Wild Wolf in Kentucky, First in 150 Years, Killed by Hunter

Admin

Staff Member
Administrator
NES Member
http://earthfirstjournal.org/newswi...kentucky-first-in-150-years-killed-by-hunter/

imag0076.jpg

arsehole

and then:

but state officials were skeptical that it was even a wolf, believing that it was more likely someone’s German shepherd. But following months of DNA analysis,

yeah cuz grey wolves look just like GSDs. ^this is how stupid your government is, folks.

Nice hat and vest.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

Closer to home, and a few years ago... http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/03/wolf_killed_last_fall_reported.html

"A Shelburne farmer killed the animal last October because it was killing lambs on his property.

At that time, Thomas W. French, assistant director of the state Division of Fisheries and Wildlife, said that the animal's behavior hunting was not that of a wild animal, but of a captive animal that was on the loose. It did not eat all of the lambs, but just their faces, French said in October."

I'm willing to bet there's more out there. Aren't wolves pack animals?

Looks kinda like the coyote,

sad, Wolves are pretty awesome.

Ya, they're awesome, until they start killing your cattle or sheep, costing you hundreds or thousands of dollars a week, then the awesomeness wears off real fast. Nobody compensates you for the losses so you handle it yourself. SSS.

What an *******, ya thats really going to be mistaken for a coyote. Should be charged with poaching.

I disagree.

For one thing, if no one had seen wolves in KY in a hundred years, why would he think it was anything besides a coyote?

And I saw a coyote in NH one morning a few years back that was absolutely enormous. It crossed the road in front of my car and I couldn't believe how big it was. The NH state record for coyote is 55 lbs, and this thing couldn't have been far off from that. Not hard to confuse a 70 lb wolf with a coyote that size.

In general, coyotes in the Northeast are significantly bigger than the ones out west, and with full winter coats look even bigger. There are some in my area that I have seen that were bigger than my female labs.

I disagree.

For one thing, if no one had seen wolves in KY in a hundred years, why would he think it was anything besides a coyote?

And I saw a coyote in NH one morning a few years back that was absolutely enormous. It crossed the road in front of my car and I couldn't believe how big it was. The NH state record for coyote is 55 lbs, and this thing couldn't have been far off from that. Not hard to confuse a 70 lb wolf with a coyote that size.

Maybe it wasnt a coyote [tinfoil]

Maybe it wasnt a coyote [tinfoil]

supposedly the yotes here are hybridized with eastern timberwolves or something. Not sure how true it is and how widespread the hybridized populations are.

a coyote ran out in front of me when I was jogging about 2 years ago and it was huge. I have a 90lb dog and it was bigger than my dog. Granted my dog is shorthaired and muscluar so he's a complact 90 pounds, but still. I could believe we have hybrid yotes here.

eta: apparently claims of hybrid yotes is based on dna studies verifying just that.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...t_study_finds_new_englanders_a_special_breed/

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...ds-coyotes-wolf-virginia-dna-animals-science/

Last edited:
supposedly the yotes here are hybridized with eastern timberwolves or something. Not sure how true it is and how widespread the hybridized populations are.

a coyote ran out in front of me when I was jogging about 2 years ago and it was huge. I have a 90lb dog and it was bigger than my dog. Granted my dog is shorthaired and muscluar so he's a complact 90 pounds, but still. I could believe we have hybrid yotes here.

I have heard that too.

What an *******, ya thats really going to be mistaken for a coyote. Should be charged with poaching.

+1

In this case it doesn't look like the wolf was a nuisance, though the story is short. Wolves can have a very positive impact on the food chain and environment when their numbers are allowed to reach healthy numbers.

Last edited:
It is so obvious, who the non outdoor folks are here. They have all the answers about wildlife, but only what they got from the TV. As was stated the Eastern Coyote is much bigger than the western coyote, It has also be proven through DNA sampling that that the wolf and coyote are cross breeding. So that means the ID issue will be difficult.

Not sure who that is directed at, but I also believe in ID'ing your target before before pulling the trigger, I think from the facts given that the guy should have know better, that's all. The comment after the fact was just my opinion about a wolf population in general being good, wasn't from TV, it was actually from a research paper I had written about the reintroduction cause and effects of wolf reintroduction into Yellowstone.

Not sure who that is directed at, but I also believe in ID'ing your target before before pulling the trigger, I think from the facts given that the guy should have know better, that's all. The comment after the fact was just my opinion about a wolf population in general being good, wasn't from TV, it was actually from a research paper I had written about the reintroduction cause and effects of wolf reintroduction into Yellowstone.

Dont mess with him, he is retired MA enviro police.

Years ago I was mountain biking in some trails in Yarmouth Port, and a huge sonofabitch coyote trotted out from the woods into the middle of the path right in front of me, about 15 feet. He just stood there staring at me for a bit. I did the same. I had never seen a coyote that big. He walked away after a minute and I no longer mountain bike unarmed.

If the dna only had wolf genetics, then it could've been someone's abandoned/escaped pet wolf. And I agree, why should mr. hunter suspect a wolf.

Our coyotes are hybrids with the eastern wolf and probably eastern-gray wolf hybrids. And it's pretty amazing that they're reproducing successfully, forming a whole new canid of sorts.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter what kind of animal it is if it's killing your livelihood.

Exactly. I'm about as pro-animal rights as anyone on a gun forum can be, but wolves are unwelcome in agricultural areas for a reason. Coyotes are bad enough around livestock. Wolves would be a disaster for young calves, hogs, etc. If all I'm doing is grain or hay farming then they are welcome -- if nothing else they keep the deer pressure down and are fun to watch. As soon as livestock enter the picture the predators have to go.

I know a few ranchers who would love to drop off all the wolfs on there spreads in your living room. Nothing like a bunch of east coast folks knowing what's best for people and places a thousand miles away. You know not of what you speak.

Back
Top Bottom