what level protection is PASGT vest?

i have 3 PASGT vests they are 3 different sizes (small,medium and a large) it has 13 plies of kevlar so what level protection will 1 vest have ? what approx level would it be wearing two of them at the same time -26 plies?

PASGT vests are typically about NIJ-II level of protection. I'm not 100% sure what 2 stacked would be, but most likely NIJ-IIIA, I'm not sure it would make NIJ-III, but it might.

To get to NIJ-IV, you will need hard plates. You can pick up NIJ-IV stand alone plates that will really boost a PASGT vests capabilities.

TXDMERC

Something to note - to be "rated" for a perticular level of protection, a vest must not only prevent the penetration of a round, it must absorb sufficient energy from the round as to limit its "back-face deformation" to acceptable limits (I don't have the spec in front of me) to limit the blunt force trauma caused by the stopped bullet. A vest will "stop" a bullet well above it's rating and save your life, even if the vest "fails"

Also, protection is dependant on the backing material's ability to give, so if you do wear a plate, it's best to place it over the outer vest to allow the vests under it to absorb as much energy as possible.

BTW - getting shot while wearing a vest still HURTS like an SOB. It just turns a gunshot wound into getting it with a MLB style fast-ball pitch.

Here is a test that someone conducted on the PASGT armor:

http://www.savvysurvivor.com/PASGTarmortest.htm

You can purchase a much more comfortable vest that provides better protection for fairly short money. Those PASGTs are not fun to wear all day.

yes i checked that out like 2 years ago i wonder if anyone would test more, they arent that expensive to test ,i think gelatin tests would cost more then testing a pasgt vest.

Back
Top Bottom