Why are 3" SW wheel guns worth significant more than other models?

2 is thought to be inaccurate, but that's not right if you are good.
4 drags on a draw more than 2 or 3.
6 is just too long to carry concealed easily.
3" guns frequently spot better sights than 2"

All of the above is conjecture and I carry a full sized P14 all the time. a 2" S&W mod 60 is in the ankle holster. I no longer run after people.

YMMV

I've got a 3" 65.

In the modern era, the only way to get a 3" 65 is. . . . a Laaaaydayyyysmittthhhhhh.

So yeah, that's what I have. It's your standard Model 65. With Ladysmith on the side of the bbl. Nice gun. Came with my own Mansier and tactical shoulder satchel.

Partially because it's a fairly rare barrel length. I looked for about five years before I found a 3" Model 64. Two months later, I found a 3" Model 13, from the same shop of course. I bought that too, but eventually sold the Model 64. Last year, I finally found a nice condition Model 36-1 with a 3" barrel. All three of those guns are round butt variations, and those are even harder to find.

The two K frames conceal much better than my 4" square butt K frames.

I noticed this on forums and gun brokers. I wonder why? I got 2", 4",6" models here and prefer 4" model.

Because 3" is an oddball barrel length, so as a result... less revolvers made in that length.

The other thing is.... 3" is a HUGE step up from a 1 7/8th or a 2", in terms of muzzle velocity... it's way less of a compromise than a snub is.

-Mike

Lately it seems that 3" is more desirable, according to the gun rags and the internet. Have to agree. I think 4 is the ideal length for a .357, but for some reason my next one is going to be 3.

I have a few. still own a 3" smith mod 36 I bought used at bill & teds in burlington I think in the late 70's.

I've got a 3" 65.

In the modern era, the only way to get a 3" 65 is. . . . a Laaaaydayyyysmittthhhhhh.

So yeah, that's what I have. It's your standard Model 65. With Ladysmith on the side of the bbl. Nice gun. Came with my own Mansier and tactical shoulder satchel.

You're looking at this the wrong way. Instead of assuming that the Ladysmith indicates femininity, look at it as artistry? A silversmith works in silver, right? A goldsmith works in gold. A blacksmith works in.....iron? (OK - never mind that one)

Soooooooooooo, a "Ladysmith" would be an artist who works in............................

You're looking at this the wrong way. Instead of assuming that the Ladysmith indicates femininity, look at it as artistry? A silversmith works in silver, right? A goldsmith works in gold. A blacksmith works in.....iron? (OK - never mind that one)

Soooooooooooo, a "Ladysmith" would be an artist who works in............................

I should be able to LIKE this post more than once. LOL

Lately it seems that 3" is more desirable, according to the gun rags and the internet.

Just like semi-auto cartridge (9mm, 10mm, etc) revolvers, no one bought them until they were popularized on web forums by some "operator." I ran into the same thing with digital cameras, I bought a Nikon 28mm f/1.4 lens when my first son was born so I could take natural light photos. I think I paid around $700 for it. Just a few years later when digital SLRs became more popular, they started fetching $3500 on eBay. Nikon went ahead and re-released the lens and tanked the market.

Chris

I had a 3 inch round butt 686 Cs1. I read that the Customs Service requested three inch barrels because it allowed the extractor to clear .357 cases from the cylinder. I should not have sold that gun.

As much as I love my 4" S&W Model 19, my 3" Model 13 takes the cake as a superb carry revolver.

I had a 3 inch round butt 686 Cs1. I read that the Customs Service requested three inch barrels because it allowed the extractor to clear .357 cases from the cylinder. I should not have sold that gun.
No you should have not.....I would have bought it ;-)

thread is better with pics...
my sw pre lock 66 with factory magnaported barrel. thinking I need smaller grips to balance out the look and fit my lady like hands...
PWogCAlUUg8ZVJbNCOK2RZCli36MuSFtdRw8S4TKDaqG0ZIMqzU-Wy13Z0up3rm9c0x9-mFqa7b8nLPc_Dg4xyFtZX2V-SlR7-cMzmbemwc91xFWpNhgzrOOg7zh1ixDK_2aHLZ6IlWvhg7nl8VD4MWY7MD8Sq9CjZg_bDilXTVTa0qtGrVQ4dKakRiVtOTkP6lUZVhFxlZkAMsuo_XJYi9TNuMVqmDy-nW3nALxQzuAIMddRmLfWkHxKnvtWUWX7dqPRp3bQv2BRUvlBgrh2x-REAHlHGPqCxtjepD8DMork89Oh2HCqVzqDzcUZXCvHDIUSIev4TjFb2hBtmjbE3_TxZ407ud36Xx6GowGtW-HZRl0fPJoA7PQeC8uqo8eC73KHOz3p3cmrY8S0Cel-9aYY2TrJgrkXp7ArWmRluunAtyZvu1mPlMY_THEStv3FA-Kasg_a7RBxi5OvdcdAM2IHhSCXI5So01drvEjPqHPN6h8TF_OVh-JbLPrFxlqE8OoBQXcsmJDdV55XyGRM8NDYjQy0esQ2Q1xb3Nvbq0GaoqAuenTv6JFpHSMg9D0gfXmAmiUch3Er-v0jP_QC2sMttvxpLU5j8PpFVU=w1263-h947-no

Smith made a bunch of 3 inch limited run guns. Lew Hortin comes to mind. A friend of mine collected 3 inch stainless Smiths.

Item Sku Qty Subtotal
K/L-Frame Tactical Diamond Black Gray Round Bottom G10
Had them shipped direct to Chestnut Mountain who did work

thread is better with pics...
my sw pre lock 66 with factory magnaported barrel. thinking I need smaller grips to balance out the look and fit my lady like hands...
PWogCAlUUg8ZVJbNCOK2RZCli36MuSFtdRw8S4TKDaqG0ZIMqzU-Wy13Z0up3rm9c0x9-mFqa7b8nLPc_Dg4xyFtZX2V-SlR7-cMzmbemwc91xFWpNhgzrOOg7zh1ixDK_2aHLZ6IlWvhg7nl8VD4MWY7MD8Sq9CjZg_bDilXTVTa0qtGrVQ4dKakRiVtOTkP6lUZVhFxlZkAMsuo_XJYi9TNuMVqmDy-nW3nALxQzuAIMddRmLfWkHxKnvtWUWX7dqPRp3bQv2BRUvlBgrh2x-REAHlHGPqCxtjepD8DMork89Oh2HCqVzqDzcUZXCvHDIUSIev4TjFb2hBtmjbE3_TxZ407ud36Xx6GowGtW-HZRl0fPJoA7PQeC8uqo8eC73KHOz3p3cmrY8S0Cel-9aYY2TrJgrkXp7ArWmRluunAtyZvu1mPlMY_THEStv3FA-Kasg_a7RBxi5OvdcdAM2IHhSCXI5So01drvEjPqHPN6h8TF_OVh-JbLPrFxlqE8OoBQXcsmJDdV55XyGRM8NDYjQy0esQ2Q1xb3Nvbq0GaoqAuenTv6JFpHSMg9D0gfXmAmiUch3Er-v0jP_QC2sMttvxpLU5j8PpFVU=w1263-h947-no

What happened to your pic?
Was trying to compare them.....looks like my Rossi is a perfect clone.

Attachments

• 0628181227.jpg
    0628181227.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom