Where can I rent a FAL in Southern New England?

• Thread starter Deleted member 67409
  • Start date
Just buy one. You wont regret it.

This.

What do you want to know? It’s a proven, accurate platform that sends a 7.62 NATO pill without kicking much. The design is more than sound. As I understand it, your main concerns in buying ought to revolve around the individual receiver manufacturers, whether your piece takes metric or Imperial mags, the nature of the feed ramp, and the way the charger handle is configured. Firing someone’s random weapon is unlikely to answer those questions, though if you can get up to Dracut, you can try mine.

Though I’ve got a Hesse receiver, one of the “bad” ones (according to the interwebz). But I’ve yet to experience any issues.

Be aware that the FAL is one of the specifically enumerated weapons in the MA AWB, so any "copies or duplicates" of the FAL fall under the Attorney General's "enforcement notice" from 7/20/2016. So, you will likely be unable to find any dealers willing to sell/transfer one.

Finding one in a private sale, or a pre-1994 one, is still an option.

Be aware that the FAL is one of the specifically enumerated weapons in the MA AWB, so any "copies or duplicates" of the FAL fall under the Attorney General's "enforcement notice" from 7/20/2016. So, you will likely be unable to find any dealers willing to sell/transfer one.

Finding one in a private sale, or a pre-1994 one, is still an option.
Capture.jpg

This.

What do you want to know? It’s a proven, accurate platform that sends a 7.62 NATO pill without kicking much. The design is more than sound. As I understand it, your main concerns in buying ought to revolve around the individual receiver manufacturers, whether your piece takes metric or Imperial mags, the nature of the feed ramp, and the way the charger handle is configured. Firing someone’s random weapon is unlikely to answer those questions, though if you can get up to Dracut, you can try mine.

Though I’ve got a Hesse receiver, one of the “bad” ones (according to the interwebz). But I’ve yet to experience any issues.

I would like to learn if I enjoy shooting the FAL and the ergonomics of the rifle. If I do, then I plan on buying the Collector Grade books and really exploring the nuances of the different manufacturers:

Collector Grade Publications - Bookshelf #4 - Gun Books - FAL Rifle, Black Rifle M16

My main concern is that FALs have a somewhat higher entry price than ARs or AKs. Buying a new DSA STG-58 pattern metric rifle means a price floor of around $1500, $1700. Even the books aren't cheap at $150 + $60.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to learn if I enjoy shooting the FAL and the ergonomics of the rifle. If I do, then I plan on buying the Collector Grade books and really exploring the nuances of the different manufacturers:

Collector Grade Publications - Bookshelf #4 - Gun Books - FAL Rifle, Black Rifle M16

My main concern is that FALs have a somewhat higher entry price than ARs or AKs. Buying a new DSA STG-58 pattern metric rifle means a price floor of around $1500, $1700. Even the books aren't cheap at $150 + $60.

FAL files has all the info you’ll need, though it’s pretty territorial over there. I’d use them instead of an overpriced book, and in fact I did. Definitely get up to speed on the manufacturers, bearing in mind my caveat: my Hesse has been flawless. Soyou never know.

Most folks tell you not to buy without shooting at least 100 rounds through your desired piece. They can be finicky.

try pulman arms in worcester they have an indoor range and do rentals; might have one in stock. i love my dsa carbine; small with firepower and never an issue

Pullman does not have a range. Maybe you meant the Gun Parlor? We are supposed to be boycotting GP though. Mass Firearms and Cape Cod Gun Works both do rentals

I would also love a FAL. I like them with the Israeli furniture. There are pre ban SAR48’s out there but they run about $2k.

Pullman does not have a range. Maybe you meant the Gun Parlor? We are supposed to be boycotting GP though. Mass Firearms and Cape Cod Gun Works both do rentals

I would also love a FAL. I like them with the Israeli furniture. There are pre ban SAR48’s out there but they run about $2k.
yes the gun parlor my mistake; fixed

MFS is unfortunately a no:

Mass Firearms | Shooting Sports Center in Holliston, MA

I sent CCGW an email, hopefully they'll get back to me. There's four rental ranges in RI and I know for a fact that at least one of them does not have a FAL, which is Midstate. I'm 99% sure two others don't have one either. I might try asking my favorite FFL to see if he has any leads.

Good luck. I think you’ll have better luck with a member. I know Dracut is a haul for any Rhode Islander (it is, after all, >20 minutes’ drive), but let me know if you’re in the AO.

FALs are rare-ish in New England, which is unfortunate. They’re great rifles.

Good luck. I think you’ll have better luck with a member. I know Dracut is a haul for any Rhode Islander (it is, after all, >20 minutes’ drive), but let me know if you’re in the AO.

FALs are rare-ish in New England, which is unfortunate. They’re great rifles.

PM inbound!

I wanted to make a FAL one of the first rifles I got after leaving MA but I have kind of given up as all I seem to read is that the choices are pretty limited, most are bad and the ones that are good are uber expensive.

I still don't have any 308s. Other than a FAL, not many 308s excite me that aren't $2000.

There are tons a Fal and Fal variants out there. For a while there everybody was building them.

The biggest issue tends to be that because there were so many people slapping together kits, the end results can vary greatly. You can find one that looks great but joe basement builder had no clue how to head space and you have a less than stellar, or potentially dangerous situation.

When put together right they are nice prices. On the heavy side. Reliable. Reasonably accurate. If I had to pick, i’d Take an M1a.. ymmv.

If you catch the collectible FAL fever, you'll quickly find yourself in 3-4k territory. I'm not sure 1500 will get you something that's really collectible.

What does DSA build their rifles with these days? Demilled parts kits, or do they use new production parts? I have one of their older guns and the parts were in great shape, Steyr barrel and everything. I imagine those are long gone, but with so many rifles issued globally over the years you’d expect batches of demilled kits to come through every once in a while.

What does DSA build their rifles with these days? Demilled parts kits, or do they use new production parts? I have one of their older guns and the parts were in great shape, Steyr barrel and everything. I imagine those are long gone, but with so many rifles issued globally over the years you’d expect batches of demilled kits to come through every once in a while.

I believe they're making new guns with STG58 machinery:

DSA FAL rifles are completely interchangeable with the original F.N. metric FAL. DSA also produces spare parts and proprietary accessories for the FAL. DSA is not just a partsset assembler like others, but actually fabricates every FAL part in house and through carefully selected qualified long term vendors.

About Us

Since we're talking about rentals here, who else in RI besides Mid-State and Elite do rentals?

*Midstate in Coventry
*Elite in South Kingstown
*Sakonnet in Tiverton
*Sporting Shoppe in Hope Valley

There's also Peace Dale Shooting Preserve, which is associated with Elite, and Addieville in Burrillville. Peace Dale and Addieville focus on shotgunning and upland game hunting.

Also, for Mass members, Cape Cod got back to me and they don't rent out FALs. But they do have an AR10 and a Black Horse 7.62x54r AK.

The FAL is the "metric" version. The L1A1 is the "inch" version. They require different mags. Don't let anyone tell you you can use FAL mags in an L1A1. You can't. The L1A1 was never ever a select-fire MG but governments always categorized them that way. Approximately 60 countries adopted these rifles as their main battle rifles it was so well liked. They even had their own optics, the Trilux. They were surplused out when the M16 was introduced.

The rifles were in 7.62x51 which made them hard hitting and longer range than other rifles. That caliber has superior ballistics. Back when I built and shot mine, ammo was plentiful as surplus from some great countries. Today you'll find it pretty spendy.

Now, as to how it handles? Pick up a .308 AR platform rifle and you'll know. Muscle memory tells me that everytime I shoot my DPMS HB LR 308. Weight is about the same and if I closed my eyes I could swear it was my FAL. The only foible this rifle had was that it would occasionally throw errant shots randomly. There you are putting together a good group and there was the outlayer probably due to the long pencil barrel. Go figure.

Know, too, that the FAL/La1A1 were not precision target rifles. Rather they were rifles that were robust and were accurate enough to hit man-size targets at distance. The scopes were battle scopes, too, with an upside down reticle arrow. Hard to use when scoring for points on paper but lethal nontheless. I was fortunate enough to find all the proper accessories to create a duplicate used by the NZ Airforce. I loved it but it was all that it was going to be, ever. I moved on to black rifles that you can modify in many different directions. Good luck finding someone who will share. I would if I still had mine.

Attachments

• completely finished NZ fal  800.jpg
    completely finished NZ fal 800.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 26
Back
Top Bottom