• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why is there no PRO-gun legislation?

It seems like all I see is gun control advocates trying to pass this law and that law. It seems like gun owners have everything to lose and nothing to gain.

Can't we start passing laws that give gun owners more rights, rather than less?

Could we pass a law that says, "The state of ___ will not accept any more anti-gun legislation."

I just got an email from the NRA and it lists all of the anti-gun legislation they're trying to pass across the entire country. Delaware, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Nebraska, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin. And that's just THIS WEEK!

Why don't we start passing pro-gun legislation?

It's an uphill battle in MA, but as mlaboss linked to, bills are filled in MA every year at the request of constituents and the behest of GOAL. The isn't isn't getting bills proposed, it's getting enough representatives and the Speaker of the House willing to vote in favor of them. Talking to your reps, writing thoughtful letters, and educating people whom you know which will talk to their reps, write letters, etc. is the only way to make a difference. Each person you educate, take to the range, help get licensed, etc. slowly puts pressure on elected officials to take your point of view seriously.

Right now in MA public opinion as felt by representatives is not sufficient to push pro-gun bills vs. anti-gun bills. It was only the effort two years ago which finally got many reps into the mindset that anti-gun bills weren't popular easy wins to run towards, but there are still not of the mindset that pro-gun bills would be popular with the majority of the public. It's progress and we have to keep working on it.

Marathon not a sprint!

Last edited:
Pro-gun bills get filed every legislative session in MA, and they never make it out of committee.

Here's the current slate of doomed bills: http://www.goal.org/legislation.html

It's worth noting a lot of anti gun stuff dies, too. Basically in MA legislation usually goes nowhere without at least some "inside the belt" support. Even things that moonbats like may take years or even never pass. For example it took the moonbat statists over 3 years to pass the "bomb components bill" amongst other things.

-Mike

It seems like all I see is gun control advocates trying to pass this law and that law. It seems like gun owners have everything to lose and nothing to gain.

Can't we start passing laws that give gun owners more rights, rather than less?

Could we pass a law that says, "The state of ___ will not accept any more anti-gun legislation."

I just got an email from the NRA and it lists all of the anti-gun legislation they're trying to pass across the entire country. Delaware, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Nebraska, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin. And that's just THIS WEEK!

Why don't we start passing pro-gun legislation?

Pro 2a stuff passes in normal states all the time. Look at the conceal carry gif on wikipedia and see how bad conceal carry was nationally and what it's like now.

Locally, ME passed constitutional carry last year, vermont ended their suppressor ban. NC, GA, TX TN and 20 plus other states have passed pro 2a recently.

It's worth noting a lot of anti gun stuff dies, too. Basically in MA legislation usually goes nowhere without at least some "inside the belt" support. Even things that moonbats like may take years or even never pass. For example it took the moonbat statists over 3 years to pass the "bomb components bill" amongst other things.

-Mike

Linsky files the same 4 or 5 crap bills every session. They've died each of the last 10 plus years.

Linsky files the same 4 or 5 crap bills every session. They've died each of the last 10 plus years.

Yup... Linsky, Creem, a few other ****nuts in the mix file a pile of garbage every year. None of it ever gets out of committee, so it's basically grandstanding. The hilarious part is they are so poorly written its pretty obvious why they would never get passed.

-Mike

I just want a folding stock and no magazine restrictions. I'm thinking of joining GOAL, but what have they done to change the legislation? Honest question.

I just want a folding stock and no magazine restrictions. I'm thinking of joining GOAL, but what have they done to change the legislation? Honest question.

If they could change it all at once, I'm sure it would've happened a long time ago. The problem is that MA has many more anti2A legislators than pro2A ones. The legislators are the ones who can change laws.

Don't just join GOAL, join Comm2A, and the NRA. They all have their unique roles and get as much done as they can within their environments.

If they could change it all at once, I'm sure it would've happened a long time ago. The problem is that MA has many more anti2A legislators than pro2A ones. The legislators are the ones who can change laws.

Don't just join GOAL, join Comm2A, and the NRA. They all have their unique roles and get as much done as they can within their environments.

Already an NRA member. I'll look into GOAL and Comm2A. Thank you.

Last edited:
I suspect that it usually takes an entitled, mental defective to run for office. The rest of us have real jobs we have to go to.

Same reason anti gun rallies are attended by thousands of rabid moonbats dancing rituals while bathing in baby blood while pro gun rallies have a couple hundred normal looking if slightly odiferous dudes with suspicious bulges under their shirts and holding some signs up.

Have you contacted your state reps and senator?

Laws come from the State House, not "want"s.

What GOAL does, is to keep our interest represented at Bacon Hill. That said, if a canvasser for Hillary came to your house, would you take the time to talk to them? If you did, would you vote for her?

Remember, gun owners are ~!0% of the population. Pols don't keep their jobs by doing what the 10% wants. It's a tough row to hoe.

Unless you have the time to spend a few hours a week at the State House, telling the Ruling Class what you want, write the check, and join GOAL. That's what they do.

Seriously though if those two things are what really burn your ass you're not paying much attention to what's going on with MA gun law. [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you contacted your state reps and senator?

Laws come from the State House, not "want"s.

What GOAL does, is to keep our interest represented at Bacon Hill. That said, if a canvasser for Hillary came to your house, would you take the time to talk to them? If you did, would you vote for her?

Remember, gun owners are ~!0% of the population. Pols don't keep their jobs by doing what the 10% wants. It's a tough row to hoe.

Unless you have the time to spend a few hours a week at the State House, telling the Ruling Class what you want, write the check, and join GOAL. That's what they do.

drgrant said:
Seriously though if those two things are what really burn your ass you're not paying much attention to what's going on with MA gun law.
-Mike

OK, gentlemen. No need to pick on the new guy! Actually, I'm glad you did. I'm a 3 year member now. Put up or shut up, right?

drgrant, I admit my ignorance. That's why I'm here. Trying to learn what I can.

EDIT: Also donated to Comm2A

Last edited:

Seriously though if those two things are what really burn your ass you're not paying much attention to what's going on with MA gun law. [laugh]

-Mike

YES!! I was thinking about this scene while reading this thread and the one about Jim Wallace on the radio.

There are more than enough Spaulding Smails out there. [lol]

Last edited by a moderator:
That ain't "picking on" (at least on NES) [laugh]

You may not realize it, but the gist of your post is not a new one - a couple of time a year, someone will come onto the forum, angry and frustrated at the asshatery of Mass laws, and railing against NRA, GOAL, complacent gun owners that "let it happen."

Unfortunately, we're in a sense behind enemy lines, or, faced with huge institutional inertia.

The gun (and other weapon) laws have accreted over years, and current legal and legislative entities are quite loath to change what came before. If you say, "what the people in our position did something wrong, that means we might be wrong, too." That's why the arbitrary "discretion" has been enshrined and validated. Because if its wrong now, it was wrong before.

Welcome to Mass.

The gun (and other weapon) laws have accreted over years, and current legal and legislative entities are quite loath to change what came before. If you say, "what the people in our position did something wrong, that means we might be wrong, too." That's why the arbitrary "discretion" has been enshrined and validated. Because if its wrong now, it was wrong before.

Reps for using the word "accrete".

The problem os two-fold... we have a largely unsympathetic legislature (though to be fair a few of those who heard from us the other day are very much behind us or at least are behind us on some of the issues. Rep Tucker got back to me via email right away with a personal response), and they arent great about passing anything. There is a lot of anti stuff that would be popular that wlnt go anywhere.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

That ain't "picking on" (at least on NES) [laugh]

You may not realize it, but the gist of your post is not a new one - a couple of time a year, someone will come onto the forum, angry and frustrated at the asshatery of Mass laws, and railing against NRA, GOAL, complacent gun owners that "let it happen."

Unfortunately, we're in a sense behind enemy lines, or, faced with huge institutional inertia.

Welcome to Mass.

+1. Success of organizations like GOAL in a state like MA is most reasonably measured in bills killed/modified to make less bad, not in good bills passed.

You can follow legislation at GOAL's website.

All interested gun owners should sign up for GOAL's Friday News, Legislative Alerts and more.

Subscribe to the email list and get the latest news.

http://goal.org/

Back
Top Bottom