Where can I get a CROWNED 22 rf barrel for dedicated AR upper build?

I have decided to build a dedicated 22 rim fire upper for an AR.

I have been trying to locate a 22 barrel that is NOT threaded for a muzzle device. and just has a target crown (I don't want a muzzle device so I can build a NY Safe ACT compliant rifle (already have the lower with a 5.56 upper with target crown, just want to duplicate in .22 rf) (and yes I already know this rifle is FReaking Ugly. Hence its name FRUgly )

I am trying to avoid paying to buy and permanantly fix a thread cover to the barrel Searched here, on AR 15.com and all the barrel makers listed on AR 15.com for 22 RF , as well as general google search with no luck

Nothing special in the build, mainly a plinker.

So three questions

1. any one know a source for for a crowned 22 barrel?

2. If I can't find crowned barrel, what would you recommend on threaded barrel?

What are you going to use for a bolt ?
not sure if its cheaper to build or buy a 22lr upper ? I bought mine.

a few with out muzzle devices

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/71...per-receiver-assembly-22-long-rifle-16-barrel
A little pricey http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=350

This is my plan. http://www.compasslake.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_30&products_id=172 I want a 22lr set up just like my 223 serivice rifle and this kit seems to be the choice for me. I need a nice scope for my varmint rifle 1st
You can call them on custom length barrels if 20" is not to bad. Its a little expensive but its not much more than some barrels out there.

Last edited:
mac1911 Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

You asked a great question to start. I plan on using a CMMG bolt, and the Redi-Mag II adapter which allows use of SW M&P II 15-22 mags, which are available in 10 round configuration. Just too many great reviews on AR 15.com on this setup running flawlessly to ignore it. I had a chance to shoot one set up this way, and it ran pretty slick.

That being said, it rules out the three suggestions you made. But I really appreciate the response.

As far as saving $$ by building vs buying, I don't think building will be any more expensive. Mainly this is driven by already having tools to do the build, and I have some Anderson blem uppers that I got dirt cheap on sale that match up with the anderson lowers I have (from a prior group buy. ) As will as I have some upper part kits (another group buy). So I have no tool costs and some inexpensive parts I have been collecting to start.

True... I prefer the black dog mags and the ciener based designs.
Try calling CMMG and see if they will make a barrel without threads.
The few barrels I have found with out threads are not cheap. And the uppers or kits are not much more money.
Only thing I can think off is buying a 20" barrel and remove the threads and have a target crown installed.
What I don't know is if all 22lr barrels are cut to function with every bolt?

Im a 22lr fan in any platform. So I like to see what you end up doing.

I have the tactical solutions TL upper. Love it.
Try calling tactical solutions and see if they will make a barrel to your needs.
They pinned on a thread cap on mine free of charge.

A quick look around they all claim their BCG are designed for use with their barrels.
This is why I bought vs buy 5 years ago. Their was just not enough info on what works with what.
My next 22Ltd AR build is very specific so I'm,going with the CLE kit.

Last edited:
I too have a dedicated 22lr upper, I bought it from Model1Sales about 5 or 6 years ago and it has pretty much run flawless. I saw on their website that the only non-threaded .22lr barrel is a stainless bull barrel for $320, probably way more than you want to spend. Spikes no longer sells just the barrel and as was mentioned you can try to call CMMG to see if they well make you one with out threads but it might be more $$ and time. Also as was mentioned you could buy a 20" and have it cut and crowned. Not sure where you are located but Pullman Arms(in Worcester I have no affiliation with them) does it not sure on price. As for muzzle device I have one that looks like an A2 flash hider but is a brake, it was made by DPMS. Don't know if they are still made. I would just get the cheapest one as it's only a 22.

Right now am leaning towards Taccom which has a 17" ultralight barrel that has no threads and comes with barrel collar for $160. I have found references of others that have used that barrel with CMMG bolt. But the more I learn about the Taccom bolt, that may be better solution ( people are upgrading CMMG bolts with better firing pins and extractors that Taccom bolt already have at a lower price)

Have thought of having a longer barrel cut down. Thanks Romokid for info on Pullman Arms. Not that far away, and have been meaning to get over there.

I will post something when I finish up with what ever I do.

Last edited:
So here is the update.

Went with Taccom 17" Ultra Light Weight barrel, with Taccom 22 bolt assemble. Barrel is SS wrapped in Fiberglass,

Barrel is attached to a PSA upper (Blem) I got cheap and wrapped in a UTG pro Super Slim 13" free float hand guard.

Lower is Anderson from Group Buy. Stag arms lpk with their 2 stage trigger.

Stock is Thordsen custom NY compliant in OD green with matching cover for buffer assembly . (blem on sale) Going to swap it out for black one I have on hand. Or camo whole unit.

Just tossed on old cheap Tasco scope (in Nikon mount) for quick try at range yesterday.

Shooting from bench, average of five five shot groups at 25 yards was .56 inch with Remington Golden HP

Only Glich so far is with is with the Redi Mag Better Mag adapter and the S&W 15-22 clips. With the mag adapter in place bolt would not go into battery, so have to debug that. Yesterday range session I had to load one at a time.

Good news is it went BANG everytime I pulled the trigger, and ejected the brass each time.

IMG_1206.jpg

So here is the update.

Went with Taccom 17" Ultra Light Weight barrel, with Taccom 22 bolt assemble. Barrel is SS wrapped in Fiberglass,

Barrel is attached to a PSA upper (Blem) I got cheap and wrapped in a UTG pro Super Slim 13" free float hand guard.

Lower is Anderson from Group Buy. Stag arms lpk with their 2 stage trigger.

Stock is Thordsen custom NY compliant in OD green with matching cover for buffer assembly . (blem on sale) Going to swap it out for black one I have on hand. Or camo whole unit.

Just tossed on old cheap Tasco scope (in Nikon mount) for quick try at range yesterday.

Shooting from bench, average of five five shot groups at 25 yards was .56 inch with Remington Golden HP

Only Glich so far is with is with the Redi Mag Better Mag adapter and the S&W 15-22 clips. With the mag adapter in place bolt would not go into battery, so have to debug that. Yesterday range session I had to load one at a time.

Good news is it went BANG everytime I pulled the trigger, and ejected the brass each time.

View attachment 145516
Jesus, bud. I'm sorry you have to do that to your rifle to be legal. (I'm actually being sincere here. It's awful what states are doing to gun owners)

Having said that, congrats on your build! Always satisfying to put something together and have it work well.

Jesus, bud. I'm sorry you have to do that to your rifle to be legal. (I'm actually being sincere here. It's awful what states are doing to gun owners)

Having said that, congrats on your build! Always satisfying to put something together and have it work well.

Don't feel bad. I live in MA and have other toys so I don't have to do this. But I have a camp in NY, and rather than continue to hunt with traditional rifles, will take these monstrosities to hunt with for squirrel (.22), coyotes (.223) and once I build 6.8 SPC II for deer. Just to thumb my nose at the libs and to show the stupidity of banning rifles based on cosmetics.

Right now am leaning towards Taccom which has a 17" ultralight barrel that has no threads and comes with barrel collar for $160. I have found references of others that have used that barrel with CMMG bolt. But the more I learn about the Taccom bolt, that may be better solution ( people are upgrading CMMG bolts with better firing pins and extractors that Taccom bolt already have at a lower price)

Have thought of having a longer barrel cut down. Thanks Romokid for info on Pullman Arms. Not that far away, and have been meaning to get over there.

I will post something when I finish up with what ever I do.

+1 on the Taccom barrel. Great company with excellent customer service. I have a Taccom upper with a 17 in carbon fiber barrel and hand guard on a polymer lower with the Taccom carbon fiber 22 butt stock. At 3lb 7oz it makes a great steel gun. The upper works well with both Taccom and CMMG bolt groups.

So as a final update, resolved the issue of going not into battery when magazine installed. I am using the Better Mag Adapter which allows use of standard M&P 15-22 mags in standard AR lower. Seems there is a know incompatibility between the Taccom bolt and the Better Mag Adapter. Resolution is to file a small amount off back of Better Mag Adapter. Pretty easy to modify mag adapter (which I guess is needed with all but one type of 22 bolt). Info on how to modify was on Taccom web sight. Just a little filing of soft aluminum

So went to range this evening, ran about 150 rounds through it and it ran flawlessly. No FTF or FTEs. Locked open on empty mags Used three different new M&P 15-22 mags

It was a blast to finally run some rounds through it. Have to go do an appleseed once I add Iron sights.

So as a final update, resolved the issue of going not into battery when magazine installed. I am using the Better Mag Adapter which allows use of standard M&P 15-22 mags in standard AR lower. Seems there is a know incompatibility between the Taccom bolt and the Better Mag Adapter. Resolution is to file a small amount off back of Better Mag Adapter. Pretty easy to modify mag adapter (which I guess is needed with all but one type of 22 bolt). Info on how to modify was on Taccom web sight. Just a little filing of soft aluminum

So went to range this evening, ran about 150 rounds through it and it ran flawlessly. No FTF or FTEs. Locked open on empty mags Used three different new M&P 15-22 mags

It was a blast to finally run some rounds through it. Have to go do an appleseed once I add Iron sights.

Good to hear....

Back
Top Bottom