What's Going On In Boston Right Now (Gladstone Street)?

Yup, you are correct. I think MSP still has some sort of annual fitness test, but I could be completely wrong.

I am curious as to why some think that if you are out of shape or obese or what have you, you should lose your job as a cop.

IF it impedes your ability to complete the functions of your job why shouldn't it? Out of shape and obese are two completely different parts of the spectrum IMO.

IF it impedes your ability to complete the functions of your job why shouldn't it? Out of shape and obese are two completely different parts of the spectrum IMO.

Well then shouldnt that apply to every industry or just LE? Obese cubicle worker, obese cop, obese nurse, daycare worker etc. Pull them all out of the lineup and what, put them on disability? Fire them?

Well then shouldnt that apply to every industry or just LE? Obese cubicle worker, obese cop, obese nurse, daycare worker etc. Pull them all out of the lineup and what, put them on disability? Fire them?

No, unless the weight is an impediment to performing the job duties. If an LEO responds to a call and this happens: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CjNQnrRv2Jw then he should either hit the treadmill or hit the bricks.

Seriously? I expect better from you.
I'm to overweight to be a cop but it in no way prevents me from doing my job, which is mostly sitting at a desk or in meetings. But even in my job there is normally a company policy that says I have to be able to lift 50lbs. If I can't do that I'm gone.

I would expect EVERYONE to meet the physical, and non-physical, demands of their job or be let go. And frankly this is the way it is in the private sector. So you should be explaining why cops are given an exception to the norm.

The tone of the reporting on this has completely changed. The Globe did a follow up on him (no I'm not linking to it). No mention of AWs and while not a sympathetic tone to the nut job a much less purient one. Talks of his desire to 'revolutionize policing' and the uproar that would come of a 'white officer shooting a black officer'

If a fitness standard is part of the job requirement, then it absolutely should. If it isn't and a person can still perform their job properly - well, then they can perform their job properly. As long as they're complying with their terms of employment, I see no problem.

Personally, I'd rather have a couple hefty types that can move some weight on my crew. As long as they are fit, carrying extra pounds really isn't relevant in my own opinion. I'm well within weight standards - what anyone would consider skinny - and I can't move near the deadweight some of the heftier people on my crew can.

The tone of the reporting on this has completely changed. The Globe did a follow up on him (no I'm not linking to it). No mention of AWs and while not a sympathetic tone to the nut job a much less purient one. Talks of his desire to 'revolutionize policing' and the uproar that would come of a 'white officer shooting a black officer'
Channel 7 news WHDH was still spewing misinformation about AW and BA this morning.

Seriously? I expect better from you.
I'm to overweight to be a cop but it in no way prevents me from doing my job, which is mostly sitting at a desk or in meetings. But even in my job there is normally a company policy that says I have to be able to lift 50lbs. If I can't do that I'm gone.

I would expect EVERYONE to meet the physical, and non-physical, demands of their job or be let go. And frankly this is the way it is in the private sector. So you should be explaining why cops are given an exception to the norm.

Gosh, Im sorry to have disappointed you.

Either there is a company policy, or there isnt, not "normally".

Im not too (not "to" dude, cmon, I expect better from you) overweight to be a cop, but I am too broken to do what I did 25 years ago, or even 68 months ago. I still do my job though, but I could not pass the physical fitness requirements I was forced to when I got on the job, which was 28 years ago.

Its quite possible I failed miserably in my attempt to illustrate my point, Ive been guilty of that before. Obviously, one of the 2 guys that got shot could not pass the requirements needed to enter the BPD academy like he did 12 years ago (I believe he is a 12 year veteran of BPD), and its quite obvious that his "in case of death" picture shows that he is obese. We cant assume tho, that hes incapable of doing his job just because he got shot, can we? The 28 year veteran who appears to be in much better shape was also shot, right?
I guess Im trying to simplify our focus in regards to this incident; these guys were ambushed. Not because they were old, or fat, or because they didnt have patrol rifles, or because a gun car was x amount of minutes out. The only way to prep for this scenario is to arrive at a DV call in full kit, with patrol rifles at the low ready, round in the chamber, safety off. Even in this condition, its still a 50/50 chance they dont take hits if theyre engaged by a guy with a fowling piece.

There is at least one family in Framingham that would advocate strongly that police should not be showing up to DV calls or cat stuck in a tree calls kitted out wielding a patrol rifle, right? Id agree with them as well, I bet you would too.

I highly doubt that youd "be gone" if it was somehow discovered that you couldnt fulfill your promise of being able to lift 50 pounds. Id even wager there is already a few civil cases that back me up here. Your "cops given exception to the norm " comment is BS.

Back
Top Bottom