Where to find training?

I shot Saturday with a red dot sight and I noticed how much I moved when I was trying to be steady and I don't like it.
I want to be better.

I think I shoot okay. I'd like to shoot well.
Where do I find training for this?

Do you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them. What is your end goal of training and price range?

I shot Saturday with a red dot sight and I noticed how much I moved when I was trying to be steady and I don't like it.
I want to be better.

I think I shoot okay. I'd like to shoot well.
Where do I find training for this?

+1 For seeking this advice, join the bullseye team at your club. You will get great advice and you can't hurt the team only help them.

Do you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them. What is your end goal of training and price range?

I want to shoot all in the black.
Here's how I did in Jan, shooting a Ruger Mk III for the first time in a year and a half.
2610_1117444334266_1171710253_373409_7919403_n.jpg

Here's some targets from Saturday. First few are with a S&W 22a with a red dot sight.
2610_1124395268035_1171710253_394311_926015_n.jpg

2610_1124395308036_1171710253_394312_3347963_n.jpg

2610_1124395348037_1171710253_394313_3025881_n.jpg

And with a Walther p22:
2610_1124395428039_1171710253_394314_1523907_n.jpg

You might consider heading up 495 to Westford some Sunday afternoon around 2pm for "choir practice". There's usually at least a couple of us from NEShooters at the Westford Sportsmen's Club outdoor pistol range for a little practice. Guests are always welcome. Check with Jim Conway, Bobby Mac or me to make certain that we'll be rehearsing on any particular date.

Ken

You might consider heading up 495 to Westford some Sunday afternoon around 2pm for "choir practice". There's usually at least a couple of us from NEShooters at the Westford Sportsmen's Club outdoor pistol range for a little practice. Guests are always welcome. Check with Jim Conway, Bobby Mac or me to make certain that we'll be rehearsing on any particular date.

Ken

Will do. Thanks for the offer!

Becka,

It looks to me as if you are focusing on the target rather than the front sight.

Gently....Very gently, increase pressure on the trigger until the gun discharges. Front sight, front sight, squeeze.

Always go back to the basic firing fundementals when your group starts to open up.

Becka,

It looks to me as if you are focusing on the target rather than the front sight.

Gently....Very gently, increase pressure on the trigger until the gun discharges. Front sight, front sight, squeeze.

Always go back to the basic firing fundementals when your group starts to open up.

Good advice, Also I would use a target with alot less black on it. Don't look for your holes. Shoot 5 shots then go look at the target. If you look in between every shot you will have to remember each time to re focus on that front sight. You might want to put a little sticky dot on a blank piece of paper.

Yes, we were following the club's rules [grin] There was one light bulb casualty though.

There must have been about 15 new shooters there with the SAS group plus another 15 semi- or very regulars.

ETA: Becka, I have a red dot sight on my .22. If you'd like to try more rounds with it next month let me know so I'm sure to bring it along.

Looking through a dot scope can be a humbling experience! Even good shooters are surprised how lousy their hold can be, but they do find a way to break the shot when the dot is in the middle of the black. You want good information on what I am assuming is Bullseye type shooting, check out the following link. Nothing beats a one on one coach but this is good stuff! Enjoy.
http://www.bullseyepistol.com/

Highscore

Becka
From looking at you targets, I would guess that you are "ambushing" the target. Everyone, and I do mean everyone, has some has a wobble zone when they are on target. By wobble zone, I mean the arc of movement of the gun in your hands, when you are pointing at the target. If you look at how much movement your firearm has, it is normally rather small. For most of us the wobble movement is a bit over an inch or maybe two.
The problem, and what I guess that you are doing, is that a shooter watches the movement and tries to make the gun fire "right now" when the sights are just where you want the shot to go. Any time that you try to fire right now the shot will go low.
Think about how big your wobble zone is and ask yourself is you would be happy if all of your shot hit somewhere within the zone. To do this all that you have to do is is keep adding pressure to the trigger and not try to have the gun fire right now. What you want is a surprise break. You know that the gun is going to fire, but you do not know the exact moment. BTW, with some practice and a lot of dry firing, this can be done very fast.
In a class last weekend, we showed the students how to do that and they were all pleasantly surprised.

Becka
From looking at you targets, I would guess that you are "ambushing" the target. Everyone, and I do mean everyone, has some has a wobble zone when they are on target. By wobble zone, I mean the arc of movement of the gun in your hands, when you are pointing at the target. If you look at how much movement your firearm has, it is normally rather small. For most of us the wobble movement is a bit over an inch or maybe two.
The problem, and what I guess that you are doing, is that a shooter watches the movement and tries to make the gun fire "right now" when the sights are just where you want the shot to go. Any time that you try to fire right now the shot will go low.
Think about how big your wobble zone is and ask yourself is you would be happy if all of your shot hit somewhere within the zone. To do this all that you have to do is is keep adding pressure to the trigger and not try to have the gun fire right now. What you want is a surprise break. You know that the gun is going to fire, but you do not know the exact moment. BTW, with some practice and a lot of dry firing, this can be done very fast.
In a class last weekend, we showed the students how to do that and they were all pleasantly surprised.

You got me. I try the "fire NOW!" thing.

I have to go to the range tonight now.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom