• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Where's my shotgun?!?!

Its just a bloody rabbit......RUN AWAY!! RUN AWAY!!!

I had heard Jackrabbits are fairly nasty and disease ridden. Look a the amount of shxt in one area there.

Its just a bloody rabbit......RUN AWAY!! RUN AWAY!!!

I had heard Jackrabbits are fairly nasty and disease ridden. Look a the amount of shxt in one area there.
On an episode of meat eater with Steve Rinella they were hunting sage grouse and Steve shot a jackrabbit and threw it in his vest. A few minutes later he was covered in fleas from the dang thing and he had to stop and field dress it and plastic bag it. His buddy told him "no more shooting those filthy critters"!

When I was growing up about half my protein came from rabbit. We raised them for meat but also had lots of cotton tails running amuck. Fleas and tics are always a problem.
I've taken plenty of snowshoe hares and never saw flees or tics on them. Possibly because I hunt em generally in Jan and feb though .

Git invited to go deer hunting this morning. Declined, I’m done. I quit. I decided I’m only going for small game.
I don’t own guns to hunt, I hunt because I like guns. I’m not a fan of venison and have no interest in sitting in a stand all day. When I hunt, I like to still hunt or stalk, which is difficult, and i have limited success anyway. So I’m done with deer.
Came home from the gas station to find two in my yard eating our smashed pumpkins.

Thinking of setting a snare to catch them and bludgeon them for being jerks about this whole thing.

Git invited to go deer hunting this morning. Declined, I’m done. I quit. I decided I’m only going for small game.
I don’t own guns to hunt, I hunt because I like guns. I’m not a fan of venison and have no interest in sitting in a stand all day. When I hunt, I like to still hunt or stalk, which is difficult, and i have limited success anyway. So I’m done with deer.
Came home from the gas station to find two in my yard eating our smashed pumpkins.

Thinking of setting a snare to catch them and bludgeon them for being jerks about this whole thing.

I hear ya on that one. I stopped deer hunting a long time ago, pretty much birds and fish for me now. I can gut and strip pheasants, quail, etc. in a few seconds each. Takes longer to clean up, which isn't long. Sure, a lot of meat off a deer but a lot of work and mess to dress one out. I like venison just fine, when the opportunity to eat it arises. Haven't hunted rabbits in a few years, no particular reason other than my friends are mostly into birds.

As a kid out west, we popped jackrabbits just for the varmint factor. Never thought to try eating one, though I've had plenty of cottontails. There was actually an outbreak of bubonic plague carried by ground squirrels, so we blew the crap out of those whenever we could. There was an ad hoc dump below a cliff, so we'd creep up to the edge and on 'go', mayhem would ensue. Ground squirrels and rats would haul ass for cover and we'd try to splat as many as we could. If they had Keltec KSG's back then the fun would have been even bigger.

Back
Top Bottom