What is wrong with my 1911??

Tackdriver VillenTactical

Dealer
NES Member
Hello all.

My 1911 is having an issue where the hammer will not stay cocked after it is fired (or when I chamber a round by operating the slide manually in a quick movement). If I slowly bring the slide to the rear and ride it forward, it seems to work fine, but once I fire it, it does not stay cocked for the second round.

I insist on fixing this myself. So please any info on what I should do to fix this is appreciated.

Dave

My first guess would be that something is up with the sear and it is not catching the hammer when the slide moves back and forth quickly. Or, it could the the hammer. Perhaps the "tooth" that is supposed to rest on the sear is worn out.

1911seargoogleimagesgoo.jpg

Last edited:
It happens. You may need to replace the sear or hammer as the sear nose and hammer forks are worn out - hence the hammer is not staying cocked and is bumping out into half cock when the slide slams. At the range, in a safe manner, see if if does this while chambering a round. Reason I ask is, usualy the bumping is greatly reduced when the slide is actually chambering, you may be OK.

If the hammer is falling past half cock into the down position, that is another story and you will need a new hammer and sear.

Have you done any work to it recently? Like bending the left and middle fingers of the sear spring towards the back of the frame?

Install the hammer and sear on the outside of the frame and check for engagement. Is the sear nose rounded, uneven or at the wrong angle to the hammer hook?

So Tackdriver, what did you find? Have you inspected the sear/hammer engagement and sear spring tension like the other members suggested? Is this an old GI 1911? Or a newer production gun?

Back
Top Bottom