• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can you "deregister" a previously built AR?

Freddy B

NES Member
Apologies if this has been covered before (please just point me to the thread if it has). Let's say you've built an AR in MA and "registered" it in the portal, but now have decided to build something different. You still have the lower, but the upper is history and the lower is sitting in your safe waiting for you to get around to your next build. Anything to do here?

Apologies if this has been covered before (please just point me to the thread if it has). Let's say you've built an AR in MA and "registered" it in the portal, but now have decided to build something different. You still have the lower, but the upper is history and the lower is sitting in your safe waiting for you to get around to your next build. Anything to do here?
pop a new upper on it and shoot?

pop a new upper on it and shoot?
This.
You do not have to register it everytime you buy a new upper for it.
I have multiple uppers for one lower and only registered it once.

Though given the bullshit that’s occurred over the last several years as well as the latest bill HD.4607, I’m not sure I’d bother registering anything.
**not a lawyer, not legal advice**

Last edited:
This.

Though given the bullshit that’s occurred over the last several years as well as the latest bill HD.4607, I’m not sure I’d bother registering anything.
I asked because of the barrel length and color questions. If I registered it as a 16" black rifle, and it turns into a 20" FDE one, it looks like no one cares. Cool.

This.

You would have if 4420 passed. Unsure if 4607 has the same requirement

You would have if 4420 passed. Unsure if 4607 has the same requirement
4607 still calls out "assembled" but doesn't require a bill of materials

So in theory we will need to register every time we do a detailed strip upon reassembly.

Sounds like an opportunity for malicious compliance

Storage is cheap.
They pass laws designed to trip you up.
The more info you enter, the higher the chance of a typo that can put you in jail longer than punching someone in the face.

Back
Top Bottom