• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why are 3" SW wheel guns worth significant more than other models?

I have both 2.5" and 3" SW 66's. I can't feel much of a difference, but the 3" is rarer and more expensive.

And because it's Friday,more 3" Smith goodness to start America's holiday
On left, 617 airweight a great first gun for new shooters. It is also a decent woodswalker.
On right, mid 80's PC K-Comp. Has made a few long trip with me. Also shared with younger cops who never handled a revolver in a MCJTC instructor course. I turned down a few offers for it after that. It's a keeper.

The first one I posted, 3” 65 started out as a 4”square butt old PD issue. I brought it up to Karl Sokal in Vermont. Karl worked his magic..to a 3” round butt, super action job. A high viz night site with corresponding widening of rear sight channel, polish around the cuts to reduce drag, and top off with bead blasting. Like I had said in previous post, VZ grips to top it off.
I am looking for a vintage DeSantis holster with the attached six round loops to top it off.
They are both keepers

I've been telling my wife for years that 3 inches is the preferred length.

35999035_2031263066886676_4838955059003785216_n.jpg

The first one I posted, 3” 65 started out as a 4”square butt old PD issue. I brought it up to Karl Sokal in Vermont. Karl worked his magic..to a 3” round butt, super action job. A high viz night site with corresponding widening of rear sight channel, polish around the cuts to reduce drag, and top off with bead blasting. Like I had said in previous post, VZ grips to top it off.
I am looking for a vintage DeSantis holster with the attached six round loops to top it off.
They are both keepers
I tried to deal with him years ago, when he lived one town over in Vermont. I wanted to convert a 5" S&W 625 to a 4" (ah, now I wish I had that 5", still). Never actually got it done, since he spent 2 hours just talking on the phone....

BPD Specials are ONLY allowed to carry 3" wheel guns chambered in 38spl... so there's some local demand.

It's an absurd reg.

I like 3" K frames. I mentioned this to a fellow who has been in the firearms business for more than 40 years, and he had an interesting perspective to offer. He said that the reason 3" barrels are rare now is because back in the day they were not popular. He said that back when 3" model 65 and model 66 revolvers were standard models, he actually sold some at large discounts to help a distributor clear out inventory that was sitting for too long.

So it is funny to think how perspectives change. I really do think a 3" barrel is good compromise with regard to sight radius, control, easy carry, and bullet velocity. But there is an alternate view that says that if a 2" snubnose won't meet your needs, then you should step up to a service size gun with a 4" barrel. Apparently, in the past, the latter view was much more widely held.

Back
Top Bottom