Where's the old stuff hiding?

I see some of those old brown .22’s at Kittery Trading Post, Collectors Gallery and Shooters Outpost. Selection and volume varies, sometimes there’s a lot, sometimes just a few. Here is the KTP used gun inventory page. You can sort it by caliber, manufacturer etc.

I see some of those old brown .22’s at Kittery Trading Post, Collectors Gallery and Shooters Outpost. Selection and volume varies, sometimes there’s a lot, sometimes just a few. Here is the KTP used gun inventory page. You can sort it by caliber, manufacturer etc.

I often think most people think of old 22s like all the sears branded utilitarian , tree rat rifles vs 22lr target guns
The military trainers/match rifles are also not what a lot of people think of either.
The 513 series Remington , 40x , mossbergs of the time where full size rifles for military training and military type matches. They where not really tricked out match rifles also 4.5lb triggers where the norm/ regulation and focus on marksmen ship , hold , breathing , trigger control ectect.
Also shooting fixed distance and target size aka cmp/nra service rifle appleseed resembles this also by having fixed sized targets at x,y,z yards.

about the newest .22 rifle i'd go after is a 10/22. the rest are tacticool curiosities and shit monstrosities as far as i'm concerned. someone wants them but for what i dunno.
FIFY. We’ll have to disagree on this.

Scored a cheap Marlin model 60 on gunbroker. Should be fine for the Appleseed.

I recently bought a S&W M&P 15-22. They no longer make any wood and blued steel rifles and I think that it is becoming a significant trend in the current weapons market.
I remember one instructor telling me that it cost S&W $159 to make a metal frame. It cost $.50 to make a plastic one, and if they mess the frame up, it can be remelted into another one.

It's all about the benjamins.

Going to an Appleseed with my son (thanks again to @nightpoison) and realized that my .22 rifle pickings are kind of slim. I've got a 10/22, well I had one until my son got his hands on it. I've also got a BL-22, but I don't think I should handicap myself with a lever gun. Looks like it's time for a new rifle.
Went to a couple gun stores, and nothing grabbed me. 10/22s everywhere, but I want something different. I don't know what it is, but all the .22s I looked at were new and seemed to just be missing something that I wanted, but didn't know what. It's the same when I look at other guns, nothing gets my attention, it's just row after row of "meh".

Then it dawned on me later - where is all the old shit? Where are all the brown patinaed tube fed .22 rifles that should be stuffed in the corner? Did the gunshops just get rid of them because they weren't moving? The one rifle that I was interested was an old Winchester 290 that had a sticky action - but there were no JC Higgins, Savages, Stevens or Marlins. What happened to these guns?
Tons of "old stuff" at gun shows. I think half the stock there isn't even on the shelf back at the ffl's shop.

I went to the Concord (NH) show a couple weeks ago, there was a table with a * much * older gentleman guarding his wares that included part of a rusty receiver to some random shotgun, which looked like it'd been dug out of a dirt basement floor. And his other stuff wasn't much better. Pretty sure he was not a serious dealer, but there to socialize and maybe get rid of some old junk.

But there were tons of tables with old (but decent) stuff you'll won't necessarily see on a shop's wall.

All I got at the show was a (very) cheesy sword cane and some enjoyable window shopping.

A few years ago I picked up and old BRNO model 4 with this ridiculously long bull barrel and it had an old beat up scope on it and it still shot quarter size hole at 50yds. I put a new scope on it but haven't had it back to the range yet. I think I got for like $150.00.

Look in Cabela's Gun Library. They'll ship from one store to another. The only shop I know of that always has old stuff is Pack & Postal in Lunenburg Ma, but that would be a haul from up north.

Did an Appleseed with a tube fed bolt gun. What an absolute exercise in frustration. Pro tip. Get the big straws from McDonalds, hot glue one end and there you go. Speedloaders!

Also did with my 2 Savages, A22 and B22 because I didn’t want to use a 10/22. Bolt was definitely more challenging but very doable with the mag. Patched on my first attempt.
Yup that's what I used to use with my Marlin semi auto tube fed. Cheap and effective. I just heated the end of the straw with a lighter and pinched closed.

How about a CMMG 22 conversion for your AR?
That would require an AR, so that’s a hard nope on this end. I did toy with the idea of getting one a while back, but I got better.

Was browsing my local shops used firearms today and saw at least 3 old wood 22s at cheap prices and thought of this thread. Idk if op ever comes out this way, or others alreay found him what hes looking for but

This is why I love NES. The number of people that will go shopping for me. Lol

I’m all set for the ‘seed. I’m just waiting on my new to me Marlin 60 to get here. I had one as a kid and always wanted the Ruger because of the magazines. Now I’ve got the Ruger and want the Marlin.

I still wish I’d find more old guns when I’m out. I don’t know what it is, but something about them just calls me in a way the newer guns don’t. Maybe it’s the way I imagine them moaning when I load them, or it’s the quality workmanship or maybe I just like being different.

I haven't found a good shop that sells used stuff since I left North Carolina in 2015.

It's kind of depressing.

While not in your genre or area, the best I did find was a no dash S&W 66 at Abes in New Hampton.

You could try hitting up Josh in Whitefield.
Ahh, Village and Abe's. Quite a trip; only worth it if the NH Gunline has their $#1+ together and can get a handgun check done in a reasonable amount of time. No matter how good the deal, I don't have time to make those trips twice.

I'd guess shops don't want to devote rack space to slow sellers these days. I spent a lot of time at a few shops 5-10 years ago, and they had dozens of rifles like that sitting around with $75-100 price tags on them. Lots of JC Higgins whatevers, Savage .22 gill guns, etc. All gone now.

I'd guess shops don't want to devote rack space to slow sellers these days. I spent a lot of time at a few shops 5-10 years ago, and they had dozens of rifles like that sitting around with $75-100 price tags on them. Lots of JC Higgins whatevers, Savage .22 gill guns, etc. All gone now.
I think there was a decent amount of people 45 plus years old picking up some “guns of their youth” or “guns my dad had” lets face it though a lot of the Utilitarian 22s are just not desirable these days.
Si many had such poor triggers.
Also bolt actions are not in huge demand.

Back
Top Bottom