What's better than an M1 Garand?

Yes, very excited! Did not expect it but maybe since it was a switch from FG -> SG and the CMP rep said she would note it, carried more weight? Who knows... On the new order timeline everyone upgrading seems to be asking for the USGI wood and seems to have gotten it so far, maybe since they're not for sale again they can be more selective? In the end I'm quite happy.
Thanks, I haven't had time to strip it yet, planning to do it Friday night. Serial 29363xx, which I believe to be June 1944. I'll be curious to see how this one compares accuracy-wise to the special. The SG definitely feels a lot more like a milsurp with the USGI wood and patina/worn finish. Without having anything to compare it to, the pitting on the special is a lot more noticeable to me now since the SG has essentially zero on the receiver.

How many clicks up should I set the rear sight for 100 yards as a starting point?

8-10 should get you on paper at 100 but then again every gun is different....

The specs are 8 clicks up at 1000" inches should impact with in a 3.5"w X 5.5"t rectangle aiming at he middle...... roughly the specs say +/- 2 clicks to get it with in the rectangle...

My guns are all different using HXP im between 5 clicks and 12 clicks for 100 yard zer between rifles and a few in between also... i have a 8 and 10 click rifles also...

if the new wood stock doesnt fit well it may have some poi issues.

I can tell you my almost correct HRA SG I recieved with a new wood once fitted correctly will shoot about 2 moa better than the same gun in period correct stock that fits really good...

Last edited:
1 1/4 inches up from center at 25yds should put you really close to a 200yd zero if you prefer the military method. I personally prefer this because it allows you to make corrections somewhat quickly as you'll be able to see your impact with the naked eye and pull/mark your target without having to hold up the firing line while you run down. I also like to keep a 200 as opposed to a 100 yard zero, because that's what I'm used to with my issued M16. We used to do a 36yd for 300 zero, but that changed a few years back for whatever reason.

1 1/4 inches up from center at 25yds should put you really close to a 200yd zero if you prefer the military method. I personally prefer this because it allows you to make corrections somewhat quickly as you'll be able to see your impact with the naked eye and pull/mark your target without having to hold up the firing line while you run down. I also like to keep a 200 as opposed to a 100 yard zero, because that's what I'm used to with my issued M16. We used to do a 36yd for 300 zero, but that changed a few years back for whatever reason.

it matter not what you zero it for the rear sights are adjustable. The M1 rear sights are 1 moa/ 1 inch per click. depending on your hold you use. Center or 6 oclock ? you need to figure that out.

roughly at 27 yards draw a 1.75" black aiming dot. adjust your sights to point of impact to your point of aim. now from here you shuld be darn close to a 200 yard zero or in theory in the black. From that zero come down 2 clicks and in theory you should be in the black for 100 yards

your average sight adjustments
100 yards to 200 yards come up 2 clicks
200 to 300 come up 2
300 to 600 come up 12

now this can all change by several MOA depending on eye sight, lighting conditions, shooting position although for hits on mansize targets its good enough for GI

check it out on your M1 elevation drum.... count the clicks inbetween each yardage mark...

Last edited:
although for hits on mansize targets its good enough for MARINE

FIFY :D

You'd be surprised/probably not very comfortable knowing how many Marines can't hit minute of paper at 200, 300 & 500 yards with their service rifles during annual qualifying.

But yeah...what Mac said! I just figured it might be a little easier/slightly less unnerving with a closer target taking it out for the first time.

Last edited:
Sounds good. As primarily a shooter Combloc rifles, I am looking forward to those aperture sights. Since the special came with a web sling, I can throw that on the SG and use the Ron Brown for the special. Probably can't use the prone station for a few weeks though since snowbanks are blocking it.

I received my 3rd Garand the other day. It is a Springfield made in 1943. I have to give it a closer inspection, but it is in really great shape. Now I can use the stacking swivel to stack all 3 of my Garands together.

When I was in Athens, Greece this past summer, I went to their tomb of the unknown soldier. The guards there still carry M1 Garands. Check out these pictures.

DSC_0632.jpg DSC_0635.jpg DSC_0639.jpg DSC_0641.jpg DSC_0644.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0632.jpg
    DSC_0632.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC_0639.jpg
    DSC_0639.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0632.jpg
    DSC_0632.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 10
FIFY :D

You'd be surprised/probably not very comfortable knowing how many Marines can't hit minute of paper at 200, 300 & 500 yards with their service rifles during annual qualifying.

But yeah...what Mac said! I just figured it might be a little easier/slightly less unnerving with a closer target taking it out for the first time.

I don't want to leave any branch out so General Issue is good enough.
Last summer a family of marines was at the range spreading 4 generations great gramps and gramps embarrassed dad and son. The son was 25
Gramps could have played Sgt. Hartman man did he let his son and grandson have it. G.Gramps just said it was a sad day for the Corp.
The gramps shot M1s , dad shot M1a ,son had tacticool AR . They shot at a SR1 target and the bet was who was paying for dinner. I think the son asked dad to borrow some money [smile]
It was interesting to hear them talk about the differences in their training and such. G.Gramps who is 94 IIRC was run through marksmanship training with a 1903

Last edited:
These work well enough also http://i.imgur.com/YCJQAR2.jpg

If link don't work I will post later. 50 yard zero target i use these for rough zero myself windage and elevtion the white paper shows holes well and even with my cheap 40x spotting scope i can see the holes. i try to zero my rifles by the center of the groups..
YCJQAR2.jpg

Last edited:
Any rebuild etch on the receiver leg?
I'm going through the SG now. What does it look like?
SA trigger housing, SA oprod cut so far
Edited to add: I don't see anything on the legs themselves so I assume there is not one

Last edited:
Reading thread title: What's better than an M1 Garand?

"It's TWO M1 Garands! Please say two M1 Garands!

Clicks on thread. Reads first line: How about two of them?

YES! It's two M1 Garands!

[laugh]

Reading thread title: What's better than an M1 Garand?

"It's TWO M1 Garands! Please say two M1 Garands!

Clicks on thread. Reads first line: How about two of them?

YES! It's two M1 Garands!

[laugh]

Actually you need 3 to play with the cool kids cause you cant use your stacking swivels with out 3 [smile]

I must be a complete nerd I have 3 and never even tried to use the stacking swivels

I've been thinking about the stacking swivels lol.

The SG is clean now, reassembling and greasing now. Tuesday first trip is the plan. Special is clean except the receiver and barrel. As expected the special had virtually nothing dirt-wise except the oprod and recoil spring basically, if I recall they do a test fire on all of them.

for the life of me I can't get the follower arm pin to go through. the last little section won't make it. I've tried holding the clip release and it makes no difference. Any suggestions? It was tough to get it out during disassembly

I'm going through the SG now. What does it look like?
SA trigger housing, SA oprod cut so far
Edited to add: I don't see anything on the legs themselves so I assume there is not one

http://i.imgur.com/ToqYa8N.png

To your issue around not being able to get the pin back in, the bullet guide should sit under the op rod catch, make sure that little swivel thing on the op rod catch is aligned properly. BTDT. Hard to explain. Guessing that's your issue.

I got it to work. I tapped the end with a rubber hammer and it went. I knew it was the bullet guide because the pin was fine when I used my special's bullet guide. All set, greased and reassembled. Web sling installation next, then range trip on Tuesday

I got it to work. I tapped the end with a rubber hammer and it went. I knew it was the bullet guide because the pin was fine when I used my special's bullet guide. All set, greased and reassembled. Web sling installation next, then range trip on Tuesday

That's the easiest pin to reinstall. Make sure everything is lined up correct. That pin has a tendency to just fall out when the rifle is out of the stock.

Ready for Tuesday. Hopefully I installed the web sling correctly. I found the included CMP directions a little lacking. I had to use a punch on the SG to get the pin out during disassembly, it was not a problem on the special. Pin was fine when bullet guide was not involved or when testing with the special's bullet guide, so the SG's part is definitely at fault. Based on a CMP forum search, it looks to be a relatively common problem? Anyway, like I said, a couple light taps with mallet got it in place.

20170317_232441.jpg

JCG had simplicity in mind for the M1 you really don't need anything more than a bullet tip to field strip a M1 and a combo tool or M10 kit to do a detail strip.

Ready for Tuesday. Hopefully I installed the web sling correctly. I found the included CMP directions a little lacking. I had to use a punch on the SG to get the pin out during disassembly, it was not a problem on the special. Pin was fine when bullet guide was not involved or when testing with the special's bullet guide, so the SG's part is definitely at fault. Based on a CMP forum search, it looks to be a relatively common problem? Anyway, like I said, a couple light taps with mallet got it in place.

View attachment 193550

Web sling use
[video]https://www.youtube.com/#/watch?v=KRPfj-6bRZM[/video]

Install
[video]https://www.youtube.com/#/watch?v=PPiGJgDUcQY[/video]

Last edited:
Put 32 rounds of HXP down range yesterday. No malfunctions. Definitely need to be better about not letting any rounds protrude a bit from the en bloc, I wasn't careful enough when loading them. Still trying to figure out the best method for me.

Started 10 clicks up, was a little too high at 100 yds, brought it down to 8 and slight windage adjustment to move POI to the right.

Seems to be pretty spot on now. Hoping for another 32 rounds today, maybe on paper if I have time. Would be nice to get a sample grouping.

How are you adjusting if you aren't shooting paper?
I worded that badly, sorry. The first shot I took was at a 100 yd plate just to see how close I was and it either hit the plate or the 18 wheeler mud flap that suspends it. Someone had left a paper target at 50 yds that I used in conjunction with my friend's spotting scope to make adjustments to get a little more refined. The targets were already a bit shot up and only at 50 yds so it was more to get it "in the ball park". Only had 30-ish minutes and 32 rounds, put about half on the plates and usually hit them, so I am reasonably close but need to fine tune. Hoping to shoot a group or two at a fresh target 100 yards down range, that's what I was trying to get at.

That, and with a spotting scope, you can see where the spray paint was hit on the 100 yd plates if they're relatively fresh.

Just received my first garand Wednesday.

Got the offer to upgrade my field grade to service grade last Friday and took it with the request of usgi wood like most.

Was hearing lots of people getting lucky with their upgraded orders having usgi wood, but wasn't the case for me.

Throat 2 muzzle 1. SA3458XXX puts it at February of 45 I believe.

Looks like the armorer wrote the wrong serial on the tag though. Hopefully the readings are correct to the rifle. I'd think he just mixed up and wrote A 1 instead of a 4 since it says 3158XXX on the tag instead of 3458XXX like everywhere else.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom