• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What makes a pistol go full auto?

LLF

NES Member
Looking for some advice. I recently bought a Star Model F .22LR pistol, the Target version with the 7" barrel. The pistol is a single action semi-auto, ten round capacity. The gun does not have a slide latch. I took it to the range today, loaded it up, fired one shot, next time I pulled the trigger the gun emptied itself -- all 9 rounds. I loaded it two more times, same result. I showed the gun to the range officer and it went full auto on him too. Any technicians out there who could shed some light on this? I'd like to get the pistol working properly. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Something's broken, pull it apart and you'll find a broken part somewhere.

It's that dang "Auto Ammo" that the unregulated gun shops sell ! ! ! ! ! ! . . . . .we need more Laws ! ! Said no one evah ! ! ! ! . . . . Gun needs work.

agreed
had a cousin a few yrs back with a high standard .22 target pistol he never cleaned.
we were in an indoor range when it went full auto.
the firing pin was all gummed up stuck fwd.

Happened to my HS too, but it was because the sear adjusting screw accessible from the back of the grip had worked itself loose.

Agree. The ATF doesn’t care if the gun malfunctioned. They’ll call it an unlawful MG and send you to federal PMITA prison.

I have a hard time believing this. Its not like the op went out of his way to do it. He found the problem. Is going to try and rectify it and get it solved. Not like he went around bragging about his new full auto piece

A buddy had that happen with a brand new Smith and Wesson .45 a few years back.

He's in government law enforcement and even he was worried about possessing the pseudo MG. It went back to the FFL right away.

I have a hard time believing this. Its not like the op went out of his way to do it. He found the problem. Is going to try and rectify it and get it solved. Not like he went around bragging about his new full auto piece
Its happened before. Read about a guy who iirc was selling an AR to someone and it went full auto on the guy. Authorities somehow involved and no one gaf that it was accidental. Ill try to find a link.

eta-https://www.gunowners.org/a09032009.htm

Its happened before. Read about a guy who iirc was selling an AR to someone and it went full auto on the guy. Authorities somehow involved and no one gaf that it was accidental. Ill try to find a link.

To be fair, no where, other than the article's author, does it say the gun "malfunctioned". In fact, it sounds more like the gun was modified to be selective fire, hence the instructions not to put it in the "unmarked" (full-auto) position. This wasn't a case of a simple malfunction. But it is a good example of how a group like GOA can be their own worst enemy. By trying to make this sound like something about a malfunction they stir up gun owners and those against guns alike, but give the anti movement plenty of ammo in the form of "look how dangerous these guns are, they are capable of becoming full-auto all by themselves". Thanks for making things worse. I'll leave it to the AR experts to explain how an AR, with no modifications, can become a full-auto by putting the selector in an unusual position.

So unlike the OP it sounds like he knew about this and kept it anyways. But I've never had a rifle with an unmarked firing position without someone putting it there.

If a gun possessor knows a gun is presently capable due to modification or defect to fire more than one round when the trigger is pulled it is a machine gun and exposes him to criminal problems. It's not like the case if the person doesn't know the nature of the machine gun in his possession. If you have a gun in your possession that fires more than one round for any reason, I would get it out of your possession and into the hands of a licensed gunsmith for repair.

**edited to reflect 42!'s valid if nitpicky criticism!**

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom