What is your favorite reloading manual?

I have been loading for many years and have mostly used Lyman's manual probably because it was recommended by the salesman that sold me my original Lee turret press back in 1984. Lately I have been relying on the manufacturers web site for current powders and data. What are you using?

I like my lyman's 50th anniversary as well as the hornady 9th. the Hornady has some stuff that the Lyman doesn't (Like the 6.5 carcano)

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I have the 49th and 50th Lyman books... But I also use the powder manufacturer's site (Hodgdon/Winchester) and an app called "Reloading Assistant" on my Android devices. I got the books more for COAL numbers and such. They have some recipes in the books, but you can find more online, via apps, or just google searches.

I like the "One Book One Caliber" manuals for quick reference.

All of them. Every manual has something to offer. Were I limited to one, it'd be the current Lyman. Two? The Lee. A must have should you be silly enough to shoot that leverevolution shit would be the latest Hornady. **** them and the horse they rode in on for that travesty, akin to 30-03/30-06, 7.92 .318/.323 and the lovely 38-55/.375.

Lyman seems to be the one I use the most.

I like looking online but always cross reference the info with my manuals.

1. The manual published by whoever made the bullet I'm loading, otherwise...
2. Hodgdon's website
3. Sierra
4. Lee
5. Lyman

I have Lyman's 50th, but I don't find it particularly useful. Only loading .45 ACP, and had relied on Hodgdon's website more (using Clays and Win 231). Published COAL seems almost irrelevant since cast 200 gr SWC are very COAL sensitive for proper feeding in my 1911. My only recommendation for using published data is to start with the starting loads and use with a chronograph. Work up the loads and watch for signs of high pressure in the spent cases. If trying to reach a specific velocity, such as trying to reach major power factor for the bullet's weight, work up the load until you have something that is equal or faster than the required velocity plus 200% of the standard deviation. Tweak from there to optimize accuracy.

While I have a few relatively recent handbooks, I typically check on the various powder and/or bullet manufacturers websites to get the latest info. I will make notes in my various manuals if I find differences between what may be on the various websites and the reloading manuals.

I use the Hodgdon website more than anything since I only use their powder but I reference the Lyman ,#49 and Hornady #9 frequently.

I use a lot of CFE pistol and CFE 223 so the data out there is limited except for Hodgdons website.

Back
Top Bottom