What would be a good .22 rifle for benchrest?

I have a Ruger 10/22.
It shoots OK, but I can not keep a tighter group than 1 in. at 50 yds.
To shoot the 2" bullseye targets, I think I need a more acccurate gun.
Any suggestions?
Thanks, Mike

Savage Mk2 FVT unless you want to get into higher end like Anschutz.

Updated: due to fingers not being connected to brain on Manufacturer

Last edited:
Used Anschuetz 54 system & barrel, add an adjustable stock and a Weaver T-Series 36x 40mm Adjustable
Objective 1/8 MOA dot reticle - done. Paired with optimum ammo this will hit a mosquito's balls.

I have a Ruger 10/22.
Any suggestions?
Thanks, Mike

The rifle and scope can't be more than 8lbs.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you mean Savage MKII

I have the FVSR and it is very accurate, especially for its price point.

The Savage seems in the same price range as the Ruger 10/22.
Is it much more accurate?

I had a 10/22T (factory hammer forged heavy barrel) and a standard carbine model. Both rifles, off the shelf, were about 1" at 50 yards. My Savage MKII FVSR is about 1/2" at 50 yards, some groups are one ragged hole.

You could replace almost everything in your 10/22 with aftermarket parts and achieve greater accuracy, but you will spend $1k or more. I'm not saying my Savage is a better shooter than an Anschutz or other high end rifle, but it is better than any 10/22 I have shot.

I had a 10/22T (factory hammer forged heavy barrel) and a standard carbine model. Both rifles, off the shelf, were about 1" at 50 yards. My Savage MKII FVSR is about 1/2" at 50 yards, some groups are one ragged hole.

You could replace almost everything in your 10/22 with aftermarket parts and achieve greater accuracy, but you will spend $1k or more. I'm not saying my Savage is a better shooter than an Anschutz or other high end rifle, but it is better than any 10/22 I have shot.

Thanks

Since you are posting this in the Rifle Competition subforum, I assume you are asking about formalized benchrest shooting? I'm not sure by the post.

B

One of my clubs holds a 50 yd competition a few times a year.
My Ruger 10/22 would be good for varmint shooting or shooting cans. It just won't hit the center ring on the USBR green 2'' target with consistency.

I shot a little .22 Benchrest up here a few years ago. 10/22's aren't going to come anywhere close to cutting it. Most everybody had either an old Anschutz, Winchester 52, or a Remington 40x. A few people with more money had Kelbys, etc.
If I remember right, the "10" you were aiming at was smaller than the diameter of the bullet (50 yds). 10/22's just don't have that kind of accuracy in them. Believe me; there were guys who had $1000 or more wrapped up in them and they still couldn't hang with the bolt guns.

I keep hearing great things about the out of the box accuracy of the CZ .22s.

Do some digging around rimfirecentral.com Great board with more .22 info than you'll ever need.

I can't imagine why you'd want to shoot benchrest, but if you must Anschutz is the way to go.

I have a Ruger 10/22.
Any suggestions?
Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike,

Not being a d!ck but....
What are you doing wasting time with that stuff.

You missed three great highpower matches this weekend!

IMO....
you would be better off spending time in position dryfiring for service rifle than even thinking about benchrest 22.s!!!!

You missed Ryan B. shooting a 10x clean in sitting in the NHHPRL League match at NFGA today...

wtf......
your friend....
George

Hi Mike,

Not being a d!ck but....
What are you doing wasting time with that stuff.

You missed three great highpower matches this weekend!

IMO....
you would be better off spending time in position dryfiring for service rifle than even thinking about benchrest 22.s!!!!

You missed Ryan B. shooting a 10x clean in sitting in the NHHPRL League match at NFGA today...

wtf......
your friend....
George

First laugh of the day.
I couldnt get up early enough Sunday. Up late after an Irish wake

Back
Top Bottom