Which defense ammo for .22 resolver?

When I posted .22 ammo question yesterday, not sure why someone would think is a joke. There are a lot people out there due to limitation, .22 is what they feel the most comfortable.

I have no intention to start any threads such as .22 VS or whatever caliber, or baseball bat VS butter knife. If you want to post any comments other than .22 ammo, please start a thread in the chit chat section.

I posted the response asking if it was a joke. My apologies if you were offended. I've seen threads posted here that are jokes to start off with and was just verifying. My response was to go to a larger cal of .357.....the reason is you can start off with smaller loads and move up. Probably should have been more specific in my response. My opinion....and take it for what it is worth....even after reading all the posts on the effectiveness of .22 in a self defense fire arm is that you should chose the highest caliber hand gun you can shoot accurately and carry that. If you have problems with .38 special, .380 ACP your goal should be to work on your skills and eventually move out of carrying a .22 and move up the ladder of higher caliber.

Whacko does bring up a great point.

I have shot .38 spcl wadcutter loads that didn't recoil much more than a .22. Very very tame. So the beauty of a .357 magnum revolver, is you can shoot the 150 ft-lb 38 special wadcutters for practice, or with a recoil sensitive shooter. But you can still shoot 800 ft-lb monster .357 loads if you want to.

Of course practice will be about 10x more expensive than with a .22. I guess thats what you give up for having such versatility.

Don

p.s. To put this into perspective, a 40 gr bullet from a Velocitor running at 1400 fps has 174 ft-lbs of energy.

Last edited:
Whacko does bring up a great point.

I have shot .38 spcl wadcutter loads that didn't recoil much more than a .22. Very very tame. So the beauty of a .357 magnum revolver, is you can shoot the 150 ft-lb 38 special wadcutters for practice, or with a recoil sensitive shooter. But you can still shoot 800 ft-lb monster .357 loads if you want to.

Of course practice will be about 10x more expensive than with a .22. I guess thats what you give up for having such versatility.

This.

It seems like you're not going to use anything other than a 22 and we can't convince you otherwise, which is absolutely fine and your choice. We are simply trying to help you defend yourself + others. A 22 can be stupid easy to shoot but I would never trust my life on it. I understand where you're coming from and I know how deadly the 22 can be with the right shot placement. Practice with the 22 Stingers and try a 38spl or 9mm 115gr when you get a chance, you may fall in love. But if you want a 22 defense round , the Stingers and Velicitors are phenomenal loads.

Sent from my POS iPhone

If a .22 handgun were all I had, I'd stick with minimags, stingers or velocitors. If you can put 6 rounds into an attacker's face quickly, you're most likely going to be OK.

If a .22 handgun were all I had, I'd stick with minimags, stingers or velocitors. If you can put 6 rounds into an attacker's face quickly, you're most likely going to be OK.

This- not to mention CCI's premium grade stuff has pretty reliable ignition.

-Mike

and with the lack of recoil and the ridiculous amount of practice you can log with a 22 face shots with a good piece of equipment should be a cake walk! i agree with mike, the CCI stuff is premium. it works in everything I've ever had reliably and accurately. if i was choosing i would go with what was said above. stingers, velocitors, or mini mags in that order [smile]

I wish the PMR-30 was available in mass, as the 22 mag is an even better low recoil option and has plenty of snot. at that point i would use Hornady ballistic tip ammo.

I have a bull barreled Ruger 10/22. Its currently got a Kidd trigger in it set for about 2# with a .920" x 16" Shillen match bbl. The gun is heavy and accurate, the trigger is very very nice.

DSC_1339.jpg

Just for yucks, one day, I played around with how quickly I could fire 10 rounds into a 10" paper plate from about 30 ft away.

I found that if all I needed was "combat accuracy", meaning all 10 shots in the plate but not in a tiny group, I could empty the mag into the plate in just a hair over 2 seconds. Think about that. It means that in a home defense situation, where you should be able to establish some standoff distance, you might be very well armed with a 10/22 and a 30 round mag.

I'm not saying its the best choice. Just that its not a bad choice. If you were trained properly, to keep squeezing the trigger till the bad guy either turns and runs or drops, then this high rate of accurate fire is going to be effective.

In contrast, fire from almost any handgun would be much slower and much less accurate. Provided you don't have to move in the building, a 10/22 loaded to the gills with Velocitors may actually be a better choice for a small or inexperienced shooter than any handgun.

This- not to mention CCI's premium grade stuff has pretty reliable ignition.

-Mike

I've never had any premium CCI stuff (Velocitor, Stinger, Minimag) go CLICK when it was properly whacked by the gun its in.

Last edited:
The reasons why I asked .22 ammo, it was due to my GF had shot some rounds down the rage, and .22 is "the one" she feels the most comfortable. Instead of pushing her into 9 mm or .45, I am going to stick with what she wants.

Again, not interested to start a thread like short gun is a better choice, because she is "The one" who is going to that firearm, let pick the right ammo for the job.

Back
Top Bottom