Where would you keep your "emergency" hand guns?

I am in the process of moving to TX so keep in mind I won't have to comply with MA type firearms home-storage laws.

I am a true believer in keeping loaded firearms at-the-ready in the home. In case some bad guys come-a-knocking, etc...

Fortunately, we don't have kids in the house and don't often have children visitors. I am looking for general suggestions as to 3 locations/areas you generally think it would be wise to have a firearm nearby (i.e. - near the front door, living room, etc...) I don't think it is a good idea to have only one stashed for quick access. If someone breaks in the front door and ends up between you and where the weapon is stashed, it may not do a lot of good.

Part of me thinks the following areas are of consideration:

1) Main points of entry
2) Areas you spend most of your time (i.e. - living room, bedroom, etc...)

Your thoughts?

Russ

In a holster on my belt or pocket carry. The chance of you remembering to get your pistol when an emergency happens and being able to get to it in time is minimal.

If someone kicks in your door, a pistol near you door probably won't be accessible

Im going to go with holstered carry as well. Its on you no matter where you are. If youre wearing shorts or sweatpants, something comfortable that wont support the weight, keep it in a holster and carry it with you to the kitchen table, living room to watch tv, etc. Not a fan of at/near the door, never made sense to me. If the door gets booted in unexpectedly, the gun is closer to the bad guy than it is to you. Somewhere away from the door with a clear line of sight to it maybe? On your hip is the only place where its guaranteed to be within reach no matter what.

I always keep my LCP in my pocket and also a lot of times a 1911 on my hip.

Last edited:
How practical is it to have a gun on you 7x24 in your home? When you're in the shower washing your ass, should you also have one with you?

:)

How practical is it to have a gun on you 7x24 in your home? When you're in the shower washing your ass, should you also have one with you?

It's in my britches pocket on the hook in the bathroom. I hope I never have to plug a home invader in my birthday suit. In retrospect, he would actually probably die of fright at the sight of me naked [rofl]

Last edited:

Holstered under a towel on the toilet lid. Not perfect, but its within 4-5 feet of me.

Fwiw, I dont go through life expecting the door to get kicked in at any moment, I just imagine the sense of stupidity I'd be feeling getting popped by some dirtbag in my own house while there are X number of guns in there with me, but none within reach.

Quite practical, in fact in some respects more practical than out in public since printing is not an issue. Showering, like mentioned in the pants in the bathroom seems reasonable. Just not on the hook by the trigger guard like the jamoc on Lowell PD!

Im going to go with holstered carry as well. Its on you no matter where you are. If youre wearing shorts or sweatpants, something comfortable that wont support the weight, keep it in a holster and carry it with you to the kitchen table, living room to watch tv, etc. Not a fan of at/near the door, never made sense to me. If the door gets booted in unexpectedly, the gun is closer to the bad guy than it is to you. Somewhere away from the door with a clear line of sight to it maybe? On your hip is the only place where its guaranteed to be within reach no matter what.
This I would do.

I do this everyday at home with my .45, the wife thinks Im crazy lol

I am in the process of moving to TX so keep in mind I won't have to comply with MA type firearms home-storage laws.

I am a true believer in keeping loaded firearms at-the-ready in the home. In case some bad guys come-a-knocking, etc...

Fortunately, we don't have kids in the house and don't often have children visitors. I am looking for general suggestions as to 3 locations/areas you generally think it would be wise to have a firearm nearby (i.e. - near the front door, living room, etc...) I don't think it is a good idea to have only one stashed for quick access. If someone breaks in the front door and ends up between you and where the weapon is stashed, it may not do a lot of good.

Part of me thinks the following areas are of consideration:

1) Main points of entry
2) Areas you spend most of your time (i.e. - living room, bedroom, etc...)

Your thoughts?

Russ

Get a big German Shepard! Also, follow the advice about emergency guns from other members. I have three kids and can sleep through just about anything, so I aint going to hear a bad guy.

A dog maybe, but dont get a cat. ( not that anyone would get a cat for home defense[laugh]) Theyre always f'ing around with stuff in the middle of the night. After a while you just kind of assume that bump in the night is just the cat.

It's in my britches pocket on the hook in the bathroom. I hope I never have to plug a home invader in my birthday suit. In retrospect, he would actually probably die of fright at the sight of me naked [rofl]

Grip, pull up, orient, extend, touch, press.

Grip, stance, sight alignment, trigger press, follow through.

Be careful with orientation and stance.

Depending on his orientation he might get excited if you have a wide stance.

If the gun is not on you when something bad happens, you may not get to it in time.
But... Nothing "bad" happens here in Massachusetts!.. But if by some strange, rare, totally unforseen circumstance it actually, y'know, "did happen", simply call 911 and a hero will (magically) appear and save you!
Cuz, after all, "we don't encourage self help" here in the Sanctuary State....

Holstered under a towel on the toilet lid. Not perfect, but its within 4-5 feet of me.

Fwiw, I dont go through life expecting the door to get kicked in at any moment, I just imagine the sense of stupidity I'd be feeling getting popped by some dirtbag in my own house while there are X number of guns in there with me, but none within reach.
Yep, but nobody who was killed in a home invasion/break-in thought they'd expect it to happen that night (day, morning whatever)... I'm old enough to remember the guy at home with his young son in Salem MA many years ago who was just sitting, chilling with the baby in the morning, quiet peaceful etc when some whackjob kicked the door in... Dad pleading for his and son's life, threw son out window onto lawn where SWAT had shown up, etc if memory serves...I don't remember if the perp got taken out by SWAT rifles or not, but I'm pretty sure the "castle doctrine" BS would have come into play before any 911 call happened if it were my or any other NESers house that morning.

Back
Top Bottom