• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

When did you first start reloading?

TY43215

NES Member
Just to get an idea of how long many have tried this I thought I would ask.

I started in 1975 loading 9MM then on to 38spl as times changed my gear changed and now I include the first two plus

40S&W, 10MM, 357MAG, 357SIG, 45GAP & 45ACP.

Never tried loading shotgun. Never had the desire.

I have only been reloading for about 2 years maybe a little less. It was the only way to go to keep the cost of shooting down and actually found it brought more pleasure to my shooting.

December 1995.

I gave myself a Dillon 550B (and all the accessories) for Christmas. I started out de-priming, reaming out, and cleaning about 4000 once fired GI .45 ACP cases over a week or so.

The first load was WLP, 5.7 gr of 231 topped of by a copper washed 230 gr bullet from West Coast Bullets (which was close by). Once I got five of them loaded up, I trudged through the snow up to the range to see if they would function. Much to my delight they did! The press now has about 47,000 rounds through it. The only parts which needed to be changed were a couple of de-capping pins, two powder bar springs (not at the same time), and the plastic ends of the primer pick up tubes.

In addition to .45, I’ve done a little 9mm and .40 S&W on the press. Just recently I picked up some bullets and powder for .308, but I still need to get the dies. I’d like to start .38 special too.

1964, give or take a year. Loaded 38s and 45s on a Star for a friend with a commercial loading business.

With my own equipment, 1968. Also started custom handloading rifle cartridges for a local gunshop ~1970. The increasing liability concerns and foolish legislation put an end to my commercial handloading a number of years ago.

Jack

I started in about 1990 with a Lee Loader and quickly switched to a Dillon 550B. Initial usage was more to develop custom loads and migrated to bulk loading to save money. I load .45 .38/.357 .9mm 44/.44 mag and .223.

I don't shoot enough .40 to reload and am cautious about reloading high pressure loads. I use red dot, blue dot, H110 and 231

I just paid $69.90 for 10 boxes of #8 12 gauge. I don't want to reload shotgun but need to figure out the break even point.

Last edited:
I started about a year and a half ago. The wife gave me a Dillon 550 and everything needed to reload 45acp for Christmas. (She's the best!) Since that time I've expanded to include 357 magnum. [rolleyes] Ok, I'm a little slow in expanding. I've got everything to start 500 S&W so I'll be adding a third caliber soon.

I keep flirting with the idea to start reloading for rifle, but I have no idea where to start at this point. Need to do a LOT more research.

About 1992, with my own Dillon 550B. I started with 9 mm, then branched out into .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .45 ACP, and .44 Mag. I also load 12 ga. shells on a Mec Jr.

I've dabbled in loading .223, but haven't quite got the hang of it yet.

1986 - I purchased a Dillon 550 (550B came out later). At the time I reloaded .357 Mag, and
.44 Mag with Dillon dies, and .30-06 with a two die rifle set from RCBS. I took a long hiatus
after a few years and just really got back into it a couple of years ago. I needed to upgrade
the press to bring it up to a 550B so I went for the upgrade kit and eventually I had to
upgrade more than just the kit as the powder assy wouldn't work with the upgrade and a few
other items as well. When I went to resurrect the press a couple of years ago the main shaft
had frozen to the housing and I had to apply heat to the housing in order to free it up.

I now load .32 H&R, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .45ACP, .45AR, .223, .30-06
and have the dies and conversion kit to load .45LC but have no firearm in that caliber.

Last edited:
Sometime around 1975, as best I can remember. I'd purchased my first centerfire handgun, a Colt Trooper (not Mark III, an original Trooper) .357, which I wish I still had, but that's another story. The sale included a bunch of reloading stuff - dies, a few hundred Super Vel .357 cases, powder, etc. so I picked up the rest of what I needed and started reloading.

Then I branched out into loading shotshells, eventually getting presses for the 4 skeet gauges I shoot, then as I added more rifle and pistol calibers I just picked up the matching dies and other incidentals and loaded those as well. Now I load for everything I shoot, except the .22 rimfires of course, and I have quite a few guns that have been shot a lot and never seen a factory round.

im still a noob started last year with 40s&w and now .223 still learning about it though.

I bought my first press back in 2002(lee loadmaster) but it seemed confusing so i let it sit in the closet. when prices went up i decided to do some research and now its an enjoyable hobby

Been reloading for the better part of 35 years. Started with the original Lee loader,then an RCBS single stage,a Dillon 450 which was up graded to a 550. Now I have 2 650s mainly cause the changing of the priming system is a PITA easier to unbolt one and mount the other on my bench. I've made brass for at least 3 rifles and cast my own bullets for all but my 223.

Started in the middle 60's with a Lyman tong tool for 38spec and 357mag..Used that for a year or so and then got a Lyman C press..That was great for a while but when added 9mm
and 45ACP along with 308 and 22-250 a Rock chucker joined the family..Around then I also loaded shotgun shells with a Lee loader,the hammer operated job..That got old quickly and a Lyman Easy press arrived,boy did that make things easy..Next was a Lyman T-Mag turret press,used that for several years and when the bolt that holds the head on broke and I couldn't get the broken end out went with a T-Mag 11..It may be slower than a progressive but I don't mind,the ammo is great..

I started in 1992 with a Dillon RL 550B loading 45acp and 38 specials. At the time, I calculated that by reloading my own lead bullets at my current rate of shooting the investment would pay for itself in about two years. At that time I was only shooting PPC type matches so my ammo consumption was rather low. In 2006 I expanded and started reloading 40 and 9mm. This is also when I "re-discovered" shooting and started shooting USPSA. I still love my RL 550B press. In fact, the only reloading equipment I've actually changed in all this time was that about a year ago I ditched my small tumbler and got the big Dillon tumbler. Now, I only clean/polish my brass one or two times a year.

-Cuz.

I started in 2004 because my range required lead bullets while shooting steel. My boss at the time was a former USPSA shooter and recomended a Dillon. I bought a 550b and went to work. After a while, the same boss sold me his Kimber "pin" gun, the .45 I used in open last year. I got pretty good with it at my club so I figured I'ld try USPSA for myself. Of course I said to myself, "self, you don't need to buy an open gun, just use the .45" Then all you open guys sucked me down into your sick little world, and I love every second I'm down here! Now I reload .45 .38 Super .223 and 12 gauge. All on the dillon except for the shotgun of course.

1984 on an old Rockchucker I was given after using a friend's for a while.

I went to the 550 about 7-8 years ago when I started shooting action pistol at Mansfield. Loading pistol ammo on a single press is like using calligraphy when you need to send a mass-mailing.

1959. Someone gave "me" (my father, actually) an 1886 Winchester in .33 WCF (basically a .45-70 case formed and necked into a .338 bottleneck), for which we couldn't find any store-bought. My father got a press (Herter's), set of forming and loading dies (C-H), and other stuff. We cast slugs on the kitchen stove, came up with a load (using 3031, I believe) and had a ball.

I had a single stage press back in 71 and never really had time to use it. When I finally got time, I bought a Hornady LnL, it made a big change in how much I shoot and reload.

I picked up my first press on May 29th (three weeks ago). An RCBS single stage with 4 sets of dies, scale, powder dispenser, calipers, various powders, hand primer thingy, etc. for $160.00. I've reloaded about 200 .45ACP so far.

I started in 1981 loading .30 Carbine on an old CH press. After a long break, I began again with a vengeance about 4 years ago.

I now have 4 presses (Hornady and Dillon progressives and Hornady and RCBS single stages) and I load about 20 calibers.

I started reloading in the 1970's when most of you guys were still pissing your pants. A bunch of rifle and pistol calibers and shotshells. Really got into it. Made some of my own dies and powder dispensers. Now I just leave the Dillon set up for .45 to feed the subguns and 1911's. Jack.

Funny, my wife got me into reloading. After a trip to AG Guns in the early 90’s, and buying a spanking’ new Smith and Wesson 1066 10mm pistol, I had mentioned to her hat I was interested in reloading (10mm was then, as they are now, EXPENSIVE). Imagine my surprise when I opened my “big gift” the following Christmas to find a Dillon 550B! Many thousands of rounds later, my 550 still sees regular use.

About 1994 I guess. WIth my dadinlaw, .38special 148gr wadcutters over 3.5gr of Bullseye if I remember correctly. I still have a box of those that I loaded. It was a great experience! Now I load for a ton of calibers and it allows me to shoot WAY more than I ever could afford to normally!

1977 with a Lee loader for 300 win mag and 357. Stopped for about 30 yrs and started back up. Just ordered a Hornady LnL AP. Now I just need more time to shoot.

1983 I think, I was 15
I bought a 12 ga Lee load all...still got it.
I shot mainly 22lr but enjoyed shotgun but could not afford not to reload.
plus they would not sell me shells so i bought components and reloaded.
(back then it was a more realistic MA) I was also shooting with an adult.
I now load for 5 calibers and shotguns.
And I finaly bought a progressive loading press.

Back
Top Bottom