Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Sig P238

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Glock 42

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 60 47.2%

• Total voters
Ruger LC9s. Sometimes a .22Mag derringer if I don't want to carry a gun.

It is about the largest I can comfortably pocket carry, and I have to shop for pant / shorts carefully. I find shorts to have less pocket than pants.

I used to carry a S&W Mod 60, and that was good for size, but a little too heavy for my preference, so it was traded for the Ruger.

I love pocket carry, it's how I'm carrying 95% of the time. I first considered it about 6yrs ago and I too considered (and shot) a bunch of different guns. What I found was that I hated small semi-autos. I really like, carry, and shoot compact and full size semis but the pocket size pistols all had grips that were too skinny and left my pinky hanging and controls (mag release, slide lock, safeties where applicable) that were too small for me to reliably operate.

For pocket carry, I think revolvers are absolutely the way to go. Easier to hold; no itty-bitty levers to work; they print less thanks to rounded edges/shapes; etc. I also like having a long heavy DAO trigger, which allows me to carry without a holster, if necessary, or in a soft comfy holster otherwise (I refuse to carry semi-autos in anything but kydex). A revolver also allows me the option of shooting from my pocket or while pressing the gun into my target, if necessary.

As far as revolver options go, I'm all about the LCR. Lightweight, reliable, better trigger than j-frames, large trigger guard so I can shoot it with gloves on, nice big comfy grip. Also, S&W has a history of spotty reliability and so-so customer service on occasion - Ruger has none of these issues.

As far as caliber goes, I think .357 kicks too much and doesn't perform that great from such a short barrel, and 9mm requires moon clips and has some crimp jump issues. The .327 has always intrigued me but I went with the timeless .38spl.

I've been carrying my LCR38 for years in all sorts of pockets and I have no complaints. Jeans, slacks, shorts, rain coats, winter jackets, hoodies, as well as AIWB. Great gun. Took a while to get proficient shooting it though.

I never carry in the pocket, with the exception of a NAA 22 magnum, as a backup in the summer, Primary carry is always IWB.
Snubbies that I alternate between. Smith 638, 649 in .357, nickel 49,. I like them because the hammer is lopped off, so there's no snagging during the draw. I take along a speed loader and a 6 round strip. I also like the 938, that I got when they first came onto the market. With the 938 I carry 2 spare magazines. The choice seems to depend on my mood, more than anything.

Buddy of ours , let’s call him Bob J . Has always been told he had deep pockets and short fingers. Amount of times We’ve seen him pull cash out of them, well he could carry a 12 guage goose gun in those pants.
At least he doesn't have alligator arms too.

The G43 is pretty big for pocket carry.
But the biggest reason I wouldn't carry a Glock..... is that it's a Glock.
They suck. Not as bad as a Ruger, but there is not much that sucks as much as a Ruger.

[pot] [pot]
LOL I constantly make fun of the NES Glock fan boyz, especially 9mm Glock fan boyz. Glock triggers are great, however. Great if you like marshmallows and Doritos because that's how they work- feels first like squishing a marshmallow, then as it breaks it feels like crunching a bag of corn chips.

At least they are reliable, once you shoot a few mags worth of ammo to break them in. Other guns like Sigs don't go "click, nothing" like Glocks do during the break-in period so you never know if they are properly broken in.

I'm not wrong here. [devil]

I really do pocket carry a G43 & Mrs. Mountain has her own G43. And again- I'm not joking about the break in. Run a few mags before you consider it carry worthy.

Had a Colt Mustang many years ago. Now, the only pocket possibility is a snubby .38 Chief's Special with +P.

Other guns like Sigs don't go "click, nothing" like Glocks do during the break-in period so you never know if they are properly broken in.
none of 4 new gen5s i broke in did that. some ejection issues were annoying a bit on g34, all others were working fine from the factory 'as is'.

none of new gen5s i broke in did that. some ejection issues were annoying a bit on g34, all others were working fine from the factory 'as is'.

Oh, given that shining endorsement I retract my statement.

tenor.gif

LOL, ball busting aside- some of my Glocks were 100% reliable from bang one. Some. I do like Glocks enough that I have many, but don't count me in the blind worship of Glock cult.

Oh, given that shining endorsement I retract my statement.

tenor.gif

LOL, ball busting aside- some of my Glocks were 100% reliable from bang one. Some.
gen5 g34 got a bit heavier slide, i think, compared to the old one - and i had leupold dpp on it. it did not like it much initially, on 115gr ammo until all edges rounded up and barrel started smiling. :)
it did not act up with 124gr and 147gr at all, but, most ammo i shoot are dirt cheap 115gr tula.

with no optics all others were great as is. of course, with a 25c job done.

I'm sure this has been debated at ranges and gun shops, but I couldn't find anything here... what's ideal for pocket carry? I've been researching a lot on the LCR 38 and S&W 642/442. They seem to be the most popular options. I'm not too familiar with J-frames, I had a S&W Bodyguard .38 10 years ago and hated it, but I was a new shooter then. I'm wondering how bad is the recoil in either one if anyone has experience with them. Did you shoot standard pressure or +P? What weight, 130gr, 158gr etc. ? Like I said these would be for pocket, but I'd want to be comfortable using them... not expecting to put 1k rounds at the range. Curve ball; how does the Bodyguard .380 compare to both? Any input and suggestions would be appreciated.

I carried a 638 for years, i still do sometime. I’ll never get rid of it. I put an apex spring kit in years ago, then practiced 100 rds every couple of weeks for about a year. If you put in the time, its a joy to shoot. Never shot +p or higher gr ammo. Usually reloads from Freedom Munitions.

i hated shooting the bg380

I have never met anyone who enjoys shooting the Bodyguard, so what? It's not designed to be pleasant shooting it's designed to be tiny and is DAO which it makes a great pocket carry gun.

Not sure what people expect out of a super small pocket/carry gun, do you think you'll be fending off the terrorist attack and shooting targets at 20 yards? A pocket gun is a get off me gun, it's for extremely tight quarters and at the ranges you'd actually be using it, who cares how it shoots? Same for micro concealed EDCs. And when someone says they can shoot a 43 but not a 365 (or vice versa) then they probably just suck at shooting. Or they had one good range trip w/ gun X and they have it in their head that they're awesome with it and suck w/ everything else. Sure, you might prefer one over the other and even shoot one marginally better than the other but about the last thing I look for in an EDC is how well I shoot it, I can learn to shoot any gun proficiently. I look for concealability/comfort, reliability, caliber, capacity & availability. I'm not going to give up 3-4 rounds, drop to a lower caliber, or go with a significantly larger gun because muh cain't choot it good. The one I really don't understand is the Shield in .380. It's the same size/weight as the Shield in 9, why wouldn't you go w/ the 9 unless you're an 80 year old who just can't rack the slide? Yeah, the 238 is a tiny sweet shooter but I'm not pocket or AIWB carrying cocked and locked, I'm just not. P938 is crap, I had to send mine back a couple of times and the 365 is a much better option for micro 9; it's not significantly larger, it has higher capacity, a better trigger and it's not cocked & locked.

The best carry gun is the one you'll carry. I got a BG .380 for $200 that I use for one carry application only: When I ride my bicycle. It's small, light, I can wear it w/ my bike shorts, I don't care if I sweat on it and I know it'll go bang if I need it to and hit what I'm aiming at. Do I enjoy static target shooting at the range? Of course not. Will I carry my 365 when I'm riding? No.

Last edited:
Bought a SIG p238 for pocket carry, trigger sucked big time. Pivoting trigger/heavy pull made it a no go. Dumped it and ordered a RIA Baby Rock 380. They advertised it as having something like a 4# trigger, came with about a 12#. Pistol had issues right off the bat, mag dropped when fired, sent it back to RIA. Mentioned the atrocious trigger, and the replaced the pistol with a new one. Same atrocious trigger. They claimed they had to bump the pull up for "safety reasons", as it is a pocket pistol. Trying to figure out how to drop the heavy trigger pull. being that it almost an exact copy of a 1911.

I can’t pocket carry my 642. I don’t even carry it IWB because of the cylinder digging in. Actually, vest pocket or coat pocket in cooler weather or OWB with a long tee shirt or over shirt. Let’s see those pocket rigs.

I love pocket carry, it's how I'm carrying 95% of the time. I first considered it about 6yrs ago and I too considered (and shot) a bunch of different guns. What I found was that I hated small semi-autos. I really like, carry, and shoot compact and full size semis but the pocket size pistols all had grips that were too skinny and left my pinky hanging and controls (mag release, slide lock, safeties where applicable) that were too small for me to reliably operate.

For pocket carry, I think revolvers are absolutely the way to go. Easier to hold; no itty-bitty levers to work; they print less thanks to rounded edges/shapes; etc. I also like having a long heavy DAO trigger, which allows me to carry without a holster, if necessary, or in a soft comfy holster otherwise (I refuse to carry semi-autos in anything but kydex). A revolver also allows me the option of shooting from my pocket or while pressing the gun into my target, if necessary.

As far as revolver options go, I'm all about the LCR. Lightweight, reliable, better trigger than j-frames, large trigger guard so I can shoot it with gloves on, nice big comfy grip. Also, S&W has a history of spotty reliability and so-so customer service on occasion - Ruger has none of these issues.

As far as caliber goes, I think .357 kicks too much and doesn't perform that great from such a short barrel, and 9mm requires moon clips and has some crimp jump issues. The .327 has always intrigued me but I went with the timeless .38spl.

I've been carrying my LCR38 for years in all sorts of pockets and I have no complaints. Jeans, slacks, shorts, rain coats, winter jackets, hoodies, as well as AIWB. Great gun. Took a while to get proficient shooting it though.
That is a solid review and a useful post.
I love wheel guns, but have never been a fan of snubbies. I like the simplicity and general reliability of revolvers but I can't see how it would conceal better than a 1" wide semi.
I can also reload a lot faster than I can a wheel gun but like anything, the more you do it, the better you get.
Like we always say, find what works for you and stick with it. I am always surprised by the accuracy and shootability of my PM9 and I have big hands. Yeah you have to hang on to that little sucker, but recoil is not as bad as you would think.
38 special is a capable round, and there are plenty of options, but I think 9mm is probably more likely to be on the shelf.

Back
Top Bottom