• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Where can I rent a FAL in Southern New England?

• Thread starter Deleted member 67409
  • Start date
It's good to feel one and run it. I picked up a DSA FROM DSA back in the day. Maybe 15 years ago. I got porked on the resale because I wanted it gone and I thought a "dealer who used to be very active here" was working in my best interests. He wasn't. He porked me. My fault. I shoulda known better.

Anyhoo, the reason I dumped it was b/c, ergonomically, it wasn't for me. It just didn't feel right. Went back to AR's and was very happy.

So fondling is vitally important. You might hate it.

FAL !!

QjEIyU9.jpg

If you ever find yourself in central MA on a weekend, I'll gladly let my Hesse out for some range time! Like Picton, I've got hundreds of rounds through mine and never have had an issue. I've been VERY satisfied with mine, just doesn't see range time as much as it should.

It's good to feel one and run it. I picked up a DSA FROM DSA back in the day. Maybe 15 years ago. I got porked on the resale because I wanted it gone and I thought a "dealer who used to be very active here" was working in my best interests. He wasn't. He porked me. My fault. I shoulda known better.

Anyhoo, the reason I dumped it was b/c, ergonomically, it wasn't for me. It just didn't feel right. Went back to AR's and was very happy.

So fondling is vitally important. You might hate it.

This. It's a big, long, heavy battle rifle. At least my 50.00 is. I swear the giant comp on mine adds a pound or two, and throws off the balance, but maybe I'm just a pussy. The sights are a little funky, the controls are a little funky, mounting optics can be a little funky with the dust cover, etc. - all reasons to hold one before you buy.

I should mute this thread before it makes me start hunting for a FAL again.

It already made me buy another. [thinking]

This. It's a big, long, heavy battle rifle. At least my 50.00 is. I swear the giant comp on mine adds a pound or two, and throws off the balance, but maybe I'm just a pussy. The sights are a little funky, the controls are a little funky, mounting optics can be a little funky with the dust cover, etc. - all reasons to hold one before you buy.

It already made me buy another. [thinking]
If FAL files the way to go? I know a little about them, but not too much. I'm assuming it's either DSA or used at this point.

The problem I always had with the damned FAL is there are too many versions. Metric, Inch, super xiectalub, inbel, dsa, whatever receiver, blah blah blah... is there a default winner? [laugh]

The problem I always had with the damned FAL is there are too many versions. Metric, Inch, super xiectalub, inbel, dsa, whatever receiver, blah blah blah... is there a default winner? [laugh]
That's kind of been my conundrum. I only know of DSA currently making "production" ones but I seem to read contradictory info on them and they seem to run $1,200-$1,800+
I'd have to put in the homework before making a purchase and perhaps not doing that will prevent me from spending the money.

DSA seems to be good if you get some of their older stuff. You just have to do a little research.

That's why both my FAL's have 16" barrels, "short" flash hiders, and lightweight lowers. When I look at a full size L1A1, or G1, it looks like a freakin' Swiss Pike compared to mine. God, put a bayonet on the end, and it could be a pike.

That's why both my FAL's have 16" barrels, "short" flash hiders, and lightweight lowers. When I look at a full size L1A1, or G1, it looks like a freakin' Swiss Pike compared to mine. God, put a bayonet on the end, and it could be a pike.

This is another reason why I want to rent one first. I've previously owned a 20" 7.62x54r Vepr and a M1A SOCOM 16. The Vepr had gentler perceived recoil and was more accurate but the M1A was definitely more compact. What I didn't like about the M1A was the lack of a full pistol grip. To remedy the M1A would've involved a very expensive stock and at the time I didn't really have a pot to piss in.

I've also owned and shot .223 ARs. I believe I've handled a .308 AR, I just can't remember when. So if a FAL handles like a beefy AR, then that's perfect.

Plan is to visit Elite on Friday and try out the DSA, so hopefully goes well. Then I'm going to start thinking build versus buy and metric versus inch.

This is another reason why I want to rent one first. I've previously owned a 20" 7.62x54r Vepr and a M1A SOCOM 16. The Vepr had gentler perceived recoil and was more accurate but the M1A was definitely more compact. What I didn't like about the M1A was the lack of a full pistol grip. To remedy the M1A would've involved a very expensive stock and at the time I didn't really have a pot to piss in.

I've also owned and shot .223 ARs. I believe I've handled a .308 AR, I just can't remember when. So if a FAL handles like a beefy AR, then that's perfect.

Plan is to visit Elite on Friday and try out the DSA, so hopefully goes well. Then I'm going to start thinking build versus buy and metric versus inch.

Unlike the M1A,the FAL has an adjustable gas system so you can shoot just about anything in terms of ammo,M1A not so much. Definately stick with metric,more magazines and parts available.

Once you get the gas dialed in right for the ammo you are shooting,the FAL is pretty smooth.

My FAL is an L1A1 clone as far as furniture, takedown lever, charging handle, and the manufacturer of the lower... and yet it uses metric mags.

Best of both worlds.

Last edited:
Call Sven or Sky (yes their real names) at Elite Indoor Gun Range in Kingston, RI. I think I saw one there when I was there this weekend. $30.00 to rent a lane for an hour $10.00 for gun rental for an hour. They are also an FFL so if you like it they can sell you one. I don’t know how good their prices are.

I had no interest in the M1A SOCOM 16 at all...until I held one. Ooooo...that's a sweet ride. If I wasn't already down a different path, logistics-wise, I might have jumped hard on that particular bandwagon.

Know, too, that the FAL/La1A1 were not precision target rifles. Rather they were rifles that were robust and were accurate enough to hit man-size targets at distance. The scopes were battle scopes, too, with an upside down reticle arrow. Hard to use when scoring for points on paper but lethal nontheless. I was fortunate enough to find all the proper accessories to create a duplicate used by the NZ Airforce. I loved it but it was all that it was going to be, ever. I moved on to black rifles that you can modify in many different directions. Good luck finding someone who will share. I would if I still had mine.

Definitely. The standard sites on mine are minute of pie plate. It’s not that tight. Kind of rattles. And it is 100% reliable will eat anything and go bang every time and the trigger, by target rifle standards is awful. But that’s really not what it’s for.

Hoping for a range report as someone for whom this thread has triggered another FAL craving.

Hoping for a range report as someone for whom this thread has triggered another FAL craving.

Ask and ye shall receive.

I went with a friend to Elite in South Kingstown tonight and rented their DSA SA58. Not sure what specific model it was but it had the cover-mounted full-length rail, what looked like a folding stock (resembling an AK clubfoot in shape), vertical foregrip, and extended safety. I suspect it was an 18" barrel because it didn't come off as pike-esque but we also didn't really feel a big concussive blast. I think this was the gun, painted in a subdued, very professional looking Rhodesian baby poop camo pattern:

DSA SA58 Improved Battle Rifle - 18" Medium Contour Barrel, BRS Folding Stock - DS Arms

Fired off 60 rounds with me doing most of the shooting, but switching off here and there. This was his first time shooting a centerfire rifle so I wanted to let him play a little.

Pros:

*Trigger was very good for a rifle of this type
*Sights were good, I was hitting exactly where I wanted to hit - not a great accomplishment in a short indoor range, but hey, consistently tight groupings make the day fun
*Safety was easy to engage/disengage
*Left-side charging handle is nice
*Mags: this is a big plus. The FAL does rock-and-lock mags nicely without fumbling
*Ergonomics were pretty straightforward and modern
*Newb friendly, my friend managed to keep all his shots on the paper and he was very happy while shooting

Cons:

*It's a heavy gun, I would estimate 10-11 pounds
*Some people say the FAL is soft shooting. It's not bad for a large .308. However, learning to shoot it fast would require a steeper learning curve than learning to shoot a .223 fast. While this may seem like a "no shit" concept, it's noticeable how much time you spend once the trigger breaks, the recoil pushes you back, and you get your sights back on target
*I can foresee the non-reciprocating charging handle making remediation of stoppages into a problem based on the InRange FAL mud test
*Expensive platform, including ammo, in comparison to a basic AR

That all being said, I think a baby poop FAL is going to be in my future. I'm thinking of doing a R1/Rhodesian clone with a few modern touches: optic and bipod. This was also my first time using a rifle with a vertical foregrip, which I found to be helpful, so perhaps one of those in replacement of the bipod. With a 10-11, 12 pound gun, some form of support would be good.

Ask and ye shall receive.

I went with a friend to Elite in South Kingstown tonight and rented their DSA SA58. Not sure what specific model it was but it had the cover-mounted full-length rail, what looked like a folding stock (resembling an AK clubfoot in shape), vertical foregrip, and extended safety. I suspect it was an 18" barrel because it didn't come off as pike-esque but we also didn't really feel a big concussive blast. I think this was the gun, painted in a subdued, very professional looking Rhodesian baby poop camo pattern:

DSA SA58 Improved Battle Rifle - 18" Medium Contour Barrel, BRS Folding Stock - DS Arms

Fired off 60 rounds with me doing most of the shooting, but switching off here and there. This was his first time shooting a centerfire rifle so I wanted to let him play a little.

Pros:

*Trigger was very good for a rifle of this type
*Sights were good, I was hitting exactly where I wanted to hit - not a great accomplishment in a short indoor range, but hey, consistently tight groupings make the day fun
*Safety was easy to engage/disengage
*Left-side charging handle is nice
*Mags: this is a big plus. The FAL does rock-and-lock mags nicely without fumbling
*Ergonomics were pretty straightforward and modern
*Newb friendly, my friend managed to keep all his shots on the paper and he was very happy while shooting

Cons:

*It's a heavy gun, I would estimate 10-11 pounds
*Some people say the FAL is soft shooting. It's not bad for a large .308. However, learning to shoot it fast would require a steeper learning curve than learning to shoot a .223 fast. While this may seem like a "no shit" concept, it's noticeable how much time you spend once the trigger breaks, the recoil pushes you back, and you get your sights back on target
*I can foresee the non-reciprocating charging handle making remediation of stoppages into a problem based on the InRange FAL mud test
*Expensive platform, including ammo, in comparison to a basic AR

That all being said, I think a baby poop FAL is going to be in my future. I'm thinking of doing a R1/Rhodesian clone with a few modern touches: optic and bipod. This was also my first time using a rifle with a vertical foregrip, which I found to be helpful, so perhaps one of those in replacement of the bipod. With a 10-11, 12 pound gun, some form of support would be good.

Thanks for the in depth review.
Everyone seems to love the Rhodesian colors. If you do that, though, you're required to get the short shorts as well.
WiDEO3J.jpg

I'm thinking my next rifle will either be a FAL, CZ Scorpion EVO or an Arisaka. I reload 308 for a friend but I don't own anything in 308 so it might be time. Plus I've got a friend who is interested in getting to guns, and thinks he wants a 308 to do precision shooting.

Given the potential uncertainties on the availability of these rifles post-election, I might make a FAL a priority. My original plan was to make it the first purchase after moving to NH but I got kind of dissuaded. Maybe it's time to recommit to it.

Thanks again.

Rhody camo is fun, but it wouldn’t look right on a railed piece. In fact, I’m a FAL minimalist: mine came railed, and I swapped out the dust cover immediately and removed the carry handle into the bargain.

Good range report. I’m glad you liked the ergos; they’re a high point of the L1A1/FAL platform, I think. I’ve never had any particular problems getting back on target after shooting, so I’ll pay more attention next time.

Glad it was a positive experience for you and your friend. It’s always nice to usher new SLR shooters into the fold.

Back
Top Bottom