what the ammo cost

went into walmart today to pick up some "cheap" target stuff...boy was i surprised

100 round box of winchester .45acp loose was $28+ and i think the .40 was $29+

since when did walmsert get so expensive and winchester loose become so expensive?

i went up the street to dicks sporting goods and got 100 rounds of remington umc for $24

i asked the kid behind the counter why such a hike in price...he said cuz all the stuff is goin over to support the war?????? what the eff??? [angry]

went into walmart today to pick up some "cheap" target stuff...boy was i surprised

since when did walmsert get so expensive and winchester loose become so expensive?

i went up the street to dicks sporting goods and got 100 rounds of remington umc for $24

i asked the kid behind the counter why such a hike in price...he said cuz all the stuff is goin over to support the war?????? what the eff??? [angry]

Its cause the price of brass, copper, etc. is so high these days. Ask any scrap man what they're getting for copper and aluminum and watch their eyes light up.
Might be time to take those bags of milsurp brass I have to the scrap yard for more money than what they're worth in reloading.[thinking]

Its cause the price of brass, copper, etc. is so high these days. Ask any scrap man what they're getting for copper and aluminum and watch their eyes light up.
Might be time to take those bags of milsurp brass I have to the scrap yard for more money than what they're worth in reloading.

if thats the case im gonna start savin my brass and get it melted down

i dont have the time to reload so id rather get something back in the end...even if its only a few bucks for 100 rounds ill take it

BH I suspect you went to the Danvers Wal-Mart. The guy behind the counter, "Arthur" I think his name is, is a wanna-be. He has the keys to the ammunition display case and that's his extent of firearm knowledge. Ammo prices are tied to many things including and especially the prices of copper and fuel for transportation. Go to Home Depot up the street and check out the price of a roll of 12-2G Romex wire. You'll pay about $70.00 for it, down from the high of about $110.00 but certainly way up from the traditional $25.00 electricians have bought it for for years. I would expect the widespread conversion to plastic "pex" water piping for domestic potable water systems is a result of copper plumbing pipe being similarly outrageous. Grin and bear it, or start picking up your brass at the range and buy reloading equipment like I'm about to do.

yes executive it was the danvers walmart...its funny cuz "arthur"...not really sure that was his name or not...was complaining how they took away all the guns and catalogues etc from "him"...and how "he" could get me a better deal had he still had it...oh ya...he also never asked for my license...then i remembered why they took all thet stuff away from "him"

like i said i wish i could get into reloading but i really dont have the time...when im not in work in at school...when im not in school im studying...i really dont have the time to learn how to reload and then go through the process of tumbling cleaning etc...wish i did though...but the way i figure it is when i have the time...in about 4 years...ill be making 6 fgures so reloading nor the price of ammo will really be much of a concern anymore

I was just at Walmart in Northbridge and the price of the 100 count 45acp jumped to $32 there. I was pretty suprised as I just bought some last month for $22. A $10 hike in one month. Geez.

Glad I'm starting to reload.

WWB has been "up" for awhile as well as the price of other ammo
everywhere. Most of this is just due to the raw material costs
going apeshit, especially WRT the price of copper. I suspect that the
ongoing wars in iraq and afganistan also have a role to play in terms of
causing ammo to dry up. Even if the guys over there aren't using milsurp,
the whole industry works in an orbital pattern... so the guys that were buying
"new" ammo have turned to milsurp due to price and so on and so forth.

The only real way out is to reload, or make very good friends with someone who does (and consequently
knows what they're doing.) Once you get everything set up to do the most expensive/favorite calber, it does
not take much time to keep the thing running, or at least thats the way it seems from outward
appearance. Pick the "bastard caliber" thats hurting you wallet the most and reload that.. and then
judge if reloading the others is worth it. Typically most people have one caliber they end up favoring over the
course of a year... for me its .45 ACP, so I will reload that first....

-Mike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom