• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's your preferred current production AR 15 and AR 10 magazines, and why?

What's your preferred AR 15 and AR 10 magazines?

• Magpul

Votes: 39 69.6%
  • Lancer

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Surefeed Okay

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • Sentry Hexmag

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Something else

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • USGI aluminum

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • D&H

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters
Which "presently manufactured", AR, magazine, we prefer, isn't a fair question here in Ma. Why would we opt for legal,10 round magazines, when legal, pre ban 20's and 30's are available? Sure they cost more, but not so much more, that a reasonable person would opt for 10 rounders. In keeping with this and while I have both 20 and 30 round Colt branded magazines, I prefer vintage Colt 20 round magazines, because they are dependable. Magazines don't get better than dependable and while I've not seen them deliberately abused as in the video above, I have seen them abused under some pretty bad, ongoing conditions.

Last edited:
Which "presently manufactured", AR, magazine, we prefer, isn't a fair question here in Ma. Why would we opt for legal,10 round magazines, when legal, pre ban 20's and 30's are available? Sure they cost more, but not so much more, that a reasonable person would opt for 10 rounders. In keeping with this and while I have both 20 and 30 round Colt branded magazines, I prefer vintage Colt 20 round magazines, because they are dependable. Magazines don't get better than dependable.

Not everyone here lives in MA or cares about MA garbage, tho.

10 round pmags. Sucks having to deal with it but better than having to ever prove my prebans were prebans. Sad we even have to worry about such things behind enemy lines.
I don't believe anyone is going to challenge pre ban, 20 round, magazines. There are also tons of date stamped, 30 round, pre ban magazines available. All of my pre ban ,30 round, magazines are stamped with the date of manufacture.

Last edited:
I don't believe anyone is going to challenge pre ban, 20 round, magazines. Ther are also tonse of date stamped, 30 round, pre ban magazines available.

That's fair and prob true.

But no ones going to challenge it until they do. I'll be a good little citizen and pickup that can as long as I'm here.

Regular ol' STANAG mags with the anti-tilt follower and magpul bumper floor plates. They work, can take abuse and no worrying about magwell tightness or dremelling the bolt catch material for some rifles.

That's fair and prob true.

But no ones going to challenge it until they do. I'll be a good little citizen and pickup that can as long as I'm here.
Lol. It's hard to challenge a date stamp and if you buy the date stamped magazines as new, old stock, the date of manufacture is also on the platic bag, they are sold in. I've kept all of my plastic bags as well. I wouldn't even hire a attorney to defend a case this stupid. If the bag is date stamped and the magazine is date stamped, with the same date, No judge in his right mind, would consider it to be a illegal magazine. Even a judge, out of his mind , would have difficulty, finding guilt with this.

Lol. It's hard to challenge a date stamp and if you buy the date stamped magazines as new, old stock, the date of manufacture is also on the platic bag, they are sold in. I've kept all of my plastic bags as well. I wouldn't even hire a attorney to defend a case this stupid. If the bag is date stamped and the magazine is date stamped, with the same date, No judge in his right mind, would consider it to be a illegal magazine. Even a judge, out of his mind , would have difficulty, finding guilt with this.

I thought the same thing. Til I saw a Presidential election stolen before my eyes with some of the highest judges in the nation giving no shits.

I use Pmags and USGI 30ies for 556 and 20ies USGI for 300 blackies.
20 rounders Magpul for off hand in 6.5 Kardashian, and 10 rounders for bench.

Should it kill me that a vet (and hardworking Trump 2016 campaigner)
told me in Jul'16 that when he'd visited his son at a military base in the Carolinas,
he noticed the gun shops had garbage cans full of cast-off pre-bans for like, nothin'?

Should I have driven to the Carolinas the next morning?
Because I get that feeling.
[angry]

ETA: Absent that, PMAG 10's; mostly (entirely?) from 619DWH.

You can't vote for more than one?
Your code name is now Por Qué No Los Dos.
And it even comes with an avatar.

Even a judge, out of his mind , would have difficulty, finding guilt with this.
I thought the same thing. Til I saw a Presidential election stolen before my eyes with some of the highest judges in the nation giving no shits.
cc35a35746a3c18b2e6864037f3532d8.gif

Last edited:
We're all of different opinions I guess. I'm very confident with the proveable, legality of my date stamped, pre ban, magazines.

Should it kill me that a vet (and hardworking Trump 2016 campaigner)
told me in Jul'16 that when he'd visited his son at a military base in the Carolinas,
he noticed the gun shops had garbage cans full of cast-off pre-bans for like, nothin'?

Should I have driven to the Carolinas the next morning?
Because I get that feeling.
[angry]

ETA: Absent that, PMAG 10's; mostly (entirely?) from 619DWH.

Your code name is now Por Que No Los Dos.
And it even comes with an avatar.

cc35a35746a3c18b2e6864037f3532d8.gif
The big money is in the pre ban Colt mags.
If they have dates and are new they are worth a lot.

If you deal is mags a lot, a Colt mag without a date on it can be identified as pre ban just by the finish. It has a dull grey powdery finish that rubs off on your fingers. The early pre bans had black followers. No dates but the inside has a date code. After the ban they had dates on the outside and a smooth finish.

Some people like to buy brand new mags from a case. They develop wear marks in a particular spot from the shape of the mag from being in storage.

If I know they are pre ban I don't care about the internal date code but when I install new followers I like to read it. It can be very difficult to read because it is not stamped hard. It is also side ways and about an inch in from the bottom.

It would be amusing if Marsha started to tear about pre ban Colt mags to confirm the internal date just because all the obvious mags are in fact pre ban.

I used to know how to decipher those codes but gave up doing it after they all were pre ban anyway.

Another mag of interest are the LaBelle brand.

Labelle only existed before the ban so all of them are in fact pre ban.

They have a green follower which came out before the ban and is much better than the black followers because it's anti tilt. I still like to put in Magpul followers for good measure.

I've been using the same mags for years for classes and the range. As long as they don't get dropped on the feed lips while loaded - they will likely function properly for a long time.

If I lived in NH, I'd buy these by the case: Okay Surefeed - they are the closest you'll find to Colts...

Back
Top Bottom