• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which model Garand to get from CMP?

Stryker

NES Member
Hi gang - thinking about getting my first Garand this winter from the CMP.

Have a very super noob question though.

On CMP's site you have the choice of three models:

1. M1 Garand, WRA (Winchester)
2. M1 Garand, SA (Springfield)
3. M1 Garand, HRA (Harrington & Richardson)

Is one model type more desirable than others?
What would you recommend?

Thanks for the help!

From my completly uneducated, biast and non logical view, I would go with:
M1 Garand, SA (Springfield)

mainly because I would want a Springfield M1

Disclaimer: I have no reason for this decision what so ever.

I don't think there is much quality difference between the three, as the US Army heavily inspected all of them. During WWII, M1 rifles were built by Springfield and Winchester. Far more were produced by Springfield than Winchester. International and H&R only built M1 rifles after WWII.

http://www.scott-duff.com/WhoHowManyWhen.htm

3. M1 Garand, HRA (Harrington & Richardson)

In my (somewhat limited) experience I have seen more nice HRAs than any other brand. I think it's because many of them were made at the tail end of production and usage, and so are less beat up.

hmmm when I went through this I was torn. [thinking] Am I collecting or shooting[smile] shooting......[thinking] [smile] that CMP special sure looks good[thinking][thinking][thinking] ahhh maybe a field grade to start,,,,,,man the cmp special looks nice.[thinking][thinking][thinking] how much money do I have. I went and talked to some of the other CMP owners down @ the club......in general I got this reply

If you looking for shooters you really cant beat the service grades for price. I would buy 2 service grades before the CMP special it will only run you a touch more then you can get 2 different makes. The price differential between the manufactures is purely colector value. For shooting there is not a whole lot of difference between the manufactures.
I love my 2 Sprinfield Service grades 42 and 52 both look about the same in wear and tear. The newer one(52) has a 55 barrel on it and looks to me fired very little.

You get a pretty nice looking hard case now with one. Better than the cardboard box mine came in. I will say though CMP has the best rifle shipping boxes I have seen.

I noticed they do not have any rack grades at this time. If I where to purchase another CMP it would be another Sprinfield service grade.....for shooting of course.

What I did do...........ordered a SA service grade and a few cans of ammo, then they imposed the 10 case limit I bought 10 cases I had to split it 5 of the 240rnd cans and 5 192 round cans as the sold out of the 240cans. Not so bad I sold a few of the clips and bandoleers for a few bucks each.
Loved the 1st one so much purchased a 2nd and requested a WWII erra serial numbered one. Not sure if they picked it or I got lucky ended up with a 42 and if memory serves me it has a 1957 barrel on it which looks really nice also. nice clean crown but the bore is a bit frosty.
my best score so far is a 388----I do not shoot much.

Last edited:
It Depends

I have purchased several garands over the past ten years (most for myself and a couple as retirement gifts). The Garands I own are shooters, and not necessarily collectors (Although IMO any garand with a WWII era receiver is a veteran worthy of respect). Again, IMO for shooting the Service Grades (Winchester being rarer than SA) represent the best bargain out there and if you want the best garand available for around a grand (Sorry) the CMP Special Grade is the way to go.

Last edited:
There's no perceptible difference in quality or reliability. All parts are perfectly interchangeable.

I'd go with the Winny only because it's considerably rarer...but not rare enough to put it under glass. I wouldn't pamper it. I'd shoot the snot out of it.

just a note, the CMP Garands are well worth the wait. What I came across locally might as well been boat oars with pipes for handles for more money than a service grades from the CMP.....my next gun purchase will be a Garand or a WWII vintage 45????

I just received my Winchester service grade today!!!!! Beautiful gun, TE of 1.5 a muzzle of 2. They are putting new walnut stocks on and the metal is all reblued. These are the service grades. I'm putting and order for a Springfield in tomorrow.

I have a Springfield and I love it. I wanted one of those becuase they were the original. Mine was made in June of 41, it is a Service Grade. I lucked out the finish is great and the wood is brand new. You can't go wrong eaither way though.

Back
Top Bottom