What's better than an M1 Garand?

On a side note--does the premium on WRA parts extend across the board? I got a WRA trigger housing in my special. A quick google searched showed it might be worth a little more than comparable manufacturers. Just curious. If I could trade it and get a different one plus cash, I probably would.

WRA parts typically demand a premium others, but once it's been re-parked that maybe no longer the case. You're not going to realize much additional cash over a sell/trade to an SA housing, plus you're on the hook for s/h charges. Not worth it unless the part was rare and original finish.

WRA parts get about a 50% premium. Ask me how I know.[shocked]

t
I really dig the milled trigger guard, hopefully the next one will have one. Would have been handy to have the loop in the rear on the special, it was really in there tight (which is a good thing) but the stamped guard doesn't afford much leverage, ended up using the base of a wrapped screwdriver. Took a few good raps on the carpet with the comb of the stock to get the receiver group out as well. Again, a good thing. Certainly a lot tighter than my SKS!

I didn't expect the trigger housing to be worth much extra. I'll just hold onto it. Had an SA cut op rod as well.

Last edited:
I really dig the milled trigger guard, hopefully the next one will have one. Would have been handy to have the loop in the rear on the special, it was really in there tight (which is a good thing) but the stamped guard doesn't afford much leverage, ended up using the base of a wrapped screwdriver. Took a few good raps on the carpet with the comb of the stock to get the receiver group out as well. Again, a good thing. Certainly a lot tighter than my SKS!

I didn't expect the trigger housing to be worth much extra. I'll just hold onto it. Had an SA cut op rod as well.

Keep that stock locked up each time you remove it it takes a bit for it to settle in.

Keep that stock locked up each time you remove it it takes a bit for it to settle in.
Yes, once this initial takedown/cleaning is done and it's back in the stock it will probably be an "end of season" task. During the year I would expect to just clean the bore and chamber while everything is still in the stock. I'm guessing the grease on the underside of the barrel will be OK for a year? I think I read 1 yr/1000 rounds or so?

I took the bait and did the switch to service grade. estore updated to shipped about 15 minutes ago. [FONT=&quot]29363xx serial, June 1944?, D-Day, if so. If I recall, majspud has one from that month, too from last autumn. Fingers crossed for that USGI wood but I will be at peace if it's not, will just mean a new project.

I should be working from home tomorrow due to the weather. Curious to see if the intrepid FedEx man makes it in the blizzard, but I'm guessing it won't...[/FONT]

I took the bait and did the switch to service grade. estore updated to shipped about 15 minutes ago. [FONT="]29363xx serial, June 1944?, D-Day, if so. If I recall, majspud has one from that month, too from last autumn. Fingers crossed for that USGI wood but I will be at peace if it's not, will just mean a new project.

I should be working from home tomorrow due to the weather. Curious to see if the intrepid FedEx man makes it in the blizzard, but I'm guessing it won't...[/FONT]

sweet my last rifle came in a snow storm.... the driver was just as excited to see it as i was.

sweet my last rifle came in a snow storm.... the driver was just as excited to see it as i was.
I hope he makes it tomorrow in the snow, would make things easier logistically. Last one he was here at 9:04 AM so if he gets here that early he might get ahead of the snow. Although if the snow isn't much of anything I might not have the work at home option. Oh well.

I hope he makes it tomorrow in the snow, would make things easier logistically. Last one he was here at 9:04 AM so if he gets here that early he might get ahead of the snow. Although if the snow isn't much of anything I might not have the work at home option. Oh well.

Ooooh I have experienced this before. You will get a delivery delayed because of weather. I got mine on a Friday. That meant I had to wait until Monday. What really sucked was the weather was in Tennessee.

Ooooh I have experienced this before. You will get a delivery delayed because of weather. I got mine on a Friday. That meant I had to wait until Monday. What really sucked was the weather was in Tennessee.
That's what I'm afraid of. Just confirmed work from home tomorrow for the company so that's a given now. Here's hoping an overachieving FedEx driver rushes out as the snow starts [rofl]

Anyone wanna play 'Chosin Reservoir' with the Garands tomorrow at my range? Bring your bayonets...i'll supply the MRE's for chow.

I'll be coming up over the back stop with my T53 Mosin with ten thousand of my closest friends after lunch.

On truck out for delivery as of 9:06 this morning...will be interesting to see if it makes it.

Strange, as I wrote the last message, a FedEx truck appeared. Left a package for the neighbors. Sat at the end of my driveway for a minute, but drove off. No package left. Maybe a different truck? If they update the package to "no one available to sign" I will be a bit miffed as this truck didn't even try...

My guess is a different truck (kind of inefficient it seems) or something stupid like they forgot the package (seems unlikely). No notice left, I went down just to make sure he didn't stop here before the neighbor somehow. I put on my coat and shoes and everything to go outside, I saw his door slide open and then closed, and then he got back in and drove away. Still says out for delivery. It's worse outside now than it's been at any point, so I'm starting to think it'll end up delayed to tomorrow. I have an unrelated UPS package out for delivery today also, haven't seen him and no updates but it wasn't overnight or anything.

We get deliveries through out the day both ups and fed ex.
Usually a morning run then there's always a truck or 2 pushing the 5pm window.
My usual driver for FedEx generally comes by 12noon. Through out the day even at my house I see several trucks running back and forth.

Welp, just received an update email that delivery was attempted but could not be made due to the weather and that it's pending until conditions improve. Kind of annoying considering a truck was at the next house over and the package was overnighted. Oh well. I've been waiting over three months, I guess another day isn't the end of the world but it would have been convenient since I was already home...

if it makes you feel better I had a package that was supposed to be here todveay. Shipped out from VA on monday and got to NY before being delayed...... oddly it says it should be delivered by 8pm today?
Not counting on it and i wont be here... fortunate enough to have the ability to have every thing shipped to my work if needed.

if it makes you feel better I had a package that was supposed to be here todveay. Shipped out from VA on monday and got to NY before being delayed...... oddly it says it should be delivered by 8pm today?
Not counting on it and i wont be here... fortunate enough to have the ability to have every thing shipped to my work if needed.

Same. I had an AR500 target head being delivered today but the last update from FedEx showed it was in Willington, CT at 12:30 this morning....

It was still "pending" with no expected delivery when I left for work this morning so I put in a hold request. It was already at a hub in the next town over, just 21 minutes away from the office. Got the call/text/email for "ready for pickup."

USGI wood [smile] circle P and the eagle on the side, it looks like.
1/49 SA barrel, post war sights, stamped trigger guard. ME 2, TE 3.
20170316_074738.jpg 20170316_074807.jpg 20170316_074834.jpg

Quite pleased.

Attachments

• 20170316_074755.jpg
    20170316_074755.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 19
Nice looking SG.

Any rebuild etch on the receiver leg?

What's the s/n of the receiver?

@bigblue, the 6mil garands are collectors items due to the late S/Ns, that's where the premium in price comes from.

Nice. You got the GI wood too.
Yes, very excited! Did not expect it but maybe since it was a switch from FG -> SG and the CMP rep said she would note it, carried more weight? Who knows... On the new order timeline everyone upgrading seems to be asking for the USGI wood and seems to have gotten it so far, maybe since they're not for sale again they can be more selective? In the end I'm quite happy.
Nice looking SG.

Any rebuild etch on the receiver leg?

What's the s/n of the receiver?
Thanks, I haven't had time to strip it yet, planning to do it Friday night. Serial 29363xx, which I believe to be June 1944. I'll be curious to see how this one compares accuracy-wise to the special. The SG definitely feels a lot more like a milsurp with the USGI wood and patina/worn finish. Without having anything to compare it to, the pitting on the special is a lot more noticeable to me now since the SG has essentially zero on the receiver.

How many clicks up should I set the rear sight for 100 yards as a starting point?

Back
Top Bottom