Who drives around with long guns?

I legitimately thought a trigger lock on a rifle was within the scope of the law for transport. Looks like I've been involved in some criminal activity.

As long as it's not high-cap, you were okay.

Throw a small master lock on the zippers of the soft case.

It's true, but the joke is that the lamest of locks constitutes a "locked container". Like I posted above, a master lock through the zippers of a soft case is g2g. Obviously just don't ever depend on that if there is a legit need to secure it.
The best way to read some logic into the safe storage law (131L) is to read it with an "it's for the children" mindset, NOT with the assumption that it's meant to prevent theft.

Rifle locked in a glass front gun cabinet? Totally legal. Handgun in a soft case with the zippers locked with a luggage lock? Totally legal. A double barreled shotgun lying in the grass in the middle of your front yard with nothing more than a trigger lock for 40 days and 40 nights? Totally legal. All of those methods would do nothing to prevent theft, but would likely prevent child access. That's not to say some of those methods of storage (specifically, leaving your shotgun on the yard) wouldn't prompt an unsuitability revocation of an LTC, but wouldn't be adequate to sustain a 131L violation.

- - - Updated - - -

I live in NH. Sorry.
Don't be sorry. We're all jealous of you.

I can't think of a good reason to not have a long gun in my car. And, I tried....

Take the damn gun in the house.

This.

I could post a dozen articles talking about firearms being stolen from police cars in about 30 seconds with a quick search. Granted, police cars taken home might be a little more "high visibility" in terms of a target of opportunity, but leaving anything in a car in or outside any kind of locking mechanism overnight is stupid. Anything made by a man can be broken by a man, and gunlocks, gun safes, gun racks, etc., are just deterrents.

Gun safes are rated in "matter of minute" on the high end...meaning how many minutes will it take a knowledgeable burglar with appropriate tools to defeat it. Same goes for your car locks, trigger locks, etc., etc. Taking the appropriate measures to deter a thief of opportunity is something everyone should engage in, but it's never a be all and end all of firearms security.

Leaving a long gun in a car overnight, regardless of preventative measures, is irresponsible.

Of course, I was just giving you a hard time.

image_zps4d0bcb80.jpg

Cekim is right, in that a trigger lock is not useful for transport, from a lawfulness point of view: It's insufficient for a large-cap (e.g AR-15) rifle, which requires a locked case, or trunk, and is irrelevant for a non-large-cap (Joe Biden special) which only needs to be unloaded for transport.

So, forgive me on this, that means when I put the AR-10 in the backseat of my Crew Cab Pickup, no lock on it and the case not fully zipped closed because it's too long (haven't found one I like to fit it yet) - I can get dinged for that?

My 10rd mags are in the ammo box on the floor - again no lock.

So, forgive me on this, that means when I put the AR-10 in the backseat of my Crew Cab Pickup, no lock on it and the case not fully zipped closed because it's too long (haven't found one I like to fit it yet) - I can get dinged for that?

You sure can. MGL Chapter 140 Section 131c:

(c) No person possessing a large capacity rifle or shotgun under a Class A or Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000.

Full text here:

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131C

Get yourself a case that fits the rifle before you transport it again.

Thanks for the info - oops, my bad.

The range is only 10 minutes down the road (back roads at that) but you are correct - a case for it is getting ordered today. I have an Americase Double Rifle Case that I made an insert to fit the AR-10 variant - but the case alone weighs 26 lbs.

The range is only 10 minutes down the road (back roads at that) but you are correct - a case for it is getting ordered today. I have an Americase Double Rifle Case that I made an insert to fit the AR-10 variant - but the case alone weighs 26 lbs.

It is a ridiculous law, but I would hate to see you get jammed up for violating it.

It sounds to me like the OP is looking for assurances that what he is doing is okay. It's not. Unless you're on the way to/from the range or your hunting spot take your guns out of your car and put them in the safe. That's it. To leave them in a car while you dither is irresponsible and surely would be used as cause for "suitability" in this state should something happen. Even if something beyond your control happened - like the car was stolen. The first question asked would be why were the guns in there. You don't want your answer to be "it was too inconvenient to take them out" or something to that effect. This is Massachusetts.... Do yourself well to remember that unfortunate reality - that you can be punished for the crimes of another...

Last edited:

Welcome to MA, where everything is illegal. I wonder how many people commit felonies on a daily basis without even knowing it?! My guess is tens of thousands.

I have been reading up on this law for sometime, and honestly, I am not confident that I completely understand it. I tend to just double-lock everything to be safe [laugh]

MA sux

It sounds to me like the OP is looking for assurances that what he is doing is okay. It's not. Unless you're on the way to/from the range or your hunting spot take your guns out of your car and put them in the safe. That's it. To leave them in a car while you dither is irresponsible and surely would be used as cause for "suitability" in this state should something happen. Even if something beyond your control happened - like the car was stolen. The first question asked would be why were the guns in there. You don't want your answer to be "it was too inconvenient to take them out" or something to that effect. This is Massachusetts.... Do yourself well to remember that unfortunate reality - that you can be punished for the crimes of another...
The best advice no one should have to follow.

“The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws.” - Cornelius Tacitus

His wisdom still holds true today, almost 2000 years later. The more laws, the more law breakers there are in society.

By the way, even in God's Country, Fish and Game laws preclude a loaded rifle in the vehicle. That's what they make strippers and magazines for.

By the way, even in God's Country, Fish and Game laws preclude a loaded rifle in the vehicle. That's what they make strippers and magazines for.

I agree that it is precluded. I also believe it is stooopid. If I can carry a loaded pistol / revolver in a vehicle I should be allowed to carry a loaded long gun.

Because it is a "fish and game" thing precludes the use of long guns for any other purpose.

Amen.

I hope I never have to move back to MA. I'm finally used to just throwing the guns in the back of the truck if I'm going straight up to the woods, or on the back seat if I'm stopping somewhere they might get stolen from the bed. And keeping a 'truck gun(s)', and random spare ammo in cupholders. And brass gets thrown in the truckbed with the empty beer cans until my yearly car wash.

Never felt like a true MA expat until I cleaned my truck over the summer and found a few rounds under the seat in calibers I don't own. Still have no idea where they came from. Found almost a doz n .22lr and a few 9mm, too. Pretty sure it's still in the ash tray.

I agree that it is precluded. I also believe it is stooopid. If I can carry a loaded pistol / revolver in a vehicle I should be allowed to carry a loaded long gun.

Because it is a "fish and game" thing precludes the use of long guns for any other purpose.

The origin of this law in many states comes from a desire to reduce "roadside hunting". Or as its called nowadays, poaching.

- - - Updated - - -

Amen.

I hope I never have to move back to MA. I'm finally used to just throwing the guns in the back of the truck if I'm going straight up to the woods, or on the back seat if I'm stopping somewhere they might get stolen from the bed. And keeping a 'truck gun(s)', and random spare ammo in cupholders. And brass gets thrown in the truckbed with the empty beer cans until my yearly car wash.

Never felt like a true MA expat until I cleaned my truck over the summer and found a few rounds under the seat in calibers I don't own. Still have no idea where they came from. Found almost a doz n .22lr and a few 9mm, too. Pretty sure it's still in the ash tray.

This was an adjustment for me moving into MA even from CT. I have brass everywhere in my car, and there was loaded ammo in the cup holders, between the seats. The reality is, absent a firearm, ammo just isn't very dangerous.

The origin of this law in many states comes from a desire to reduce "roadside hunting". Or as its called nowadays, poaching.

Yes, I do get it. Doesn't change the fact that the idea that " the only possible reason one would have a loaded long arm would be for hunting".
There are non hunting reasons to posses long arms.

You can keep ammo in your cup holder, rolling around on the floor of the car, etc., in Massachusetts. The requirement in 527 CMR 13.04 to store ammunition, primers, and powder in original containers inside "a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use" only applies to building and other structures (MGL ch 148 sec 13). A "structure" is "a combination of materials assembled at a fixed location to give support or shelter, such as a building" (527 CMD 13.03).

Not that it's a good idea.

Last edited:
Except for out of state residents. It's illegal to possess ammunition without an FID card. I was paranoid enough to worry about brass. Seems like they could pop me for that too.

Hey quick question... I drive by the range that I am a member of regularly and I sometimes want to pop in for an hour to shoot at the outdoor rifle range. Do you guys drive around with a rifle / shotgun in their hatch often? Or only when going specifically to the range? I end up leaving it in there, with a trigger lock on it, or in a black gun case. Then I worry about forgetting to lock my car at night... things like that. I feel like I should remove the gun and put it in the house every night, but I am getting complacent, and I worry that this is too risky...

Its a noob question, I know.....

-Steve
Are you complacent or lazy? Who cares that the law says.........I mean.....how hard is it to take it in the house? I bet you are that guy that pulls into a dunkin donut drive through and sit there with 12 cars in front of you while I park ......go In......get my coffee and be gone while you've moved up 2 spots.

And as far as safety......I live in a pretty good neighborhood.......retired folks and families......and in 15 years my car has been broken into 3 times....

For the love of god just take the gun in the house......not because its the law......because its common sense

I never leave anything in the truck I wouldn't want stolen. All long guns are empty, locked and under the bench seat when transporting.

Yup and yup.

Do you even trunk gun, bro?

ETA I'm in NH, soo.... [thinking]

Yup again.

Welcome to MA, where everything is illegal. I wonder how many people commit felonies on a daily basis without even knowing it?! My guess is tens of thousands. I have been reading up on this law for sometime, and honestly, I am not confident that I completely understand it. I tend to just double-lock everything to be safe [laugh]MA sux

Pretty sad state we've ended up in.

The origin of this law in many states comes from a desire to reduce "roadside hunting". Or as its called nowadays, poaching. ...

Good points. Poaching should just be illegal, but not having a long gun in your car unlocked. I'm undecided on the unloaded part, but I'm tired right now.

From a VERY quick Google search:
Guns Stolen From Police Cruiser

2 Police Guns Stolen from Cruiser

Guns stolen from cruiser

Guns Stolen From Cruiser

Police Gun Stolen From Cruiser

Tpr's gun stolen from cruiser, man sentenced to jail

Loaded Gun stolen 20 Oct Gun stolen from state trooper’s car

Back
Top Bottom