• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

When does it become an ARSENAL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

depicts

Army Veteran
NES Member
How many guns does it take to have an arsenal? If you read abut some lowlife in the newspaper gettting busted, and they find 5 or 6 guns, they would call it one in the newspaper.

I'm sure lot's of folks here have more than 5 firearms.....so...what do YOU think is an arsenal.

Bill

P.S. I don't have any guns, I'm just wondering!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsenal

An arsenal is an establishment for the construction, repair, receipt, storage and issue of weapons and ammunition. The word arsenal appears in various forms in Romanic languages (from which it has been adopted into Teutonic), i.e. Italian arzanale, Spanish arsenal, etc.; Italian also has arzana and darsena, and Spanish a longer form atarazanal. The word is of Arabic origin, being a corruption of daras-sina'ah, house of trade or manufacture, dar, house, al, the, and sina'ah, trade, manufacture (with jana'a, to make). Such guesses as arx navalis, naval citadel, arx senatus (i.e. of Venice, etc.), have been discounted.
Cannons and mortars of Napoleon's Army exhibited along the wall of the Kremlin Arsenal.
Enlarge
Cannons and mortars of Napoleon's Army exhibited along the wall of the Kremlin Arsenal.

For the rest of Early Modern Europe, the Arsenal was the Venetian Arsenal.

A first-class arsenal, which can renew the materiel and equipment of a large army, embraces a gun factory, carriage factory, laboratory and small-arms ammunition factory, small-arms factory, harness, saddlery and tent factories, and a powder factory; in addition it must possess great store-houses. In a second-class arsenal the factories would be replaced by workshops. The situation of an arsenal should be governed by strategic considerations. If of the first class, it should be situated at the base of operations and supply, secure from attack, not too near a frontier, and placed so as to draw in readily the resources of the country. The importance of a large arsenal is such that its defences would be on the scale of those of a large fortress.

If you are going to use the English language, use it properly. It's not the amount of guns that counts.

Sheesh, everyone knows that you don't even begin to think that you might have an arsenal until you get at least ten or twenty more guns that you have right now!

Sheesh, everyone knows that you don't even begin to think that you might have an arsenal until you get at least ten or twenty more guns that you have right now!

Yup. An arsenal will always be 10 or 20 more than you have right now. Whenever that may happen to be. :)

Using FPrice's definition a few NESer's would probably qualify! <G> That's not a bad thing though. At least a few people probably have the makings of a second class arsenal where in they can repair, modify, and upgrade small(ish) calibre firearms. Would that I had one myself.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom