• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

When did your LTC references get contacted?

I've been reading through the posts at http://http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55764. So many people go through such an agonizing waiting game with their local pd and state offices. Wonder if WHEN the firearms detective contacts your listed references on the license application would shed any light on how much longer of a wait you have before your license if approved or denied? I realize it probobly will vary from town-to-town, and, might not even be much a factor at all. But hey! I'm sure you all remember the wait. It's horrible!

My guess is that they never contact the references in 99.999% of the applications.

For my Mass. LTC I did not get asked for any references. On my non-resi permits, none of my references were contacted.

Last edited:
I was contacted as a reference for a friend in Needham. His application only took a 3 or 4 weeks IIRC and it was somewhere in the middle of the process.

References aren't contacted in Waltham.
Someone once said that the letters are a way to CYA for the police in case you ever go off the handle. They can say "See, these 3 other people also think this person should have been fine with a gun!"

Never contacted! My chief wouldn't dare contact my references . . . the hatred is mutual, that's why I chose them! [rofl] They are both retired POs in the same department . . . and I worked with both of them over a number of years.

The form asks for references, it doesn't ask for "friends of the chief"! [rofl] [laugh]

I suspect that the view is that references are required by the process, but otherwise useless.

Everyone knows that you wouldn't list a reference that wouldn't say you'd make a great gun owner. There's also the issue of how they verify whether a reference is legit or not (who you say they are). Checking references takes time and, at best, still requires a leap of faith.

AFAIK never.

I suspect that the view is that references are required by the process, but otherwise useless.

Everyone knows that you wouldn't list a reference that wouldn't say you'd make a great gun owner...
[hmmm]The licensing officer admitted as much when I applied. I showed up for the interview with names and address. He informed me that "town policy" was that three reference letters were required, then proceed to "assure" me that this was not a big deal as he had never seen a reference letter that was not favorable. He got huffy though when I innocently asked "So why do you require them?"

Last edited:
Both my references have really busy lifestyle. I had them mention that fact in their letters and specify that they can be contacted only few hours a week on Sundays. Guess what ? Nobody called them.

My references were never contacted in Leominster. A friend of mine did have one of his contacted in Burlington (they require 3 [shocked]). Given it was just one of the 3 it could have been because the licensing officer personally knew or was familiar with the reference in question.

Never contacted. I suppose that with towns that check them, they might prefer to issue licenses to those about whom at least one or two people have relatively good things to say.

Also, FYI for Natick. Det. Blanchard is no longer doing LTC's last I heard she was put back on patrol.

my PD also asked for 2 letters or recommendation, so i imagine the references are moot.

and speaking of long waits, this is week 9 for me [crying]

but i called last week, and it should be coming in the next day or two...

Last edited:
The sarge at my PD was only concerned that at least one of them would know where I was.... Knew on the spot I was gonna get LTC-A NO RESTRICTIONS.. Darn nice feelin...

Back
Top Bottom