What size is nugget coal

The manufacture of my outdoor coal furnace told me to use nugget size coal , I've been experimenting with nut and its working great , I have never heard of nugget and haven't been able to find any info on it .There was a post on here back in 2008 that mentioned nugget coal so I thought I would put up a post and see if anyone here knows what size nugget is .

I have burned coal all my life and they only sizes I have seen are, RICE PEA NUT and STOVE I would say nugget is probably the same as PEA.

I'm intrigued. Is this outdoor furnace steam? I was thinking about options, and an outdoor furnace/boiler would eliminate the dirty mess inside with coal. Just have a truck dump it into a bin, and have it all separated from the house. Anything like this exist?

I'm intrigued. Is this outdoor furnace steam? I was thinking about options, and an outdoor furnace/boiler would eliminate the dirty mess inside with coal. Just have a truck dump it into a bin, and have it all separated from the house. Anything like this exist?

I've seen this set up with large wood-burning stoves. You have a shed detached from the house with the stove in it, and a pipe going through the back yard (usually underground) into the basement to the water heater or whatever. I don't know that I've ever seen it with coal, but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.

Don't forget the steam. I don't know if it is just hot water, or if they do it with steam also. Coal AND steam. Yeah, I'm old fashioned like that (actually the house is).

Its a Mahoning owb that is made to burn wood or coal or even both at the same time , it has real thick heavy shaker grates and a big easy clean out . So many of the owb aren't made to burn coal and I wanted the coal option just to ease the burden of cutting so much wood , not that I don't like cutting wood , I love it, but I'm not getting any younger !!! I was thinking that maybe the nugget was one step larger than nut but not as big as stove coal not sure , the manufacture suggested run of mine or nugget ?

I have a Russo wood/coal with similar thick heavy shaker grates and it happily burns nut coal all winter long. If nut is working for you, stick with what you have.

Do try different coal distributors though. I recently tried a place closer to home and I found out that the stuff that I was using that I thought was great still had room for improvement. I'm paying slightly more for the coal, but I am getting a much longer burn time from it even though they are both anthracite nut coal. Overall, my cost has been cut almost in half because I am burning considerably less.

One more time: Does anybody make an external coal boiler to heat one's house with steam? How about the same question, only with wood instead of coal?

Back
Top Bottom