WHY?

How much of a markup are we talking between stores? I mean, I wouldn't drive an hour just to save $10-$20 bucks...I mean if there's a drastic difference then it's different. The third philosophy that tends to get expensive in the long run for me is "Pay for convenience"

Ideally, my shopping list is:

1 Handgun
1 Rifle
1 Shotgun
1 Holster
X Ammo

Anything else I should be considering?
I think the local PDs should enhance revenue by just carrying a selection of "first guns" right there in the station so that you can pick up your LTC and this selection of products in one convenient place...

[laugh]

It would be like picking out your toothbrush at the dentist...

"I'll take the green one with cookie-monster on it please...."

How much of a markup are we talking between stores? I mean, I wouldn't drive an hour just to save $10-$20 bucks...I mean if there's a drastic difference then it's different. The third philosophy that tends to get expensive in the long run for me is "Pay for convenience"

valid point but FS is less than a 10 min drive from Collectors, which is between 10-15 from the Shooters Box in Malden. 3 Quality shops fairly close by.

Overall though I think FS is the best place to go. They're friendly there which makes a difference to me. I won't do business with someone who acts like I'm bothering him. Their prices seem quite fair as well.

The shooter's box in malden is worth checking out just because it's cool. It's in a muffler shop out back behind the lifts behind a curtain. Steve is a pretty interesting guy to talk to as well. The place feels like a 1920's speakeasy despite being a totally legit gun shop. He has a pretty decent selection for such a small store. I doubt you'd be able to knock out your whole list there though.

A couple weeks ago, I was looking for a S&W 442. Four Seasons had it for $429 and Roach's was something over $500. That's worth a 30 minute drive. But to save a dollar or two on a few boxes of ammo, I'll stick with what's close.

If you know what exactly you want, you can call to get a stores price before you go out there (a lot of the stores list their prices online too).

The shooter's box in malden is worth checking out just because it's cool. It's in a muffler shop out back behind the lifts behind a curtain. Steve is a pretty interesting guy to talk to as well. The place feels like a 1920's speakeasy despite being a totally legit gun shop. He has a pretty decent selection for such a small store. I doubt you'd be able to knock out your whole list there though.

I went by the Shooter's Box when I first got my permit (actually it was after the application, but before I got the permit). He let me look around and stuff, but he said that it was mostly an online operation. How successful have you been at just stopping in and finding Steve to be available and willing to show you some guns/accessories?

You really need to go check out Rileys, and from there you can go west and hit Manchester Firing Line.

Rileys is worth the trip just for the views, just don't look at the handgun cases ( they are on the right as you go in the door) but they have a fantastic selection od long guns, holsters and ammo.

I went by the Shooter's Box when I first got my permit (actually it was after the application, but before I got the permit). He let me look around and stuff, but he said that it was mostly an online operation. How successful have you been at just stopping in and finding Steve to be available and willing to show you some guns/accessories?

every time i've gone in, which to be honest is only like 5 or 6 times, the last being about 5 months ago. I think he does sell a lot of accessories online, but he did have a bunch of long guns (couple ARs pumpguns and hunting guns) and a case with an ok handgun selection. He told me that he'd order anything MA legal that I wanted though if he didn't have it.

All this gun shopping talk has caused a big druel stain on my t shirt.

What Ive been thinking about getting: (Please chime in with opinions)

Pistol: Glock 31/SW 1911/Walther PPK (for carrying)

Rifle: Bushmaster XM-15/Norinco Mac90

Shotgun: No clue really....I have to ask a few questions about these...

Any opinions positive or negatives?

I figure that'll bring at about or under $3000-$3500 including accesories and ammo...

All this gun shopping talk has caused a big druel stain on my t shirt.

What Ive been thinking about getting: (Please chime in with opinions)

Pistol: Glock 31/SW 1911/Walther PPK (for carrying)

Good luck finding one of those in MA, you will find a Glock22 long before you find a 31, so find a deal on a G22 and get a new barrel for it in .357Sig. Given Walthers history of recalls you couldn't give me one. Everyone should own a 1911!
Rifle: Bushmaster XM-15/Norinco Mac90
Build your own AR-15, the prices on a lower and associated parts are dropping, Just make sure it is properly neutered for MA.
Shotgun: No clue really....I have to ask a few questions about these...

Remington 870, Mossberg 500, you can configure it for home defense or hunting, or both!

Any opinions positive or negatives?

I figure that'll bring at about or under $3000-$3500 including accesories and ammo...

A G22 with an extra barrel, a AK from scratch, and a Remington/Mossberg should be about 2000 bucks. I bought a 2nd generation g22 recently for 400, a NIB 870 for 300, then a 150 for a bunch of goodies for it like an 18 inch barrel, +2 tube, and a pistol grip, a good barrel for the Glock is no more than 150, I built my AR for a grand in A3 configuration.

Last edited:
Four Seasons has a used Glock 31 for sale for $699.99 according to their USED GUNS page.

As far as building my own AR-15, I wouldn't even know where to begin...

For shotguns, what constitutes as configured for "Home Defense" ?

Four Seasons has a used Glock 31 for sale for $699.99 according to their USED GUNS page.

Just make sure you shop around on the AR - they can be had for < $1000 or much more than that depending on where you get them... Prices have been coming down...

Boston_Shooter said:
It's loaded [laugh]

Actually, you just want pump action or semi-auto (not break-open or 2 shot)...

Skip the pistol grip - fire one at an NES shoot so you can say you did it and then move on - not a pleasant experience...

Shorter barrel for home defense - longer for trap/skeet...

.357 Sig is a very good round but i would stay away from the G31. Get something from the compact or subcompact line up.

400 for a used Glock 22, and another 125 for a barrel gives you TWO guns, so you will always have ammo available. .357Sig is a great round, but it gets pricey to shoot, where .40 Short & Weak is readily available and easier on the wallet. Unless it is a 3rd generatrion Glock, there is no way I am paying 100+ dollars over MSRP for it. I'd buy the 3rd gen G22 for 599 and a second barrel before I paid 699 for a 31, or even better the G22 with night sights on their sight for 550, then 125 for a factory barrel to shoot .357sig, and you are still ahead of the game money wise.

Half the fun of an AR 15 build is seeing how it goes together. I did cheat and bought a Bushmaster upper from Rileys and put it on the lower I built. A lower can be put together with basic hand tools and a 6 dollar buffer nut wrench.

A home defense shotgun usually has a shorter barrel. A folding or collapsible stock is nice, but in MA your choices are rather limited. A Pistol grip is still legal in MA, add that to a 18 inch barrel and it is easy to get it around in tight quarters, but it is NOT something you are going to want to be shooting in that configuration unless you really have to. Look at the 2 shotguns in this picture. Which one is easier to get around with inside a house?
IMG_3216.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom