which 1911 is the best bang for your buck?

I guess my goal is to get an inexpensive 1911 and build it up into a racegun as finances allows.

If you are looking for a 1911 racegun, as in ported, comped and with a red dot, I know of a Kimber that may be for sale. I can find out if you are interest. It would alot cheaper to buy one already made then try to build one correctly

All the 1911 models i like arent compliant because they refuse to send MA guns so they can put it through the tests and beat them up to consider them MA compliant thats why MA sucks for guns becuz i would love a Kimber SIS or Springfield Arm. Theres a gun store in Stoneham, MA that has a nice colt 1911 dont know the model and its 600 even but its chrome and I'm looking for a dark blued or black color so far its used colt or new S&W...I have a few guns more long guns then handguns but handguns are my favorite

Is there any chance the Sig 1911s will ever become MA compliant? Most of their othetr line seems readily available.

Number 6

They have said they are looking to get it through. Given the amount of stuff sig puts through, I would be surprised if they dont follow through eventually. Eventually being the operative word there.

I had an interesting conversation with some folks at the range this weekend. One of them swore that Colt 1911's were the worst on the market, saying they had some major defects and recalls as of recent. The other had a Tarus and loved his, he said he had no problems. However, he does not shoot it often, so his mileage may vary. I have to admit that I am surprised by hearing bad things about Colt...
Kimber and S&W still sound like the best choices I have heard so far.. I have yet to hear anything bad about them (except maybe price, but you get what you pay for).

I had an interesting conversation with some folks at the range this weekend. One of them swore that Colt 1911's were the worst on the market, saying they had some major defects and recalls as of recent. The other had a Tarus and loved his, he said he had no problems. However, he does not shoot it often, so his mileage may vary. I have to admit that I am surprised by hearing bad things about Colt...
Kimber and S&W still sound like the best choices I have heard so far.. I have yet to hear anything bad about them (except maybe price, but you get what you pay for).

Opinions on Colt seem to be divided. Some say they are the end-all-be-all of 1911 manufacturing, another group says they are awesome, but much like buying a classic car - you'll need to tinker to get it running just right, and the last group thinks they are over priced crap. Obviously, there are some people who fall in between, but these seem to be the major consensi

From what I've gleaned on Taurus...there are a number of people who own them and really like them, and fine them very reliable. However, when someone gets one that fails, it tends to fail in a major way.

It is interesting the number of S&W 1911 fans on this site. I know it is partially due to the fact that it is essentially the best 1911 available new in MA, but there is a major difference in the number of people who like them here vs other major gun forums. Biggest complaint seems to be the external extractor, and, at least in the case of S&W, this seems to be mostly hate-on-principle. Yes, I'm aware that there are failure issues with external extractors, but some companies (from what I read on the internet [thinking]) seem to just get them right.

The first 1911 I ever shot, and the one that gave me the bug, was a Springfield Armory GI. I now own, as of this weekend, a Mil-Spec version, and am really hankering for a range trip [crying] . They do tend to use MIM parts in their lower end models, but they, by all accounts, are quality MIM molds that aren't cheap crap like much other MIM stuff. SA makes a good base model 1911, and has different packages for different price points. Most accounts point to good customer service and an awesome custom shop.

Kimber gets pretty good reviews, and fill about the same quality niche as the S&W guns. I don't know much more about them. I've fired one, I'm not sure what kind. They tend to be equipped stock with a lot of the custom parts that many people add, anyway.

People love to hate Para, but once you dig through the hate-piles it seems there is less hate for their single action 1911s, and a lot of people really enjoy them. I've fired their commander sized alloy model (LTC PXT?), which rapidly changed my mind away from the revolvers I was looking at back to 1911s. It was a rental gun, and still seemed pretty accurate, and I had no problems with el-cheapo ammunition. There are a number of complaints that the power extractor they put on these dent casings, so if you reload it might be a bad idea to get one.

Norinco is generally spoken well of for the price point (cheap). I know nothing else about these.

Reviews of the Kahr built Auto Ordnance guns are generally good. If you're looking for a cheap base gun or some nostalgic GI styling, this is probably a good option, especially in MA. General consensus is stay away form the West Hurley AO guns...but again, many people seem to be fine with theirs.

Outside of MA, people looking for a cheap-yet-reliable 1911 seem to go for Rock Island Armory. Made in the phillipines, which turns some people off, but they seem to be quality built, and can be had for peanuts in 1911 money. Another good base gun or someone with a 1911 itch that needs to be scratched.

Those seem to be the common ones..it really all depends on what you are looking for in price, add-ons (sites, grips, bobtail, etc), quality, name, resale value, what state you live in, etc etc etc...the great thing about 1911s is there are so many types to choose from, and so many simple customizations to set yours apart.

Opinions on Colt seem to be divided. Some say they are the end-all-be-all of 1911 manufacturing, another group says they are awesome, but much like buying a classic car - you'll need to tinker to get it running just right, and the last group thinks they are over priced crap. Obviously, there are some people who fall in between, but these seem to be the major consensi

As a sidenote....have had many 1911's...all with the intention of competition use (other than one that was strictly carry). Do still have a Kimber Grand Raptor II. Am finding that the Sig design (IMHO) is better than the 1911. Not speaking of Sig's 1911's.

Have a Sig X-5. It is accurate, has an adjustable trigger pull weight, and "fills the hand". Have a Sig P220 Equinox and my wife bought me the Strobe/Laser unit as an early Christmas present. The iron sights are "dead on" and the laser is awesome. Given some of the filthy ammo I was using indoors, the laser cut through all the smoke and was dead on after zeroing. ***Sidenote.....The laser instructions are reversed...need to do the opposite.

Am so pleased with Sig that I have had a P220 X-6 on order since July. Pleasure aside, my patience IS running out. The pieces are super accurate, break down easily for cleaning, and are basically no hassle. Have found that all Sig mags function flawlessly (non-1911), and have never had a FTF or stovepipe. Yes, I'm impressed. Even my "Blackwater" edition P226 with a 30-rd. mag functioned flawlessly time after time....after about 6 mags to test.

Have found problems with my Kimber Grand Raptor II no matter the mag. Have tried Kimber mags, Chip McCormick mags and Pro Mag mags. All result in an occasional FTF....all with 230 gr. Nothing consistent.....but FTF's nonetheless. This has never happened to any of my Sigs.

Disclaimer: No, I have no relationship with Sig whatsoever. [wink] Had to say that so no one gets the wrong idea from my comments. [grin]

1911s

the Norincos I knew were use to make comp guns because the frame and slide were hard.the colts were sloppy which was what they were suposed to be for the military,and people milled the port down so cases would not dent.
why colt never did the things for the civilian market.and why they did not make a double stack in 9 mm for the military trials.the 45 used were wore out guns.colt made 9 mm and 38 super.I have two AMT and a FED ord.all shoot and function perfectly.and I use the cheapest mag the $6.99 ones.

If I missed it in a previous post I'm sorry, but the one of the top one or two production 1911's you can buy anywhere, and you can buy it in MA, is an Infinity (SVI). Pricey, but you get what you pay for in this case.

That being said the SW 1911 is a good value for the money.

Back
Top Bottom