What makes a pistol go full auto?

Most likely a broken sear spring or the sear spring became unattached or worn out to the point of no tension. It also could be the sear has rounded off or the hammer sear notch is worn out or both. All parts are available from Numrich Gun Parts. I would check these things out and order parts as necessary. Check for worn pins and bad springs while you are at it.
Sear Spring
Product #: 925200A
Part Key: NI
$6.95
Hammer (w/ Strut & Pin)
Product #: 925360
Part Key: 19
$27.45
Sear
Product #: 925310A
Part Key: 14
$20.60
Star_ModelF_schem.jpg

I had that happened years ago with a sterling 22. one round and the mag emptied. Try to figure it out, it looked like The sear was getting caught on something, a small Burr in the metals . I turned it into a Taunton gun buyback for $100, then bought a Glock

I have a hard time believing this. Its not like the op went out of his way to do it. He found the problem. Is going to try and rectify it and get it solved. Not like he went around bragging about his new full auto piece

I read about a case where a guy's rifle fired a double (or triple?) but didn't even go full-auto. Some dumbass at the range reported him, the ATF couldn't even make it malfunction again, (i.e.: it happened exactly once) and he still got jacked up for it.

I read about a case where a guy's rifle fired a double (or triple?) but didn't even go full-auto. Some dumbass at the range reported him, the ATF couldn't even make it malfunction again, (i.e.: it happened exactly once) and he still got jacked up for it.
Maybe your right. But I just have a hard time buying it.

If a gun possessor knows a gun is capable by modification or defect to fire more than one round when the trigger is pulled it is a machine gun and exposes him to criminal problems. It's not like the case if the person doesn't know the nature of the machine gun in his possession. If you have a gun in your possession that fires more than one round for any reason, I would it out of your possession and into the hands of a licensed gunsmith for repair.

You know I have great respect for your legal opinions, I've also enjoyed disagreeing with you. In this case I think you're very close to 100% accurate. Not 100% in the wording, but certainly 100% in the intent.

I think the use of the words "by modification" is inaccurate, they are far to broad. Nearly every semi-automatic could be modified to full if you put in enough time, money, and have sufficient skill. I may not have this level of skill, but I'd expect most machinists would. Does that mean the ATF considers any AR owned by a machinist to be a MG? No, they don't.

Similarly, we all "know" that a defective semi is "capable" of going full auto. But that doesn't make all our semis MGs.

As I write this, it seems to me that it's the word "capable" that is the problem. Perhaps this would be a better wording. "If a gun possessor knows that a gun's current functional state, whether by defect, modification, or design, will fire more than one round when the trigger is pulled, it is a machine gun and exposes him to criminal problems."

You know I have great respect for your legal opinions, I've also enjoyed disagreeing with you. In this case I think you're very close to 100% accurate. Not 100% in the wording, but certainly 100% in the intent.

I think the use of the words "by modification" is inaccurate, they are far to broad. Nearly every semi-automatic could be modified to full if you put in enough time, money, and have sufficient skill. I may not have this level of skill, but I'd expect most machinists would. Does that mean the ATF considers any AR owned by a machinist to be a MG? No, they don't.

Similarly, we all "know" that a defective semi is "capable" of going full auto. But that doesn't make all our semis MGs.

As I write this, it seems to me that it's the word "capable" that is the problem. Perhaps this would be a better wording. "If a gun possessor knows that a gun's current functional state, whether by defect, modification, or design, will fire more than one round when the trigger is pulled, it is a machine gun and exposes him to criminal problems."

Dude, I don’t know the law around this, but it’s clear that when he’s saying “capable” it means that it is currently able, not capable like potentially possible down the line. You’re splitting hairs and are only looking at the word “capable” in one way.

Dude, I don’t know the law around this, but it’s clear that when he’s saying “capable” it means that it is currently able, not capable like potentially possible down the line. You’re splitting hairs and are only looking at the word “capable” in one way.

I'm only looking at it the same way a prosecutor would.
I completely agree with you on what the intent was, and I specifically said that in my post.

I agree and see your point so I edited my post

For those of you who are wondering why I bought this pistol in the first place, I have a weakness for older guns. I had gone to a dealer to look at a Stoeger Luger only to be told I couldn't buy it (not on the list) but the Star Model F caught my eye. It seemed like a nice well made gun, all steel, and I really liked the way it felt in my hand. Obviously I couldn't try it out but it seemed like it would be a nice addition to my collection. I have bought quite a few older guns over time and this is the first one with any serious malfunctions. I have already ordered some parts from Numrich and I am looking forward to working on this pistol and getting her back to where she should be.

As others have said it could be crud in the firing pin channel but it could also be a broken disconnector. This happened to me during a match with a WWII P38. It was a broken locking lug. I still don't understand how a broken locking lug would allow the pistol to fire full auto but I replaced the lug and the problem went away.

You pull the trigger, the gun makes a sort of loud ripping sound, the barrel rises slightly and you're done.
The first time it did this I couldn't believe how fast it went.

Interesting, must have scared the pants off you the first time.

I had a stag ar that liked to burst fire for no good reason. But I never got to full giggle status

I know someone that polished the sear and trigger of a ruger mkii. It felt good but he wanted better. So a little more polishing. He then tried it at a bullseye match. 1 pull - empty mag. Put the gun down and said “I’m done for the night”. I don’t know much about the OPs pistol. But it if everything looks intact and clean, look for tweaks.

I had a Beretta Minx 22 short go full auto. It was caused by a burr on the rim of the chamber where the rim of the cartridge sits. My theory was that when the round was chambered and the slide hit fully closed, the burr ignited the primer in the rim. A little polishing of the chamber mouth took care of the problem.

In addition to the checks recommended above take a look at the chamber mouth. I gotta say a pistol going full auto was a WOW moment! Good luck.

Best one I can think of is David Olofson- He had an Olympic AR that had a selector that actually swung to FA, either by bad part selection or by defect. Gun did not have a sear in it, IIRC. The guy that borrowed it from him, of course, like a nipplehead, tried running the gun in the 3rd position. (even though Olofson told him not to do it because the gun didn't work right. ) Someone ratted on him because it doing 2-3 shot bursts (and jamming constantly, mind you) kopsch got called, kopsch called ATF, and the guy that borrowed the rifle sent Olofson down the river in exchange for walking. Actually did like 2+ years in federal prison for it, too.

The f***ed up thing is too, is there are ATF agents which would have said "give us the rifle and this goes away" but this broad that prosecuted Olofson must have
been a shitty agent or something and was looking to score.

Sipsey Street Irregulars: Subject: An Open Letter to Jody Keeku on the Occasion of her Conduct Review Board.

LOL... this broad and her cohorts are regular keystone kops.... [rofl] so not surprised that she thinks that whacking a guy with a defective rifle is a great
arrest...

Milwaukee ATF let suspected burglar get away

-Mike

I have witnessed that only once. Someone trying to qualify on our indoor range brought a Star .32 auto. He loaned it to another shooter to qualify with first, and it went full auto on him.

Luckily, the second guy kept his cool and had a good grip on the gun. He only put one round into the baffles.

Back
Top Bottom