Where's the old stuff hiding?

tuna

NES Member
Going to an Appleseed with my son (thanks again to @nightpoison) and realized that my .22 rifle pickings are kind of slim. I've got a 10/22, well I had one until my son got his hands on it. I've also got a BL-22, but I don't think I should handicap myself with a lever gun. Looks like it's time for a new rifle.
Went to a couple gun stores, and nothing grabbed me. 10/22s everywhere, but I want something different. I don't know what it is, but all the .22s I looked at were new and seemed to just be missing something that I wanted, but didn't know what. It's the same when I look at other guns, nothing gets my attention, it's just row after row of "meh".

Then it dawned on me later - where is all the old shit? Where are all the brown patinaed tube fed .22 rifles that should be stuffed in the corner? Did the gunshops just get rid of them because they weren't moving? The one rifle that I was interested was an old Winchester 290 that had a sticky action - but there were no JC Higgins, Savages, Stevens or Marlins. What happened to these guns?

There's a fair number on Gunbroker. Look by manufacturer in the regular Rifle section, and also search the Collectible Firearms/Curio & Relic section for 22LR. As much as I like the new stuff, one quick look in the 22LR locker would reveal that I also have a brown rifle problem, and have no interest in being cured. Mostly semi-auto 22LR, they're a bit more LH friendly.

I'm not sure if gunshops stopped taking them in because they wouldn't sell, or if they stopped selling them because the old stuff just wasn't coming in the door. Perhaps all the 'gramps old rifles' showing up at shops these days are all 10/22s and Lakefield Savages because that's what was being sold new back then. I do recall the racks or barrel of old brown 22s at shops or shows - we may have just aged past them. :(

I absolutely understand where your coming from. One of my favorite rifles to shoot is a 1908 Remington pump .22.

However, to get the full benefits of an Appleseed shoot you should have a magazine fed semi-automatic with a GI sling.

The sling is the most important part. Other slings can work, but the GI is the ideal. Instructors will usually have loaner slings, but the rifle should have standard sling mount or QD front and rear.

Semi-auto in my opinion is a very close second to the sling. With a bolt, pump, or lever you will constantly be breaking position and it makes getting stable more difficult. I've seen it done with bolt action successfully. One of my personal goals is to shoot rifleman with a bolt, then pump, and finally lever at some point. But again semi-auto is best.

Tube fed not as big of a deal. Grab some arrows that you can use as speed loaders. Appleseed has a different course of instructions for tube fed to deal with the slower speed. But if you do tube fed, you should try to have at least 10 rnds in the tube, ideally 11.

Appleseed events, usually but not always, have loaner rifles. When the event coordinator reaches out the week before reply that you might need a loaner and they can try to make arrangements. Just in case the rifle you bring isn't working out.

If you do decide to go the 10/22 route and you don't do a clone. The one upgrade that is an absolute must is the auto bolt release. The stock 10/22 is a very capable rifle, but the auto bolt release was something Ruger should have added years ago.

A really nice clone to the 10/22 is the Bergara BXR. Everything is already upgraded.

Last edited:
Going to an Appleseed with my son (thanks again to @nightpoison) and realized that my .22 rifle pickings are kind of slim. I've got a 10/22, well I had one until my son got his hands on it. I've also got a BL-22, but I don't think I should handicap myself with a lever gun. Looks like it's time for a new rifle.
Went to a couple gun stores, and nothing grabbed me. 10/22s everywhere, but I want something different. I don't know what it is, but all the .22s I looked at were new and seemed to just be missing something that I wanted, but didn't know what. It's the same when I look at other guns, nothing gets my attention, it's just row after row of "meh".

Then it dawned on me later - where is all the old shit? Where are all the brown patinaed tube fed .22 rifles that should be stuffed in the corner? Did the gunshops just get rid of them because they weren't moving? The one rifle that I was interested was an old Winchester 290 that had a sticky action - but there were no JC Higgins, Savages, Stevens or Marlins. What happened to these guns?
I've felt this way about my local shop for a few years now. Definitely seems to be a decrease in the amount of "old" firearms.

Just my experience - Went to trade in an old .22 to him, got offered $75. Put it on Gunbroker, got $300. With inflation taking a toll on wallets, if you're considering unloading an old firearm to put some cash back in your pockets, wouldn't you want the most you could get for it? So, less inventory locally, but more inventory online.

Pawn shops are getting that way too. Take $50 for a tv, or throw it on Craigslist/FB Marketplace/etc, and get $200. Unless you absolutely need cash immediately...

Not everybody, of course. Lot of folks resistant to online sales, so some things still trickle into the shops.

Last edited:
I haven't found a good shop that sells used stuff since I left North Carolina in 2015.

It's kind of depressing.

While not in your genre or area, the best I did find was a no dash S&W 66 at Abes in New Hampton.

You could try hitting up Josh in Whitefield.

Im lucky to have several really nice mom and pop shops around. One in particular, seems to get large estates time to time. Some really nice, mint stuff, undoubtedly from a collection, at a pretty steep price often, but, it is what it is.

I absolutely understand where your coming from. One of my favorite rifles to shoot is a 1908 Remington pump .22.

However, to get the full benefits of an Appleseed shoot you should have a magazine fed semi-automatic with a GI sling.

The sling is the most important part. Other slings can work, but the GI is the ideal. Instructors will usually have loaner slings, but the rifle should have standard sling mount or QD front and rear.

Semi-auto in my opinion is a very close second to the sling. With a bolt, pump, or lever you will constantly be breaking position and it makes getting stable more difficult. I've seen it done with bolt action successfully. One of my personal goals is to shoot rifleman with a bolt, then pump, and finally lever at some point. But again semi-auto is best.

Tube fed not as big of a deal. Grab some arrows that you can use as speed loaders. Appleseed has a different course of instructions for tube fed to deal with the slower speed. But if you do tube fed, you should try to have at least 10 rnds in the tube, ideally 11.

Appleseed events, usually but not always, have loaner rifles. When the event coordinator reaches out the week before reply that you might need a loaner and they can try to make arrangements. Just in case the rifle you bring isn't working out.

If you do decide to go the 10/22 route and you don't do a clone. The one upgrade that is an absolute must is the auto bolt release. The stock 10/22 is a very capable rifle, but the auto bolt release was something Ruger should have added years ago.

A really nice clone to the 10/22 is the Bergara BXR. Everything is already upgraded.
Definitely going with the semi auto. From past experience I know the value of the sling. I think I need a scope as well, my eyes aren't as crisp as they were. For some reason, I've got Marlin's model 60 on my brain. I had a 75 as a kid, and really like the clean lines of them.

I haven't found a good shop that sells used stuff since I left North Carolina in 2015.

It's kind of depressing.

While not in your genre or area, the best I did find was a no dash S&W 66 at Abes in New Hampton.

You could try hitting up Josh in Whitefield.

Josh is Village Gun? That is a great store as they usually have some older stuff lying around. I may reach out to him, see what he has. Thanks for the idea.

Josh is Village Gun? That is a great store as they usually have some older stuff lying around. I may reach out to him, see what he has. Thanks for the idea.

Yep

I haven't been in yet this year, so no idea what he has laying around.

I need to stop by, but I'm afraid I'll find something in stock as I'm flat broke, my Land Use Change Tax bill is about to be processed, I'm moving next month, and I have zero impulse control when it comes to good guns.

NES classifieds? ;) I have an old Remington bolt action 513T that drives tacks. Shot a few matches in the high 90's out of possible 100, 25 yards bullseye was 0.15" (tiny). Has sling loops that you will need for Appleseed. Also check @mac1911 , he always has a bunch of old 22's.

NES classifieds? ;) I have an old Remington bolt action 513T that drives tacks. Shot a few matches in the high 90's out of possible 100, 25 yards bullseye was 0.15" (tiny). Has sling loops that you will need for Appleseed. Also check @mac1911 , he always has a bunch of old 22's.
I do have a few coming up, not that great for appleseed I will admit.
I think we are inbetween “old guns” available.
if you where born after 1970 you probably have memories of the “old” 22s your dad had or that where being used in the matches
Anschutz, 40x , Win 75s and the like. I think alot if us in that bracket bought up whats out there. I also think the slightly older gen has not let go yet.

There are slew of accurate 22s made from the dawn of 22 until the late 90s before anchutz, walther just dominate the match 22lr game.
I posted a few here and the older 40s-70s marlins/savage/mossberg where generally well used or flat out forgotten and rusted away.

Also what has faded is your standard “match” format of sitting, standing , prone , rapid fire.

Although 22lr game has revisited the long range game in recent yesrs. Growing up 22lr 200 yard prone matches where not uncommon.
Keep looking I have seen some vintage anchutz from the 80s-90s that will do anything your capable of sell for short money vs what you pay for something “new” these days. Especially when they come with the match sights.

Last edited:

Sometimes you have to just make up something yourself to get what you want/need.

If I where you I would frequent 22lr forums

Or start thinking about what you want/need out of your set up
Gene at out back arms had a good amount of vintage target 22s
Most where heavily favored to right hand shooters so that put me out.
I put mach sights on almost every 22 I have or at least capable of setting up.
I have a ruger 10/22 I decked out just for appleseed if I ever get to one….im ready. Bottom in picture

Also if you have a tube fed or even a bolt action and are proficient with it you just might make the cut.
Heck I did a few “rapid fire” stages with my daisy 853 single shot and came close to the time.

These 80 year old Redfield sights have found their way onto most of my 22s at some point came with the 513t above botn in 1941 and will still hold 1 moa when I do
2D348251-1A4A-4AD3-9B4C-EC3FC386B297.jpeg

Last edited:
Check out Four Seasons. Carl always seems to have a good supply of Gallery Guns and older bolt action 22s. You can look online on their web page under used guns.

If you have a 22lr with a built in 3/8/11mm type rail these inexpensive match sights from daisy are a way into improving any rifle…. You can add a front globe and might need to modify your front sight to get a zero.
They worked great with my match 10/22 with redfield olympic front globe!
8353E63C-4F61-4B2B-959C-BD5FB0F06368.jpeg

Did an Appleseed with a tube fed bolt gun. What an absolute exercise in frustration. Pro tip. Get the big straws from McDonalds, hot glue one end and there you go. Speedloaders!

Also did with my 2 Savages, A22 and B22 because I didn’t want to use a 10/22. Bolt was definitely more challenging but very doable with the mag. Patched on my first attempt.

I have kept my eyes open for a good Remington 34 out of nostalgia. The supply of older tube-fed 22's (the kind I like) dried up at B&K during Covid and have not returned in their former numbers. I assume they have generally moved out of LGS's and into closets. I know I can find a few on Gunbroker, but I don't want it enough to mess with that. It's only the kind of thing I would probably buy if I saw it in front of me at a good price.

I love my gallery gun. And my single-shot 22short that was the youth gun of my wife's grandfather.
The first gun I ever shot in the early 1960s was my dad's .22 gallery gun, of 1913 vintage. A few years ago, I found out that my Godfather (his younger brother) had bought it when he was a teenager while working / living at a friend's house down the Cape one summer. My grandmother wouldn't let him keep it in the house when he went home in the fall, so my father, living on his own by then, "liberated" it for safe keeping. It never seems to have made it back.

None of my uncle's kids or grandkids shoot, nor does my daughter, so this will probably get passed along to my nephew.

IMG_0117.jpg

about the oldest .22 rifle i'd go after is a 10/22...or a gallery gun. the rest are patinated curiosities and shit relics as far as i'm concerned. someone wants them but for what i dunno.

Are the M&Ps still banned?
No. Smith fixed the issue.

about the oldest .22 rifle i'd go after is a 10/22...or a gallery gun. the rest are patinated curiosities and shit relics as far as i'm concerned. someone wants them but for what i dunno.
The ruger 10/22 is a relic, just happens to be in production still.
A 10/22 can m
be great grand dads rifle at this point. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom