted. Maybe even the Gardner News. It would be good for the club.

What time should one plan to be there?
I think I convinced Barb to do this but she only wants to shoot one day. We'd be there for Saturday.

Question about 1 day attendance:

I see the round count will be about 200rds on Saturday.
Would this mostly be at 25m, or will their be a longer-range component?
I would like to attend this shoot, but can only make it on Saturday.

Just to let you know your questions will be answered late tonight or tomorrow. The boys are in VT this weekend at another Appleseed.

Question about 1 day attendance:

I see the round count will be about 200rds on Saturday.
Would this mostly be at 25m, or will their be a longer-range component?
I would like to attend this shoot, but can only make it on Saturday.

I'm 99.99 % certian we will be shooting at 25m for Saturday. The first day of an Appleseed is teaching the fundamentals and establishing a baseline for all individuals. e start to kick things uplate on Saturdays, and on Sunday we - and YOU will be going full throttle.

Iffin' you think the shorter range will be too "easy" - think again. [devil] [smile]

There will be some at 25m and 100m and 200m on Sunday. I suggest bringing a centerfire rifle.

If all goes well I'll be bringing my new 10/22, which I will hopefully finish converting to a LTR by that weekend (sights and sling left to do), and my new NES AR which hopefully I'll be able to build this weekend!

If all goes well I'll be bringing my new 10/22, which I will hopefully finish converting to a LTR by that weekend (sights and sling left to do), and my new NES AR which hopefully I'll be able to build this weekend!

Ninsho, let me repeat what I tell everyone: Bring a RELIABLE rifle. This is NOT the time to be breaking in a new rifle, since if you DO have any issues with it you'll be thinking more of "Why doesn't this eject/why doesn't this feed/why is it jamming" instead of "Sight picture/Sight Alignment/Respiratory Pause/Focus eyes on front sight and mind on trigger/SQUEEEEEZE the trigger/Follow through".

I will guarantee you that you will learn more with an old, reliable rifle than a brandy-new boomstick. If you have ANY issues with your LTR or your NES-AR when you test fire them with at least 3-400 rounds this weekend, leave them AT HOME next weekend.

Ninsho, let me repeat what I tell everyone: Bring a RELIABLE rifle. This is NOT the time to be breaking in a new rifle, since if you DO have any issues with it you'll be thinking more of "Why doesn't this eject/why doesn't this feed/why is it jamming" instead of "Sight picture/Sight Alignment/Respiratory Pause/Focus eyes on front sight and mind on trigger/SQUEEEEEZE the trigger/Follow through".

I will guarantee you that you will learn more with an old, reliable rifle than a brandy-new boomstick. If you have ANY issues with your LTR or your NES-AR when you test fire them with at least 3-400 rounds this weekend, leave them AT HOME next weekend.

I sure as hell hope to be able to put at LEAST 3-400 rounds through each this weekend [smile].

I would bring that old reliable rifle, except I don't own one yet[wink].

Well, I wasn't 100% sure I was going to be down for that, but I now know that I will for sure.

Lots of good info posted here, and what my fellow RWVA Instructors/IIT's are saying is true.

1. If you're coming for 1 day only, make it SATURDAY. THe bulk of the info is done on that day. If you come Sunday only, your experience may not be as good. If you are a new shooter (or new to rifle shooting, or just not a good shooter), then definitely make it Saturday.

2. Bring LOTS of ammo. Bring a .22 with a couple of 550 round boxes of ammo for it.

3. Bring a centerfire, so you can use it for he full distance portion, if any. Looks like we will have one there, so, let's plan on trying to use it. I'll try to make sure to bring down some full sized D Targets for it.

4. An Appleseed is a poor time to bring a rifle you've never shot before. But, if that is what you have, then bring it. Know that I won't be bringing down any centerfire loaners, as I don't want to get tangled up in Mass law, and much of what I have that's nice for Appleseed is also highly illegal in Mass. If you got in on that AR deal here, and want to bring it, then do it. We've got at LEAST 2 AR savvy Instructors that will be there.

5. I will, however, be bringing a few .22 loaners. Yes, they work out to at least 100 yards. Truth be known, a .22 works out to 400 yards, IF you do your part, dope the wind and know the bullet drop.

Now, there's still nobody pre-registered yet.

So, I'll need you to start getting registered, or at least post here that you're coming for sure.

Back
Top Bottom