Where does MGL cover storage of handguns in vehicles for Class A holders?

wheelgun

NES Member
I see this in MGL;

Section 131C. (a) No person carrying a loaded firearm under a Class A license issued under section 131 or 131F shall carry the same in a vehicle unless such firearm while carried therein is under the direct control of such person. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

(b) No person carrying a firearm under a Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

(c) No person possessing a large capacity rifle or shotgun under a Class A or Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000.

Paragraph (b) covers "firearms" for Class B licenses, which includes handguns. But what about handguns for Class A licenses? Paragraph (c) only addresses large cap rifles and shotguns. Is there another section I'm missing here?

Last edited:
This section is only for transportation (or carrying a handgun under your direct control for LTC-A/None holders per Para (a)).

"Firearms" in this section ONLY refers to handguns. That is why (c) is in there, to cover long guns.

Section 131L addresses storage.

Last edited:
That is for transportation, not storage......

Granted, but it's a fine line. I'm talking about situations where you're either transporting and you're in the vehicle, or you're transporting and you've left the vehicle for a short time to go into a store etc.

Yes, you missed a close read on Para (a).

"Firearms" in this section ONLY refers to handguns. That is why (c) is in there, to cover long guns.

Yes but paragraph (a) only address LOADED firearms. What about unloaded handguns specifically?

Granted, but it's a fine line. I'm talking about situations where you're either transporting and you're in the vehicle, or you're transporting and you've left the vehicle for a short time to go into a store etc.

I cover this stuff in my MA gun laws seminar. There is a gray area which has yet to be adjudicated. Any volunteers to be prosecuted so we could clarify this law?? [wink]

This section is only for transportation (or carrying a handgun under your direct control for LTC-A/None holders per Para (a)).

Section 131L addresses storage.

Thanks Len! I'm familiar with 131L but I would have expected this aspect to be also addressed under the transportation section. However, if indeed 131L is the law that pertains in such cases, then it's also clear that it's technically legal to store a loaded firearm in a vehicle as long as it's properly locked.... just as in a residence. I've read in the past that it's considered another gray area, and I wouldn't want to test it in court.

Thanks Len! I'm familiar with 131L but I would have expected this aspect to be also addressed under the transportation section. However, if indeed 131L is the law that pertains in such cases, then it's also clear that it's technically legal to store a loaded firearm in a vehicle as long as it's properly locked.... just as in a residence. I've read in the past that it's considered another gray area, and I wouldn't want to test it in court.

I could almost guarantee that one who stored a loaded handgun in a MV would be charged, and I think that the odds of a conviction in a MA state court would be very high (my guess is 80-90% certainty). I don't recommend that anyone test this out.

I could almost guarantee that one who stored a loaded handgun in a MV would be charged, and I think that the odds of a conviction in a MA state court would be very high (my guess is 80-90% certainty). I don't recommend that anyone test this out.

So instead we can have people unload their guns when they need to leave them in the car risking NDs... Gotta love this shithole.

Just keep the gun an ammo separated glove and trunk or locked case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

Can we get that in English?

So instead we can have people unload their guns when they need to leave them in the car risking NDs... Gotta love this shithole.

This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine (some of you probably already noticed,) and is further proof that MA gun "laws" are NOT about safety.

Yes but paragraph (a) only address LOADED firearms. What about unloaded handguns specifically?

As Len said, that is unclear. The safe recommendation would be for a Class A licensee to transport unloaded handguns the same way that a Class B licensee must transport unloaded handguns: in a locked trunk, locked case, or other secure container.

This is for class A, and a loaded handgun

TRANSPORTING if the vehicle is running and your in it. Must be on your person.
If the vehicle is off and you are not in it its STORAGE. Just like in your home. No requirement for it to be unloaded.

They try to cover 3 laws with just two. they need:
a transporting law
a home storage law
a vehicle law

This is for class A, and a loaded handgun

TRANSPORTING if the vehicle is running and your in it. Must be on your person.
If the vehicle is off and you are not in it its STORAGE. Just like in your home. No requirement for it to be unloaded.

They try to cover 3 laws with just two. they need:
a transporting law
a home storage law
a vehicle law

Yeah, another law is exactly what we need.

In a vehicle (whether stationary or in-transit) my pistols are either loaded and on my person or unloaded in a locked box (I don't have any real trunks). The ammo is in the same container, just not in the gun.

Due to its size, I open-carry the C96 Broomhandle while driving to the range with it. (Though it's typically unloaded) [grin]

My "high capacity" long arms are carried unloaded in a locked hard case. My shotguns (pump and break-action) are unlocked, unloaded, in soft cases.

I am confident I can defend the legality of this carry scheme to any LEO that may feel the need to enquire.

BTDT, all I got was a swift boot to the ass and a few stern words. And a pile of glock parts on my roof. [rolleyes]

I drive this way all the time............

Loaded Remington 12 Gauge in the gun rack in my trucks back window.................

Loaded M16 in the gun rack in my trucks back window........................................

Loaded 357 Magnum Revolver on my trucks dash...............................................

Loaded 1911 45ACP on my trucks center console................................................

Loaded M&P 40 on my hip................................................................................

NOT......OH Sorry, it's allready past April Fools Day

Like Len said,

If there anyone that wants to test out these stupid MASS Laws, take one step forward...................

Back
Top Bottom