• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which "Free State" AR to buy?

To me, it works with ARs like it works with women. As soon as I got one, I like all the other ones better.
Better yet

Keep them all and have them on rotation. As soon as one falls out (from selling or breaking), you still have others to lean on.

I have a hammer forged BCM that sits in the back of my safe with my irons only carbine. I have 2 AR's that I jam out with most these days, my 16" SPR, and my 14.5" URGI. The SPR is scoped, the URGI is set up for close in and NV shooting. I like them both very much and don't really see much a need for anything else from a DI gun.

My MCX on the other hand is kind of a do it all pretty good gun, and now that I have it stamped back together, it will likely see the most use.

for value, BCM for sure. but my favorite are the LMT rifles. the LWRC are also amazing but I'm not into the piston guns as much. the LMT MARS lowers are simply awesome.

I bought a used Noveske from a member here and it was smoother, better finished and more accurate than the one I assembled with a complete BCM uppers and Rock River NM lower kit.
But where they the same?
Barrel, twist, chamber , gas system and such.
Running a carbine length gas system vs rifle length will make a huge difference in how it feels with recoil and noise.
Plus i will add . Having and obnoxious muzzle brake can really distract shooters from shooting well.

Unless they are going above and beyond MIL SPEC and each part is physically tested , measured prior to assembly theres really no need to pay more for high priced guns.
Especially if its a SHTF carbine shooting run of the mil M193/855

Last edited:
I'll say this - my nipples still get hard looking at Galil pistols with braces. Damn. What an awesome gun. And it's available in both .223 and x39.

Another vote for BCM.

Until/unless I find an AK that can beat it, it is my "emergency" rifle.

I don't know the Tennessee laws, but maybe you should look at getting the 01 or 07 FFL as a home occupation if that can be done there. Jack.

Home based FFLs are legal in Tennessee, they now comprise 50% of the FFLs in the state and pretty sure they have a non preemption law too where no municipality can make the laws any stricter than state law.

Went poking (again) on Bud's website and found these AR pattern rifles:
Del-Ton Echo 316M .223 REM 5.56 NATO 30RD
Del-Ton Sierra 316L Optics Ready 223 REM | 5.56 NATO

Then I read this:
Gun Test: Del-Ton's Echo 316M Rifle

Unless there's a real good reason to NOT buy them I'm gonna order a couple. Buy, put low-end holo sights on for a start, sight 'em in, leave 'em in the safe.

And just to make it MORE fun, let's throw an AK pattern rifle in...
Century Arms C39 V2 SA:
Century Arms C39 V2 SA 7.62x39mm 16.5

Century Arms VSKA AK47:
Century Arms VSKA AK47 762X39 30RD Wood Furniture

Thoughts from the NES braintrust?

To answer @Greg and others and completely out myself, I like shooting, don't mind cleaning, but I am NOT a smith nor do I pretend to be one. Since I came to gun ownership late (in my late 30's I never grew up around them, and I really HATE taking things apart and not being able to put them back together. So I ask for advice, because NOT asking is dumb. So also specifically to @Greg, advice is welcome, snarky comments that serve only to prove your hypothetical manhood and attempt to emasculate me prove the old adage: "Better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and PROVE oneself to be one." Although in this case, feel free to substitute "an a**h***" for "one" at the end.

Then I read this:

Unless there's a real good reason to NOT buy them I'm gonna order a couple. Buy, put low-end holo sights on for a start, sight 'em in, leave 'em in the safe.

Century Arms C39 V2 SA:

Century Arms VSKA AK47:

To answer @Greg and others and completely out myself, I like shooting, don't mind cleaning, but I am NOT a smith nor do I pretend to be one. Since I came to gun ownership late (in my late 30's I never grew up around them, and I really HATE taking things apart and not being able to put them back together. So I ask for advice, because NOT asking is dumb. So also specifically to @Greg, advice is welcome, snarky comments that serve only to prove your hypothetical manhood and attempt to emasculate me prove the old adage: "Better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and PROVE oneself to be one." Although in this case, feel free to substitute "an a**h***" for "one" at the end.

Do you prefer the term cheap or frugal?

Then I read this:

Del-Ton is skinflint garbage, I didn't even realize they were still in business. It's gutter trash like olympic, etc.

If you're trying to flint at least buy Colt 6920/40s. They're cheap and still built pretty well.

Century Arms C39 V2 SA:

Century Arms VSKA AK47:

More skinflint junk, wouldn't touch. Gun shops buy those things because price point.

-Mike

Then I read this:

Century Arms C39 V2 SA:

Century Arms VSKA AK47:

Noooo way on those AKs. One step up from I.O., but the C39v2 is a nice appearanced POS. AKOUL's test basically disintegrated the thing in under 5000 rounds. I've heard of VSKA's having problems, but they're still fairly new.

Stick to one of the new WASRs (Atlantic Firearms QC checks them for canted sights, etc.) or one of Zastava's newer entries if on a budget, or go for an Arsenal or higher tier if you've got more money.

PSA has started making US made AKs that look promising and have forged trunnions, but I would wait a bit longer to see how they last.

Then I read this:

Century Arms C39 V2 SA:

Century Arms VSKA AK47:

any reason your stuck on Buds Gun Shop.
For not much more $$$ you can order in other rifles and pay what ever Buds transfer fees are.
I also have this thing nagging me. If your gonna go cheap go cheap!.

BCA | Rifles | AR-15, AR-10, & AR-9

Theres a part of me also that says get out and then order a rifle and a can from Yankee Hill machine back here in MA.
Complete Rifles - YHM Rifles | YHM Firearms Manufacturer

i have one of the NES YHM group buy lowers, it works

Last edited:
Not trying to cheap out, but I want to add some depth to the safe. As I said in the OP, I want spares for friends and neighbors if need be. I have 100-300 yard guns, I've been fairly strategic in what I have purchased over the last few years and why, serving assorted needs, etc. And yes, there have been some "fun" purchases also. In the current political climate, I want to make sure that I don't get caught flat-footed like many of us did on July 20th. I was fortunate enough that day to have been running errands when Lady Radtekk called me with a "Did you hear? WTF?" and I immediately detoured to my LGS and as a good customer I avoided the "Deli Counter" atmosphere and bought two of his incoming AR's. I'm not panicking, but I can see a similar potential here to get blindsided. Three months from now my finances will be a little different, but I just took $30k out of the bank for a downpayment, have another $15k in renovations and upgrades in the pipe, am moving 1000 miles away, and don't really have quite the financial depth I will once I find a new job that I don't yet have. So it's buy what I can afford, not necessarily what I want.

That's finances... Logistically, Bud's is 22 minutes from my new home, they have the inventory, they will hold or layaway, and are clear on the local laws regarding purchase and transfer. Certainly more so than I am, and damn sure better than 99.9% of the NES membership that DOESN'T live in Tennessee. Buying something while still an MA resident and having it held for 30-60 days until I'm a PRESENT resident (not just a homeowner with no TN DL) is a relatively unique situation. No, not unheard of, but a little outside kitchen table FFL territory, and if I'm going to drop $2000+ on guns I won't even SEE for 6 weeks I'd like to have the confidence of Bud's staying in business longer than "Scooter".

So while I appreciate the advice regarding FIREARMS, I have no use for the sour grapes or criticism of my motives or finances. That can be tightly rolled, compressed, and returned vigorously and without lubrication to the back hole from whence it came.

Also, those who say I should leave my MA guns behind, take a look at the WTS Rifle ads. There are a number of MA AR's available, and MY ad for an AK "package" has been up for nearly a month with NOT A SINGLE inquiry. I have over $1400 in my Windham, I'm not stripping parts to make it "affordable" and I'm not gonna sell it for less than it will cost to replace it in Tennessee. Anybody that really wants to spend $2000 for a $1400 gun (Rifle, trigger, bipod, forend, scope) is welcome to contact me, but I doubt my mailbox is going to bust any time soon. My time has value, and it would take me $600 minimum worth of time to buy, set up and zero a new gun. As I said in my AK ad, "Show me where my math is wrong and I'll adjust". I'll wait...

I’m going to go against the grain here and suggest another Windham but perhaps a different configuration. VEX? IMHO, functionality, reliability, and quality as good as or better than any of the tacti-cool brands. Any premium paid beyond that is for ‘sprinkles on top’. Some others would be Colt, Seekins, Spikes Tactical.

OP. Here is s suggestion for you. Take your MA Lowers and sell them. Order the same lowers from Buds for MUCH Cheaper and put them on your rifle, takes like 10 seconds so your time isnt bring cheeped out and you keep the AR’s essentially in MA and you make a few bucks.

I'll probably get roasted for this... but if your budget is around 2k, you could stack 4 PSA complete rifles. I own one, and have zero issues. Get a pile of mid-gassed keymod upper guns. Light. Functional. Hand them out like candy if SHTF lol

If you’re really into some numbers in the safe buy one decent complete rifle and maybe a free lowers. That way you get a good rifle and a few tickets you can turn into nicely outfitted implements a little ways down the road.

In my collecting career I’ve went the instant gratification route a few times and every time I’ve later sold and replaced that stuff with slightly better products I wanted all along.

Since Buds is close by these look like some pretty good options:
Colt CAR 5.56 16 No Furniture

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/106406/sig+sauer+m400+tread+556mm+16"+blk+mlok

There are also windham, stag, and SW options in the price range too.

As I said in my AK ad, "Show me where my math is wrong and I'll adjust". I'll wait...

First off, congrats on the new place! Sounds great, jealous of all that breathing room.

IMO while I don't think you're out of line in terms of price for the mass AK market, I can't say I'm surprised its a tough sell for anyone to drop $1300 on a wasr10. What is that, almost twice what its normally worth? Its just a bit too much of a premium for something that has less of a demand than an AR, at least for now.

I was looking for an arsenal SAM7R for a while and just picked one up for $1350 with 400 rounds, a bakelite, and a poly chrome follower......and I consider that a panic buy on my part just because I really wanted one soon.

I obviously wouldn't take a loss but I would sell anything that isn't hard to find in TN and that you could make a little profit on here. You could just go buy them all brand new at Buds and pocket the difference. Even if its a few hundred bucks.....why not? Less stuff to bring over too. Couple hundred on the AK alone even if you lower the price.

Oh....and any time I see a dark bronze noveske, my mouth waters. I know its above the budget but that would be on my want list right off the bat.

Well, I was bored at work. Waiting for me in Tennessee will be:
Anderson 76942 AM15 Optic Ready RF85 Semi-Automatic 223 Remington/5.56 NATO 16

and the:

Bought the Bud's "Lifetime Warranty" on both, including shipping, so if one is poorly behaved it'll be their problem:)

@SHOCKNAWE Good idea, maybe I'll sell the Windham and M&P Lowers, or at least list them. Project for another day...
@Roland Deschain Another good plan, in line with my original thinking. Once I get down there maybe I will. Of course, there's a Mares Leg and either an AK Pistol on the list also so...
@TheGreekFreak Agreed, $1300 for a rifle I paid $600 for 7 years ago seems wrong, but that's the market. I'd be happy to consider offers but NOBODY has responded. So maybe it'll just be a Yankee-Russian gun. Or a Russian-Yankee?
@dw617 Thanks for your valuable contribution.

Not trying to cheap out, but I want to add some depth to the safe. As I said in the OP, I want spares for friends and neighbors if need be. I have 100-300 yard guns, I've been fairly strategic in what I have purchased over the last few years and why, serving assorted needs, etc. And yes, there have been some "fun" purchases also. In the current political climate, I want to make sure that I don't get caught flat-footed like many of us did on July 20th. I was fortunate enough that day to have been running errands when Lady Radtekk called me with a "Did you hear? WTF?" and I immediately detoured to my LGS and as a good customer I avoided the "Deli Counter" atmosphere and bought two of his incoming AR's. I'm not panicking, but I can see a similar potential here to get blindsided. Three months from now my finances will be a little different, but I just took $30k out of the bank for a downpayment, have another $15k in renovations and upgrades in the pipe, am moving 1000 miles away, and don't really have quite the financial depth I will once I find a new job that I don't yet have. So it's buy what I can afford, not necessarily what I want.

That's finances... Logistically, Bud's is 22 minutes from my new home, they have the inventory, they will hold or layaway, and are clear on the local laws regarding purchase and transfer. Certainly more so than I am, and damn sure better than 99.9% of the NES membership that DOESN'T live in Tennessee. Buying something while still an MA resident and having it held for 30-60 days until I'm a PRESENT resident (not just a homeowner with no TN DL) is a relatively unique situation. No, not unheard of, but a little outside kitchen table FFL territory, and if I'm going to drop $2000+ on guns I won't even SEE for 6 weeks I'd like to have the confidence of Bud's staying in business longer than "Scooter".

So while I appreciate the advice regarding FIREARMS, I have no use for the sour grapes or criticism of my motives or finances. That can be tightly rolled, compressed, and returned vigorously and without lubrication to the back hole from whence it came.

Also, those who say I should leave my MA guns behind, take a look at the WTS Rifle ads. There are a number of MA AR's available, and MY ad for an AK "package" has been up for nearly a month with NOT A SINGLE inquiry. I have over $1400 in my Windham, I'm not stripping parts to make it "affordable" and I'm not gonna sell it for less than it will cost to replace it in Tennessee. Anybody that really wants to spend $2000 for a $1400 gun (Rifle, trigger, bipod, forend, scope) is welcome to contact me, but I doubt my mailbox is going to bust any time soon. My time has value, and it would take me $600 minimum worth of time to buy, set up and zero a new gun. As I said in my AK ad, "Show me where my math is wrong and I'll adjust". I'll wait...

Are you just deliberately ignoring PSA or have you just not heard of them?

I'll probably get roasted for this... but if your budget is around 2k, you could stack 4 PSA complete rifles. I own one, and have zero issues. Get a pile of mid-gassed keymod upper guns. Light. Functional. Hand them out like candy if SHTF lol

Everyone should have one or two beater handouts for said booger loops.

@TheGreekFreak Agreed, $1300 for a rifle I paid $600 for 7 years ago seems wrong, but that's the market. I'd be happy to consider offers but NOBODY has responded. So maybe it'll just be a Yankee-Russian gun. Or a Russian-Yankee?

Ya but I see that as the ceiling of what a WASR10 is worth here right now, assuming a very motivated buyer, which is why they sit around in the classifieds at that price forever. If you wait long enough....maybe you find someone interested in that range, but I would say below $1K gets it done quick before you have to leave.

Keep in mind people also don't want to throw out insulting offers. Even if you sell it for "only" $900, that's $300 profit on that one mass produced easy to find gun without breaking a sweat. You can always pick up the same exact thing in TN and have the $300 in your pocket to burn, just from that one gun. But no one would offer you that when the list price sounds like $1300 firm out of fear of insult.

Would just be a waste to take it with you when its worth more here imo, even if you don't get top of the MA market value. Plus you give someone here a chance to own something that most people see as limited supply with no new ones coming in (for the time being). Just my $0.02.

Even PSA's crap grade stuff is at least better than del-ton....

Back
Top Bottom