What is your "Long Range" Rifle Platform?

I test my match rifle with its 4.5x scope on it. I'm finding it hard to find a target where I can repeatedly hold in the exact same spot. Probably the best thing for me to do would be to put a higher powered scope on there for load testing.
I have an old school A2 service rifle target gun that I use for a couple of matches every year.

When I was working up a load for it, I screwed a pic rail adaptor to the carry handle and mounted a 30x Sightron to it. The scope was way up high but I taped some foam to the stock to get my head up. It was a little hokey, but worked as a way to really test the accuracy of the load. With the gun settled down into a couple of bags and the 30x scope I could really remove my inconsistencies from load testing.

These are my 5-6 shot groups. I have posted several of these in my Sniper thread.

350 legend, I think that was 6 shots. 100 yards. I don't shoot the 350 past 150, it was purchased to hunt in Southern Michigan inside of 100 yards.

That is a 3" circle. (1" squares).

SmartSelect_20240429_144214_Gallery.jpg

6.5cm. Also at 100 yards. That is a 1" circle. 1/4 MOA. Consistent 1/4 MOA 5 shot groups. I can call when a group opens up, it is always my fault.

Also, this was not shot from one of those rests that hold the rifle. This was shot off a bipod putting the butt on a sand bag. So there is some human error.

Rifle is a TIKKA CTR.

SmartSelect_20240429_144321_Gallery.jpg

Anyone have any recommendations for a “local” gun smith that chambers barrels for bolt actions for “precision/long range”

I’ve shipped barrels and actions out before but shipping sucks. And I’d prefer someone who does this “specialty” and not just a smith who does routine work.

Now that's what I'm talking about. I need to get a quality shooter behind my DD5 and see if it can get the Sub MOA groups a lot of folks have reported with it. And that setup above is more like a quality new car 5 years ago 🤣
I shot sub moa yesterday from my old 20” LaRue upper, and it was not that expensive when I got it. They stopped selling them, though.

Just got one more confirmation that 70gr Nosler rdf can group well, but does not like hotter loads above 2700fps.

I shot sub moa yesterday from my old 20” LaRue upper, and it was not that expensive when I got it. They stopped selling them, though.

Just got one more confirmation that 70gr Nosler rdf can group well, but does not like hotter loads above 2700fps.
My $800 LaRue "ultimate upper" rifle is a 1.2 MOA gun with the skinny barrel. At least until it gets hot.

It weighs nothing and runs like a top and I'm thrilled with it.

Again , if we're talking about cherry picked 3 shot groups it's well under a 1 MOA. I typically do some warm up shooting to eliminate cold shooter shift and then shoot 1-2 shots to eliminate cold bore shift.

Then 3 - 5 shot groups. I'll discard called flyers only if I saw the sights moving as the shot broke.

A friend put together his Aero m5 lower/upper combo. He noticed there are differences in LPK parts. It's a CMMG style lower but has Aero specific parts ? This should be standardized don't you think ?

A friend put together his Aero m5 lower/upper combo. He noticed there are differences in LPK parts. It's a CMMG style lower but has Aero specific parts ? This should be standardized don't you think ?

Not with large frame ARs. There is no government technical data package for everyone to work off of.

So, companies have never fully standardized, you have rounded DPMS style receiver cuts vs Armalite/SR25 style angled cuts. And yes, also LPK differences too.

There are a number of different takedown/pivot pin sizes. Not a huge difference, but different. Also differences in bolt stops.

It’s best to get the LPK from the company who made the lower.

View: https://youtu.be/I8jXisOSOns?si=hOFymFV_ShMsOCJT

I found it I interesting how so many were very confident and then came nowhere close to making it.

Bloke on the Range and Polenar Tactical are doing a “1 MOA All Day” challenge:

View: https://youtube.com/watch?v=BM3SHvYosSs

Basically, video yourself doing a 10 round group at a minimum of 50 yards. No sighters or mulligans or anything.

They’re asking for a 10.5lb limit on the gun to weed out competition guns everyone knows will do the job. No led sleds or anything, buttstock must be in your shoulder. Front can be on bipod or anything.

Then take a picture of your target with software to calculate group size.

With his own submission:

View: https://youtube.com/watch?v=1S7RLMSH4nw

Last edited:
Not with large frame ARs. There is no government technical data package for everyone to work off of.

So, companies have never fully standardized, you have rounded DPMS style receiver cuts vs Armalite/SR25 style angled cuts. And yes, also LPK differences too.

There are a number of different takedown/pivot pin sizes. Not a huge difference, but different. Also differences in bolt stops.

It’s best to get the LPK from the company who made the lower.
Might be another small part or two, but the only significant difference for an Aero M5 lower vs. AR15 is that the front takedown pin is longer and the mag release as well, due to the bigger mag well. The rear is same as an AR15. You can use the same trigger, grip, safety selector, etc. AR-308 is the way to go.

View: https://youtu.be/I8jXisOSOns?si=hOFymFV_ShMsOCJT

I found it I interesting how so many were very confident and then came nowhere close to making it.

Yikes.
The general shooting public is kind of pathetic. It looks like too many rely on the perceived reputation of a certain firearm, or how cool they think it looks, instead of their ability to shoot a certain rifle to it's potential.

I think I've said it here or elsewhere; "accuracy" is really 3 factors.
1. The mechanical accuracy of the rifle: lock it down in a vise to remove all variables.
2. A barrel wants ammo that it likes.
3. Once the first 2 are taken care of, the person behind the trigger needs to allow the rifle to fire with minimal input from the shooter.

And maybe
4. Atmospheric conditions

Yikes.
The general shooting public is kind of pathetic. It looks like too many rely on the perceived reputation of a certain firearm, or how cool they think it looks, instead of their ability to shoot a certain rifle to it's potential.

I think I've said it here or elsewhere; "accuracy" is really 3 factors.
1. The mechanical accuracy of the rifle: lock it down in a vise to remove all variables.
2. A barrel wants ammo that it likes.
3. Once the first 2 are taken care of, the person behind the trigger needs to allow the rifle to fire with minimal input from the shooter.

And maybe
4. Atmospheric conditions
Yeah 25mph gusts do make things fun.

Might be another small part or two, but the only significant difference for an Aero M5 lower vs. AR15 is that the front takedown pin is longer and the mag release as well, due to the bigger mag well. The rear is same as an AR15. You can use the same trigger, grip, safety selector, etc. AR-308 is the way to go.
terminology there sucks. ar10 vs dpms 308 and dpms itself is low profile or high profile.
i use only aero m5, specifically m5e1 and very happy with them all. it is a dpms high profile. it just works and causes no surprises.

terminology there sucks. ar10 vs dpms 308 and dpms itself is low profile or high profile.
i use only aero m5, specifically m5e1 and very happy with them all. it is a dpms high profile. it just works and causes no surprises.

I don’t know of anyone still doing DPMS low. It seems like now it’s mostly just DPMS vs AR10/SR25 pattern. Both “high” picatinny.

That said, there are still LPK variations between some within this two categories.

Both takedown and pivot pins are larger dia on m5 and at least most dpms patterns, ar15 mag release will work. As mentioned already bolt catch is different and can have fitment/clearance issues on different manufacturers that a bit of filing will typically cure.

I don’t know of anyone still doing DPMS low. It seems like now it’s mostly just DPMS vs AR10/SR25 pattern. Both “high” picatinny.

That said, there are still LPK variations between some within this two categories.
Most of the generic uppers I run across are still 'low'...
Yes M5 is 'high' and seems to be becoming the most common and safest way to be sure dpms uppr/lower/handguard match.
But... Looking at the available selection of handguards on the market, it would appear that dpms low is still the more common of the two.
I have also run across small variances in rail height on the 'standard' of dpms high but so far never on low...

Then there's the 'wide' uppers vs 'narrow', a lot of the generic dpms lowers are cut to take either but not M5 which is narrow only. Also 'high' (PSA) vs 'low' (M5) on the top height of the buffer tube boss on dpms lowers where on a mismatch the charging handle contacts it before the takedown pin can line up.

Last edited:
Most of the generic uppers I run across are still 'low'...

But... Looking at the available selection of handguards on the market, it would appear that dpms low is still the more common of the two.

Ah, I see. Rando companies like guntec and Luth-ar.

The handguards I would view as quality all seem to be high pattern, or offer versions in both.

Back
Top Bottom