Why carry? Attacked by a stalker

It was an interesting story thanks for posting. The woman did a good job fighting back.

I don't know about you guys, but I choose not to live in fear of someday based on a very unique story of some stalker. If your family was being stalked by some guy wouldn't you at least beef up the security in your home by improving windows and doors and install a decent security system to start with, and work out a defensive plan with your family for such a situation? How the heck did this guy get into their garage?

But back to average people without stalker in their lives..... I personally can't believe how many people on different forums say they walk around their own home with a j-frame in their pocket all the time. Where the heck do such people live, in a war zone somewhere?

While I carry all the time, I don't live in fear. I live in Winchendon, a town of 10,000 people where everything closes after 9 p.m., and most nights there's only one cop working 3rd shift.

Here's some more recent notable events in my town:

A violent sex assault that was featured on America's Most Wanted. Here's a brief description of his crime:

Just after midnight on August 30, 2007, cops say Michael Bresnahan broke into the home of a retired schoolteacher who had just tucked herself into bed. Authorities believe Bresnahan gained access to the Winchendon, Mass. residence by slicing the screen door open with a knife.

Cops say Bresnahan startled the single, divorced mom from her sleep and jammed his knife against her throat. Bresnahan allegedly told his victim that he only wanted money, but after two hours of torment, it appeared he wanted more.

Cops tell us that Bresnahan held his victim against her will and sexually assaulted her for hours. Police say Bresnahan left the home empty-handed. The victim's family cites this as proof that he wasn't in it for the money.

"I never thought this could happen to me," the victim told AMW correspondent Jon Leiberman. "I didn't feel I ever put myself in a position where I'd be vulnerable like that."

Another sex assault, that happened at the town shelter during the ice storm.

If you look at our town on http://www.familywatchdog.us, you can see a nice long list of sex offenders in the area.

There's been numerous burglaries of occupied homes, both in the day and the night.

There's a lot more going on in most towns than you'd think.

I carry around the house, just like I carry when I leave the house. I don't feel terror when I have to disarm in a place I can't legally carry, but if I have the option, I go armed.

Any alarm system, door lock, motion detector and yes, even a dog, can be bypassed or overcome. If a burglar, or rapist, or stalker is motivated enough, they can get into your house and surprise you.

I agree with this, but think more along the line of instincts. There are times I am purposefully aware, but it seems my instincts take no purpose or thought - they just are. Gut feelings rule - without which...having all the "stuff" in the world is for naught.

I think this is huge. When alarms start going off in my head, I pay attention.

Back
Top Bottom