What is the best way to sell a gun?

How would y'all go about selling a legally owned gun in your possession? I'd rather not do the consignment thing with a dealer. On the other hand, I'd rather not be bringing strangers into my house to look at guns, but I don't relish the idea of selling one out of my trunk in a parking lot.

Ideas?

Thanks

-- Meet a prospective buyer at your gun club, and be sure to carry a gun when you do.

-- Meet at his gun club, with same precautions.

If a would-be purchaser creeps you out, don't agree to the sale, or to a meeting.

What CX posted plus make certain that any prospective buyers have the proper MA FID or Class A/B LTC for the firearm you're selling (that would also include ammunition and magazines).

How would y'all go about selling a legally owned gun in your possession? I'd rather not do the consignment thing with a dealer. On the other hand, I'd rather not be bringing strangers into my house to look at guns, but I don't relish the idea of selling one out of my trunk in a parking lot.

Ideas?

Thanks

You've received good advice so far. Make sure that you have an FA-10 with you and I also do a Bill of Sale, two copies, we both sign them and each person gets one. I put mine with my records should anyone ever inquire about the gun (remember the CHSB NEVER scrubs your name from that gun).

Meeting at gun clubs is the way I've done most private sales. Many years ago I did one at a dealer, per his request (it was a .22 rifle on blue card).

Funny thing is that I met one NES member in a Holiday Inn parking lot and sold a gun there. You do get a comfort factor with folks who are regulars on a forum, and may vary your "rules" for those particular people. There are probably 15 or so NES'rs that I wouldn't mind meeting at my house to do a transfer, but they are a huge exception to my "rule".

Do all of the above and become an NES member, I have done a couple deals and knowing they are members make you more comfortable.

I have gotten the best prices by selling on GunBroker.com, even with their commission. It just increases your market audience so much more, that someone is liable to pay top dollar. Shipping isn't that big a pain, although I had to go to another post office once because the local one suddenly couldn't figure out the regulations for shipping long guns.

Just remember any guns that you sell on Gunbroker is probably a gun you are sending out of this area.... So please don't sell hard to find gun out of our state!

Thanks Guys. Great ideas. I'd probably do it at my club on a Saturday when the place is full of people. I'd probably also demand a copy of his license before I met him.

I have a stainless RRuger mini 30 that I want to move, along with a Colt .380 government in blue.

C

Check out the FTF Protocols thread in the Classifieds sections.

I did 1 FTF purchase in a Sheraton parking lot, and 3 FTF sales at 1) a rest stop 2) Mass Rifle Association and 3) at the Smith and Wesson Shooting Sports Center

Also sold/traded in other parking lots.

Yeah, parking lots. They're certainly safe. You never read about anybody getting mugged in a parking lot. [shocked] If there was one place I wouldn't do a sale (other than inviting a total stranger into my home) it would probably be a parking lot.

Ken

Thanks Guys. Great ideas. I'd probably do it at my club on a Saturday when the place is full of people. I'd probably also demand a copy of his license before I met him.

I have a stainless RRuger mini 30 that I want to move, along with a Colt .380 government in blue.

C

Were I a prospective buyer, this statement would be a put off for me. I would not release any private information until I was ready to deal.

I would request a license be presented at the time of the transaction before I showed my sale items. If I was unsure of the person, I would ask for references. As a buyer, I would ask for references also so have names of people you have sold to ready.

As for meeting places, the club is great but too many people around can also be a distraction for the buyer and the seller.

It is very common for gun shops to require that you present an LTC before handing any handgun. It would not seem to be an unreasonable requirement to impose on a prospective buyer, provided you as seller are also willing to show yours up front. The buyer has as the same worries about robbery and setup as the seller, since it's a fair bet they've brought enough cash to cover the contemplated purchase.

It is very common for gun shops to require that you present an LTC before handing any handgun. It would not seem to be an unreasonable requirement to impose on a prospective buyer, provided you as seller are also willing to show yours up front. The buyer has as the same worries about robbery and setup as the seller, since it's a fair bet they've brought enough cash to cover the contemplated purchase.

Agreed, but to "demand it before a meet" is an unreasonable request. At the time of and before are very different.

Back
Top Bottom