• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

When you want a poorly reviewed gun

basscatfrank

NES Member
There has been a gun I have wanted for a few years now. Initial reviews were mostly poor, focusing mainly on feeding problems. Since then they seem to have improved. More recent youtube reviews have shown them firing multiple mags without a problem and yet I still had my doubts. This all came to a head when my wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas and guess what I said? Yup, there is one on it's way now. So, if anyone has experienced this, how did it work out for you?

Btw, here is the firearm in question. It is a GSG MP40 in 9mm. When I originally considered purchasing one of these they came in the crate that is shown here. They no longer are shipped this way.

6843671_01_ati_gsg_mp40_9mm_wwii_smg_clon_640.jpg

Two things will perfect the KSG: A set of metal mag followers from tandemkross.com and a Magpul hand stop on the slider's lower rail. These make it dead reliable and safe. DAMHIKT

The one problem i have with it is it's a pain in the ass to load them....

When I was about 8, I watched Where Eagles Dare for the first time. Richard Burton. Clint. MP-40's galore. Gosh I loved that gun!

I've lusted after one for decades. FS had one of the OLD semi-auto folding-stock ones years ago and I didn't snap it up. Stupid me. Especially living in Draconian Gun Law Mass. I'd prefer teh folding stock, so I doubt, even if it was available in MA, I'd get the GSG.

I've got a GSG MP5 in .22. It's fun, but honestly, it sits in the safe. I have more fun with the gas BB AR that I got for my kids a few years ago. Full auto and we can use it in the back yard.

Sometimes you just gotta get things to scratch that itch for the fun factor.

I've always wanted an Auto Ordnance Thompson, old school in the violin case, drum mag etc. I've heard that they are heavy, not very accurate, horrible triggers and all that but it looks fun and cool above all else. I'd probably be 1000x better served with a 9mm AR for way less money, but its not about that..

I own stuff that has the “it sucks” label
I know it might suck from the get go but most are fun to use and often there is a fix to make it suck less.
You want you buy

I'd check with your friendly neighborhood gunsmith for his opinion and if he would work on it if the gun has issues. Nothing worse than having a gun that no one can or will fix.

Sometimes you just gotta get things to scratch that itch for the fun factor.

I've always wanted an Auto Ordnance Thompson, old school in the violin case, drum mag etc. I've heard that they are heavy, not very accurate, horrible triggers and all that but it looks fun and cool above all else.

I have a current production 1927A1, they're made in Worcester.
Yes, they're freakin' heavy, especially with a loaded drum mag.
Very awkward to shoulder due to the stock design, but that's one of the things that gives it that iconic look.
The accuracy is quite good, once you figure out how to hold the gun properly, and the trigger on mine is pretty decent too.
However, the bolt spring is quite heavy and it's a real PITA to install and remove drum mags, even when using a "third hand" tool, but stick mags are no problem.

Sometimes you get a good one.

I’ve owned some good Taurus’s and bad S&Ws.

If it isn’t 100% reliable, is it your CCW or SHYF gun? If not, who cares?

I have a current production 1927A1, they're made in Worcester.
Yes, they're freakin' heavy, especially with a loaded drum mag.
Very awkward to shoulder due to the stock design, but that's one of the things that gives it that iconic look.
The accuracy is quite good, once you figure out how to hold the gun properly, and the trigger on mine is pretty decent too.
However, the bolt spring is quite heavy and it's a real PITA to install and remove drum mags, even when using a "third hand" tool, but stick mags are no problem.

WHAT?! I didn't know they were making Thompsons 20min from my house. I need to go ask for a tour.

"I believe ya, but my Tommy gun don't."

I wanted a Sig Mosquito for years. Even though I have a Smith 41, a couple Ruger MKII's and a couple Walther P22's but still wanted a Mosquito. Just love the looks and feel of it. Heard about all the feeding issues. I must have gotten lucky. It feeds perfect with Remington Thunderbolts. Not very accurate though. I like the gun but its up for sale. I wouldn't say it didn't work out, just have a pile of 22' that I don't shoot.

It is a GSG MP40 in 9mm.
when I was at shot a few years ago I got to handle a pre-production gun. I don't think they were out for retail then. they had a small booth across from a friends booth I was visiting. the gun got a lot of buzz, actually the wood box got as much attention as the gun. I believe they had it out on media day at the range. I had an invite to range day but slept in late that morning. people were 4 deep in front of the booth trying to handle it. my impression was it was pretty well made. I've seen a real one in person but never handled one, so dunno. didn't hear any feed back from range day, don't even know if one made out there.

Back
Top Bottom