• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which "Free State" AR to buy?

Well, I was bored at work. Waiting for me in Tennessee will be:
Anderson 76942 AM15 Optic Ready RF85 Semi-Automatic 223 Remington/5.56 NATO 16

and the:
Century Arms VSKA AK47 762X39 30RD Wood Furniture

Bought the Bud's "Lifetime Warranty" on both, including shipping, so if one is poorly behaved it'll be their problem:)

@SHOCKNAWE Good idea, maybe I'll sell the Windham and M&P Lowers, or at least list them. Project for another day...
@Roland Deschain Another good plan, in line with my original thinking. Once I get down there maybe I will. Of course, there's a Mares Leg and either an AK Pistol on the list also so...
@TheGreekFreak Agreed, $1300 for a rifle I paid $600 for 7 years ago seems wrong, but that's the market. I'd be happy to consider offers but NOBODY has responded. So maybe it'll just be a Yankee-Russian gun. Or a Russian-Yankee?
@dw617 Thanks for your valuable contribution.

After all those suggestions including KAC, BCM, LMT, Colt, etc, this seems like such a let down to end up with an Anderson. Like going to a lobster buffet and end up eating day old rolls. At least the price is right. Good luck with your move.

Well, I was bored at work. Waiting for me in Tennessee will be:
Anderson 76942 AM15 Optic Ready RF85 Semi-Automatic 223 Remington/5.56 NATO 16

and the:
Century Arms VSKA AK47 762X39 30RD Wood Furniture

Bought the Bud's "Lifetime Warranty" on both, including shipping, so if one is poorly behaved it'll be their problem:)
Hope you get a good VSKA. It sort of passed the AK Operator's test, though with some malfunctions. At least you got a warranty.

Have to agree with @TomMontana though. Feels like "hey guys, in MA I can only drive a Hyundai, what car should I buy when I move?" "Well, there's Porsche, BMW, Audi, maybe a nice Jeep or Land Rover."

"I grabbed a Camry and a Prius."

They'll work and are an upgrade, but we were hoping for something sexy!

Last edited:
You really can't go wrong with any gun above say $700. Just pulled a number since I haven't priced AR's in a while.

I just bought a Saint 'pistol'. It seems to run just fine. I built an AR10 and have an Armalite AR that I've been happy with. I've only encountered one Bushmaster, but I wasn't thrilled with the quality of how it went together. There's plenty of sub-$1k guns that will do what you want.

I love the term “Beater” and “SHTF” rifles. People always tend to recommend stacking cheap guns for SHTF but when and if that ever happened why the F**K would you want some cheaper piece of shit that might not be reliable? It’s beyond my way of thinking lol. I got 3 SHTF rifles and they are my best rifles, I got a few “Beaters” that I shoot the shit out of, practice with ect but I still clean them and take care of them. Put a solid rifle or 2 in your safe OP and beat the shit out of the ones you already got and shoot often. Regarding your WASR it’s a free market and it’s nobodys business what your selling your gun for but the bottom line a used WASR for a gouging $1300 and 25 cents a round is not going to move quickly in my opinion, even to the poor people behind enemy lines in pathetic Massachusetts

I love the term “Beater” and “SHTF” rifles. People always tend to recommend stacking cheap guns for SHTF but when and if that ever happened why the F**K would you want some cheaper piece of shit that might not be reliable? It’s beyond my way of thinking lol. I got 3 SHTF rifles and they are my best rifles, I got a few “Beaters” that I shoot the shit out of, practice with ect but I still clean them and take care of them. Put a solid rifle or 2 in your safe OP and beat the shit out of the ones you already got and shoot often.
This was basically my thought process behind getting my BCM once I moved out of state. I have the same ethos. I have a "serviceable" Stag, a then an M16A1 clone which works but is a fun gun, and then the BCM. Working on doing the same with AK (although my WASR runs fine and I have a Saiga, too) and maybe the FAL.

I have one rifle that I need to strip and switch the lower receiver of (my very first AR, poly lower from during the first Obama scare). Except for that, ALL my rifles are SHTF rifles. If I wouldn't take it into a fight, I don't own it. And they are all beaters, because I don't do safe queens. Less shit, better quality. I will never own those "just as good as..." Brands (they're not) like bear creek, Anderson, PSA. If I could afford it, I'd own KAC and LMT only.

I'd own KAC

MuH rOuNdEd BuRLt LuRgS!!!11!!!! [laugh]

But srsly guys, I think you should have one rifle that is set up proper for your use, and don't f*** with it once it is there. You should know it is zero'd (and check it's zero every few months) and that includes the folded irons that no one ever checks, know the sling is just right for you, be comfortable with where your light/laser/vibrator switches are and that they work, clean it well once a year, know your hold overs and be confident that it will go bang and hit what you are pointing it at. If you have that, every other lego rifle you have is gravy.

I have one rifle that I need to strip and switch the lower receiver of (my very first AR, poly lower from during the first Obama scare). Except for that, ALL my rifles are SHTF rifles. If I wouldn't take it into a fight, I don't own it. And they are all beaters, because I don't do safe queens. Less shit, better quality. I will never own those "just as good as..." Brands (they're not) like bear creek, Anderson, PSA. If I could afford it, I'd own KAC and LMT only.

And the debate goes on and on.

Quantity has a quality all its own.

Last edited:
Do what I did sir. Buy an LMT MARS-L. hot swap barrel function, full ambi, and a monolithic upper. Everyone at the range will be jelous and you will have a gun that is as heavy duty as it is Gucci.
This one here is a steal

LMT CQB Mars AR-15 Burnt Bronze - 14.5" CQBMLK14-MARSFTB

Yup, LMT. I freakin love mine.

Noveske and LaRue make very nice stuff too, but a little over priced.

Aero Precision make nice stuff for their price bracket, too.

Hope you get a good VSKA. It sort of passed the AK Operator's test, though with some malfunctions. At least you got a warranty.

Have to agree with @TomMontana though. Feels like "hey guys, in MA I can only drive a Hyundai, what car should I buy when I move?" "Well, there's Porsche, BMW, Audi, maybe a nice Jeep or Land Rover."

"I grabbed a Camry and a Prius."

They'll work and are an upgrade, but we were hoping for something sexy!

Given some of the links dropped in this thread that's unfair to Camry and priuses.... lots of yugos and trabants... [laugh]

-Mike

Agreed, $1300 for a rifle I paid $600 for 7 years ago seems wrong, but that's the market. I'd be happy to consider offers but NOBODY has responded.

Then apparently that’s not the market.

Anyway, selling a working, non-canted WASR and using the proceeds to buy two American-made pieces of shit is a mistake.

For ARs I always recommend the Colt LE6920. It may not have all the features of the Gucci ARs but it’s reliable, affordable, and will kill people just the same.

Back
Top Bottom