What's this for?

namedpipes

NES Member
Photo is of three .38 Special rounds.

Round 1 is just for reference, nothing special about it.

Round 2 looks to me like a hand reload with either a very light bullet or perhaps less powder?

Round 3 has a flat copper(?) face, flush with the case top.

I haven't taken any apart. #2 & #3 are probably between 20 - 50 years old. I'm curious what the uses of #2 and #3 might be. These were acquired through an inheritance, so I can't ask.

Anyone?

100_1843.jpg

100_1842.jpg

#2 is a wadcutter. Used for target shooting. Cuts a nice clean hole in paper.

#3 may be an early birdshot, blank or signaling round. Not sure, never saw one like that.

Number 2 looks like some type of wadcutter bullet to me while number 3 appears to be a blank. That flat piece should be the cardboard wad that hols the powder charge inside.

Wow that was fast [smile] Thanks!

Number 3, the photo isn't as clear as I'd like, but the face appears to be copper, not paper/cardboard.

I guess I could shoot one at a target and see if it makes a hole, many little holes or no holes at all [thinking]

#2 is a semi-wadcutter and #3 is a wadcutter, although I have never seen a copper jacketed one, it wouldn't be precluded from existing per se. Anything with any sort of shaped head/point is a semi-wadcutter, although that is a very low profile pointed head. I have .357 semi-wadcutters in the garage and they are much more pronounced.

PS: #3 could also be the "bird-shot", which is actually for use on snakes and called snake-shot, mentioned above but I would lean more towards a wadcutter unless that round feels significantly lighter than #2.

Last edited:
I'm going to go with "full metal jacket wadcutter". [hmmm]

Nope.

Number 2 is a DEWC (Double Ended Wad Cutter) These are easier for commercial loaders/reloaders to deal with because either end of the bullet can be inserted. Unlike the HBWC, they're usually not seated flush.

Number 3 is either an old shotshell, a tear gas cartridge, or a backwards loaded bullet made by some experimenting reloader. I don't think FMJ wadcutters have a sharp edge like that.

My friend was cleaning out his basement this weekend and found a couple boxes of ammunition. On of the boxes was similar to Round #2. I have wondered what they were since I saw them. They are wadcutters or double ended wadcutters like mentioned above [grin]

Nope.

Number 2 is a DEWC (Double Ended Wad Cutter) These are easier for commercial loaders/reloaders to deal with because either end of the bullet can be inserted. Unlike the HBWC, they're usually not seated flush.

Number 3 is either an old shotshell, a tear gas cartridge, or a backwards loaded bullet made by some experimenting reloader. I don't think FMJ wadcutters have a sharp edge like that.

So EC, why is it when I buy wadcutters they are flat on top (this is always .38s), and when I buy semi-wadcutters they are always with a modified point where there is a lip before the point begins? You seem to suggest that all of these are wad-cutters. Is the semi v. wad-cutter thing a way of the factories signaling they either have DEWCs or HBWCs? I've always made the distinction based on flat-top or modified point and didn't know there was another reason.

#2 is a semi-wadcutter and #3 is a wadcutter, although I have never seen a copper jacketed one, it wouldn't be precluded from existing per se. Anything with any sort of shaped head/point is a semi-wadcutter, although that is a very low profile pointed head. I have .357 semi-wadcutters in the garage and they are much more pronounced.

PS: #3 could also be the "bird-shot", which is actually for use on snakes and called snake-shot, mentioned above but I would lean more towards a wadcutter unless that round feels significantly lighter than #2.

I shoot copper wad cutters in my 627 in .38 cal all the time.

Last edited:

#3 is not a semi-wadcutter (sometimes known as a "Keith shape"); see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semiwadcutter
for the profile of a semi-wadcutter.

#2 is what is known as a "button nose" wadcutter, which are sometimes known as "bevel base wadcutters" because the base has a slight bevel to facilitate reloading. The rationale for the button nose is obscure; some believe that it cuts a better hole, but I believe that the real purpose is to facilitate pour fill out in the mold (BB wadcutters are all cast).

ammo

come on guys,#2 is a wadcutter,lyman mould and is not double ended,I have two 4 cavity and its also a H & G.the last is a wadcutter setted flush for the S & W mod 52.bullet cant extend or wont fit mag.It is double ended and washed in copper.oh its terrible to be so old.[rolleyes] [laugh] [rofl]

If the headstamp states "Special Tool" it is a blank for an industrial tool,that would drive nails ,or cement anchors .....BB34[smile]

Back
Top Bottom