What would you want in your pharmacy?

There's something I've been thinking about recently and I thought I'd get some input from the people here.

Hypothetically speaking, say you had a Doctor that was sensitive to your desire to be prepared for a SHTF situation. This Doctor is willing to give you any prescriptions you want, on the condition that you won't sell them, abuse them or do anything else illegal with them. Other than any medications that you take on a regular basis, what prescriptions would you want for your "pharmacy" and why?

To make it a bit more intriguing, say you were limited to a space about the size of a linen closet.

So far, I've thought of some that I'd definately want:

Epipens - in case of any allergic reactions
Keflex \
Zithromax | At least 5 different types of antibiotics for infections to prevent
Penicillin | building up a resistance.
Doxycycline |
Amoxicillin /
Atenolol - Blood pressure medication (Beta-Blocker)
Lisinopril - Blood pressure medication (Ace Inhibitor)
Tamiflu - Flu medication
Klonopin - Anti-anxiety medication
Valium - Anti-anxiety medication
Xanax - Anti-anxitety and Depression medication
Prozac \ Depression medication
Zoloft /
Ativan - Anti-seizure medication
Percocet \
Vicoden | At least 3 types of pain killers depending on severity of pain
Morphine /
Nitroglycerin - Treat or Prevent Angina or Heart Attacks
Lidocaine - Treat heart arrhythmia
Novocaine \ Anesthetics (local and topical)
Lidocaine /
Albuterol - Emergency asthma inhalor

I also wouldn't mind having a portable defibrillator, just in case.

I'm sure there are many more that I either haven't thought of, or can't remember right now. I'd love to see what else everyone can come up with to add to the list.

There's something I've been thinking about recently and I thought I'd get some input from the people here.

Hypothetically speaking, say you had a Doctor that was sensitive to your desire to be prepared for a SHTF situation. This Doctor is willing to give you any prescriptions you want, on the condition that you won't sell them, abuse them or do anything else illegal with them. Other than any medications that you take on a regular basis, what prescriptions would you want for your "pharmacy" and why?

To make it a bit more intriguing, say you were limited to a space about the size of a linen closet.

So far, I've thought of some that I'd definately want:

Epipens - in case of any allergic reactions
Keflex \
Zithromax | At least 5 different types of antibiotics for infections to prevent
Penicillin | building up a resistance.
Doxycycline |
Amoxicillin /
Atenolol - Blood pressure medication (Beta-Blocker)
Lisinopril - Blood pressure medication (Ace Inhibitor)
Tamiflu - Flu medication
Klonopin - Anti-anxiety medication
Valium - Anti-anxiety medication
Xanax - Anti-anxitety and Depression medication
Prozac \ Depression medication
Zoloft /
Ativan - Anti-seizure medication
Percocet \
Vicoden | At least 3 types of pain killers depending on severity of pain
Morphine /
Nitroglycerin - Treat or Prevent Angina or Heart Attacks
Lidocaine - Treat heart arrhythmia
Novocaine \ Anesthetics (local and topical)
Lidocaine /
Albuterol - Emergency asthma inhalor

I also wouldn't mind having a portable defibrillator, just in case.

I'm sure there are many more that I either haven't thought of, or can't remember right now. I'd love to see what else everyone can come up with to add to the list.

Is that a serious list? Are you a Dr. or into drugs.com?

More issues of gun magazines.[laugh]

Last mag I picked up was "Combat Hand guns"
It was a good issue.

Better cigars...

Ocean sailors often get prescriptions filled for their kits, since they are days away from any help.

Most forget any dental tools.

Your best bet is to ask around for a doctor who specializes in wilderness medicine or who is associated with a search and rescue organization and thereby has a keen appreciation for what you are trying to do. You can also contact the Wilderness Medical Society for a referral. Another alternative is Wilderness Medical Systems who's medical ditrector, Dr. Gil Preston, will provide prescription medications in their medical kits after a phone consultation.

For pain relief:

* Hydrocodone Bitartrate 5 mg and Acetaminophen 500 mg Tabs (GENERIC, Vicodin, Vapocet and others) #
and/or
* Hydrocodone Bitartrate 7.5 mg and Acetaminophen 750 mg Tabs (Vicodin ES) #
and/or
* Oxycodone Hydrochloride 5 mg and Acetaminophen 325 mg Tabs (GENERIC, Percocet and others) #
and/or
* Ibuprofen 800 mg Tabs (GENERIC, Motrin and others)

Traditional Antibiotics:

(Note: you might be able to get these or an equivalent antibiotic from your doctor as samples in sealed packages)

* Cephalexin 500mg Tabs (GENERIC, Keflex) #
and/or
* Erythromycin 500mg Tabs (for those allergic to Penicillin or Cephalexin) #

Non-traditional Antibiotics:

(Note:These both are smaller pills than the traditional antibiotics above and the number of pills required is much less, but they are more expensive. Use when space is at a premium.)

* Ciprofloxacin 500mg Tabs

(These are taken only twice a day, halving the number traditionally required)

* Zithromax 250mg Capsules

(A full course of treatment only requires six doses, but they are VERY expensive.)

Pain killers, antibiotics, and the daily meds I'm on.
Ativan is an anti-anxiety, and some of the meds you mentioned should not be administered unless you KNOW what kind of trouble the person is in.

My list is short and all antibiotics:

Augmentin (Amoxicillin)
Unasyn (Ampicillin)
Cipro (Ciprofloxacin)
Bicillin (Penicilliin G)
Beepen-VK (Penicillin V)
Ceclor CD (Cefaclor)
Maxipime (Cefepime)
Silvadene (Silver Sulfadiazine)

Remember: 4 over-the-counter Ibuprofen = a prescription dose

Much of the non-hippie community laughs at herbals, but I like to keep on hand a fair amount of science backed natural supplements and herbs.

I advise as part of your preps that you look into things like olive leaf extract as an antibiotic/antiviral
Peppermint oil pills for bowl problems
chamomile for blood pressure
etc..

there is plenty of info on alternative medicines, not to be overlooked... especially when conventional medications aren't readily available to be stocked and potentially costly.

Hiltonizer,

Agreed, herbals are a great alternative, since pharmasuticals are restricted by Uncle Sam.

If I could get what I want?

Epinephorin (Synthetic Adrenaline is a wonderful thing)
A small array of both chemical and organic anti-biotics
Tamaflu (Flu anti-viral medication)
Anti Inflamatories (I'm allergic to Ibuprophin)

An anabolic steroid to help deal with injuries
Some form of Anphetamin for situations that require longer hours than I can stay awake on my own.
An Anti-fungal powder or creme

I'm sure I could come up with a few others, but really looking for the emergancy stuff. If you're reaching for anti depresants / MAO inhibitors, you've already lost.

If you're reaching for anti depresants / MAO inhibitors, you've already lost.

The only reason I included those in my imaginary pharmacy is because I got to thinking that a timely SHTF situation can get pretty depressing. If you have a small community of people working together, and a member starts to get depressed over the situation, he/she may become a hazard to the others. You may be forced to make a decision to either exile that person or try to medicate them.

add this
Diphenhydramine 25mg pills...great for sleep..yes you will need it. also works great for allergic reactions

ASA 325mg ............ for heart attacks, Headaches
Imodium pills .......... you may have ingest things that dont sit well in you stomach. you can die of dehydration with massive diarrhea quickly
these 2 drugs can help save your life

Excellent points, haynesmic.

I wish I could figure out how to effectively stockpile EpiPens. Every one I have ever seen has about a one-year "use by" date on it. I wonder if I can convince my doc to prescribe me an ampule of epi and the needle and syringe to administer it. That would give me a much better shelf life than an EpiPen.

On my extended backpacking trips (30+ days) my first aid kit is very minimal.

Generic Neosporin
Duct tape
Toilet Paper
Visine style container with bleach
some Iodine tablets or cystals
dental floss
small fish hook

Painkillers can be dangerous. If you are seriously hurt, and take pain killers, you can make an injury worse. There are lots of natural remedies you can use..like eating ash from a fire, etc. The bleach can purify water or clean wounds. If you have any booze, it can be used as sanitizer as well.

I've had EpiPens in a 2-pack before. It's good peace of mind to know I have a backup, especially since my doc told me that in a severe case, sometimes you need to give a follow-up shot. But... the expiration date on the package was no better than that on a single pen (about 1 year). I have no problem using somewhat "expired" meds - as you say, the vast majority of stuff doesn't go bad, it just gets less effective over time. However with epinephrine, my understanding is that it is not generally regarded as long-term shelf stable in anything but 100% glass containers (ampoules) because of oxidation. So I don't know that a six-month-expired EpiPen would have enough active drug to be useful in an emergency. I would still try it if I had nothing else, but I'd rather try to figure out how to get around that problem. I don't know that it can be done.

The problem with the epinephrine is the storage of it. I wouldn't want so may pain killers. But I do think its a great idea to have a few Z-packs.

Back
Top Bottom