Who lifts restrictions if you move?

late08

NES Member
If I were to move, after filing a COA form, if I wanted to see about getting restrictions lifted, would I speak to the chief from the original issuing town or would I speak to the chief of the town I just moved to?

Thanks!

If I were to move, after filing a COA form, if I wanted to see about getting restrictions lifted, would I speak to the chief from the original issuing town or would I speak to the chief of the town I just moved to?

Thanks!

That's a good question. For $100 you could probably just reapply with your new chief. I'd be surprised if your new chief would alter the restricted license issued by another town.

IIRC I have read on here before of people having their new CLEO issuing them an ALP license when they moved to a greener town without renewal.

Your first LTC would have to be revoked by the issuing chief before your new PD could issue another one to you. In other words, you cannot have two MA LTCs at once.

is their any way to forfeit your LTC in order to get a new one issued? That would be cool, especially in a nice dark green town[grin]

I moved from Chicopee (red) to South Hadley (green) in 1995 with my old "Target Shooting and Hunting" license. My new chief wrote me a brief letter on department letterhead stating that I was allowed to carry concealed for personal protection. I'm not sure how "legal" it was, but it was his decision as the licensing authority and I am sure that he would have backed it up if someone else tried to cause a problem. When I renewed it was written for "Personal Protection" and has been that or "No restrictions" ever since.

I doubt anyone would give you trouble over it with that letter, but yeah, they don't have the authority to lift restrictions set by the original licensing authority. Of course, it's surely the chief's choice to let you carry or not in his jurisdiction.

No, if you have an existing LTC, you'll have to deal with it before you "renew" it.

What the heck does renewing mean in this context?

You have to renew before the old one expires. There is nothing that says you can't renew a year or two or more before it expires (I imagine your CLEO can refuse to accept your application if he wants) -you just would have to pay your renewal fee.

Well, when you submit your application for renewal 1-2 months before expiration, they don't revoke it right then, do they?

Back
Top Bottom