• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

When should I start to be concerned?

CMEBoston

NES Member
Trick question, I already am....
My LTC expires on the 25th of September, knowing this I scheduled my renewal appointment back in April and had the interview in late may. last week I called the DCJIS to check on the status, I was informed they haven't gotten the paperwork from the PD yet! Ive called the PD and left 2 Voicemails with the licensing administrator and have not heard back....

now I did recently move (Feb 2016) from one green town to another, and filed the change of address paperwork that week.
man I hope I dont have to start thinking about a boating trip......... anyone else been through this?

Then youre good togo until your new LTC arrives. Of course that doesnt help you in regards to making a purchase, that part blows, but at least you dont need a boating accident

Did you get the receipt from the PD showing that you came in to renew?

Sadly that will be irrelevant if the PD doesn't process his paperwork before 9/25! Only then will MIRCS show him in "renewal status-infinite grace period". Others have found that out the hard way which is why I asked Michaela about this many months ago.

Buy ammo and such now, while your license is still active. You'll be able to carry if it expires before you get your new one but not buy anything on it.

Not "supposed to be" true. See my prior comment. If the PD does their job (big IF), the law says that you are supposed to be able to continue to buy/sell as if your old LTC was still valid. Sadly many report that reality isn't the same as the law.

Sadly that will be irrelevant if the PD doesn't process his paperwork before 9/25! Only then will MIRCS show him in "renewal status-infinite grace period". Others have found that out the hard way which is why I asked Michaela about this many months ago.

Thats news to me Len, thank you. Can you expound a bit on this?

Buy ammo and such now, while your license is still active. You'll be able to carry if it expires before you get your new one but not buy anything on it.

THIS!

I had a gun that I had to get back from a shop once. (I forget if it was FS and I pulled back or a repair or what.) Brought it in BEFORE my lic expired. Lic expired and awaiting the new one, couldn't pick up the gun. :(

I had an issue when I moved from Fall River to Dighton. My license was set to expire 9 months after I moved. Aprox 3 months before it would expire I sent in my paperwork. 2 weeks later I started calling them. Every week actually. The girl at the desk said they have my paperwork and the deputy who handled ltc's would be in touch. I still called weekly to no avail. With 2 weeks left before it would expire I walked into the pd and spoke with an older officer who helped me out immediately. He called over the ltc deputy and we set up an appointment for the next day. Not sure if the girl who worked the front desk was an anti but Dighton is a green town. I got it a few weeks later. it over lapped my expiration date but I was all set since I met with them prior to the expiration date. I'm glad I decided to walk in rather then keep calling. I know your issue differs from mine a bit but maybe you should meet them in person as well.

Im less worried about buying and selling this time of year im so busy fishing.... im more worried about my collection. Im the only one in the house with an LTC, even though I urge the wife to get hers the procrastination is strong in her.

thanks for the replies thus far.

- - - Updated - - -

Ive already had my interview 3 months ago, the PD hasnt sent the papers to the DCJIS yet

Trick question, I already am....
My LTC expires on the 25th of September, knowing this I scheduled my renewal appointment back in April and had the interview in late may. last week I called the DCJIS to check on the status, I was informed they haven't gotten the paperwork from the PD yet! Ive called the PD and left 2 Voicemails with the licensing administrator and have not heard back....

now I did recently move (Feb 2016) from one green town to another, and filed the change of address paperwork that week.
man I hope I dont have to start thinking about a boating trip......... anyone else been through this?

I'm having a very similar problem. I applied for my LTC (new, first issue) back in June (going on 10 weeks now). DCJIS claims it's still with the PD. I'm going to call today, because I'm getting annoyed. Another guy I know from my local club had the same issue with the same PD and it took 10 weeks to get his LTC. Still a green town, just lazy with paperwork it seems.

Thats news to me Len, thank you. Can you expound a bit on this?

Someone on NES contacted me as they were in <what he thought was> his grace period and tried to buy or sell a gun. MIRCS came back with "expired license" and refused to allow the transaction to proceed. He asked me to check into it, so I either called or Emailed Michaela (don't recall which).

Michaela informed me that it is all based off of MIRCS and if the computer system didn't have an input of the renewal before expiration, it does not recognize the LTC as in the grace period. She apologized but explained that there was nothing they could do if the PD was too lazy to do their job timely (very similar case to the OP here).

As a long time computer geek who supported the damn things for small businesses for many years, I fully understand the issue from both sides here.

Im less worried about buying and selling this time of year im so busy fishing.... im more worried about my collection. Im the only one in the house with an LTC, even though I urge the wife to get hers the procrastination is strong in her.

Ive already had my interview 3 months ago, the PD hasnt sent the papers to the DCJIS yet

Since the PD is to blame here, other than Gardner PD, I can't see any PD hassling their residents who did everything correctly and timely but due to the PD not doing their job puts people into this gray period.

After expiration, you could do the online verify LTC and if it comes back good, you are GTG for carrying, etc. If it comes back "expired", I'd advise not carrying or bringing the guns anywhere, just leave them locked up until some year when the PD grants you a renewal . . . however in that case, I'd be writing polite letters to my state rep and state sen plus copying the selectman/town manager/mayor about the problem. Amazing how doing that can expedite a fire under the ass of the chief/PD to do their job. I'd also copy GOAL and Comm2A . . . if this is a trend, Comm2A might be interested in taking legal action against the recalcitrant PD.

Good luck.

Someone on NES contacted me as they were in <what he thought was> his grace period and tried to buy or sell a gun. MIRCS came back with "expired license" and refused to allow the transaction to proceed. He asked me to check into it, so I either called or Emailed Michaela (don't recall which).

Michaela informed me that it is all based off of MIRCS and if the computer system didn't have an input of the renewal before expiration, it does not recognize the LTC as in the grace period. She apologized but explained that there was nothing they could do if the PD was too lazy to do their job timely (very similar case to the OP here).

As a long time computer geek who supported the damn things for small businesses for many years, I fully understand the issue from both sides here.

Since the PD is to blame here, other than Gardner PD, I can't see any PD hassling their residents who did everything correctly and timely but due to the PD not doing their job puts people into this gray period.

After expiration, you could do the online verify LTC and if it comes back good, you are GTG for carrying, etc. If it comes back "expired", I'd advise not carrying or bringing the guns anywhere, just leave them locked up until some year when the PD grants you a renewal . . . however in that case, I'd be writing polite letters to my state rep and state sen plus copying the selectman/town manager/mayor about the problem. Amazing how doing that can expedite a fire under the ass of the chief/PD to do their job. I'd also copy GOAL and Comm2A . . . if this is a trend, Comm2A might be interested in taking legal action against the recalcitrant PD.

Good luck.

Yup. I used a town selectman to help me when my grace period ran out (before we had the unlimited period).

- - - Updated - - -

OP, sorry for your delay, and good luck getting your renewal done. I'd make an in-person visit, and politely explain your concerns and ask if there is anything missing in your renewal that would prevent it being processed for over 3 months.

Also...if I may so suggest as regards the wife's LTC - book a calls at MFS, go as the unpaid companion to the class with her, and have a nice dinner beforehand as a date night that will serve you both well.

Back
Top Bottom