What's my problem? Part 2 - the improvement

A couple of weeks ago I posted a message looking for input as to why my shooting sucked...sort of. Here is the link to the original post http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73229

Fellow NES member and a firearms instructor Mike-Mike offered to give me a hand and we eventually figured out what the problem was and how to correct it. So I took his advice and I am happy to say that I see somewhat of an improvement already.

Below are the photos of before the consultation with Mike-Mike and after. Both targets were shot with the same gun (3.5 inch 1911, .45ACP) and roughly at the same distance of 11 yards.

Before:
IMG00005-20090725-1138.jpg

After:
IMG00018-20090809-1050.jpg

So once again...Mike-Mike thank you very much for taking the time to help me.

Red,

Could you share some of the areas that you focused on for this improvement? Grip, stance, trigger pull, etc.? I had a bad case of the "low-lefts" with my M&P 9mm until I had the trigger lightened. I would be curious as to what you changed for such a dramatic improvement. Good shooting! [grin]

ball and dummy works everytime, i dont think it will every be possible for me to completely cure my flinch but having someone load a few dummy rounds into a mag randomly really helps. I shoot often with mike mike and i never stop learning from him

That new target of yours is seriously good for 11yds with a 3.5" 1911.

Nice improvement. Practice may make perfect, but when form is part of the problem, an outside observer is key. If you're used to teaching yourself difficult stuff that you can improve with self-observation, like I am, handguns are a real smack-in-the-head. I started shooting handguns low-left and could not fix it - and I had no flinch. One person helped me with grip form, and another asked me some really eye-opening questions about cross-eye dominance... now my targets resemble my wobble, some sight-leveling I need to perfect, and nothing more. I'll probably never be an ace shot, but now I can shoot well. Just about anyone can, given tips on form and practice from a knowledgeable instructor.

Could you share some of the areas that you focused on for this improvement? Grip, stance, trigger pull, etc.?

My grip, stance and trigger pull are fine. I just have a horrible flinch. Mike helped me diagnose the problem and then we talked about the best way to get rid of it. For me it is a two-fold solution. First, I need to practice the "ball and dummy" drill. Second, and that may sound funny, I need to keep telling myself not to flinch. I basically need to focus on the front sight, keep the gun on target and squeeze the trigger until the gun goes BANG! My technique is OK so it is obviously 100% mental.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom