why buy stripped lowers in MA

forgive my ignorance, but I've been wanting to asl this question for a while. I've heard of a number of people, many of whom live in Mass, are going out and buying stripped AR lowers in anticipation of a new federal AWB. I can see the reasoning behind this for people out of state, but I don't understand why this makes sense for people in Mass, still under the 94 AWB. If a new federal ban was passed, what good is a lower that's preban in regards to the new fed ban, but still post MA ban? The only benefit I could see is as an investment for sale to free states, but most of these people seem to be stocking up for themselves. WTF?

Because any new ban on the horizon (federal or state), would also include any and all post-ban versions of EBRs (the "Assault Weapon" loophole [thinking])

It's very likely that a new AW ban would be more restictive than the original. Therefor having lots of lowers that will have to be grandfathered in is a good idea.

I don't think the fear is of not being able to buy ARs with evil features, but a fear that you will not be able to buy ARs at all. So assuming that a change in the state AWB or imposing of a new Fed AWB that has a line about making the sale of new ARs unlawful, having those lowers grandfathers them. (Unless there is a clause that says the lower must have been assembled as of a certain date, then those folks are up shits creek because they won't be able to prove that.)

I don't think the fear is of not being able to buy ARs with evil features, but a fear that you will not be able to buy ARs at all. So assuming that a change in the state AWB or imposing of a new Fed AWB that has a line about making the sale of new ARs unlawful, having those lowers grandfathers them. (Unless there is a clause that says the lower must have been assembled as of a certain date, then those folks are up shits creek because they won't be able to prove that.)

Making things worse... the current (and previous), AWB reauthorization bill in the House also bans "A conversion kit.

It's a bit cryptic/confusing as to what "a conversion kit" actually means, but most likely it means banning previously unregulated parts that could be used to construct an "assault rifle"... complete uppers as an example.

The idea is that federally speaking, if all AR's (even the
shit postban variety that MA residents are stuck with if buying
new) were -completely- banned somehow, that since even a
stripped lower is considered a "firearm" by federal law they would get
grandfathered in, and that one would probably still be able to get
parts to turn it into a complete rifle later on. Since mass
confiscation is unlikely, chances are that the feds might do a
CA style registration scheme, etc.

-Mike

(Unless there is a clause that says the lower must have been assembled as of a certain date, then those folks are up shits creek because they won't be able to prove that.)

On the flip side the feds or whoever would have the burden of
proving that a given lower was NOT turned into a rifle before the
cutoff, etc. Even if the law only exempted "complete" rifles
they'd have to somehow prove that it wasn't complete before the
cutoff date.

Then there's the outlaw tack- even if that assertion is true, I doubt
anyone assembling an AR after the ban will care about it much.... the gun
laws eventually will succeed in making the better part of 80 million people
outlaws. EG, a stripped lower could still be used to create a gun even
once legal avenues of procuring completed guns or receivers is closed to
joe public.

-Mike

I'm stocking up because I am planning on moving to NH hopefully within a year or two. If I buy in MA any FFL I buy from will require a FA-10. A lower receiver however does *not* need an FA-10 until it is put together as a completed and firable firearm (though most people suggest if you have the parts to build it to register it). At most I will likely have another barrel while I'm in MA and nothing more. This means once I am in NH there will be no registered AR-15 beyond my current Bushy.

Also, in MA I seem to only see Bushies and Colts. I want a different brand (right now it seems to be Rock River Arms).

Back
Top Bottom