What is the best shot you have made?

Back in Boy Scout camp at Camp Hinds in Maine, we were messing around and I said "See that Robin over there? Watch this." I picked up a stick and boomeranged it at the bird and killed in flat as a mackerel. I was a legend for the rest of the week.

I shot a clean in the off-hand stage of a HP match. 22 shots all in the 10 ring. The 22nd shot was excruciatingly difficult to break. I was shaking a little after it was over. If I remember correctly I bombed the sitting and dropped five points. LoL! Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

B

I shot a clean in the off-hand stage of a HP match. 22 shots all in the 10 ring. The 22nd shot was excruciatingly difficult to break. I was shaking a little after it was over. If I remember correctly I bombed the sitting and dropped five points. LoL! Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

B

Nice shooting. I'm lucky to keep them in the 8 ring. [grin]

In high school I shot my girlfriend's brother in the eye with a bottle rocket from a moving car.(guess this was more of an accident then a planned shot)

Caught hell for it too

I "Robin Hooded" 2 aluminum arrows when I was target shooting with my bow. One arrow is buried about 12" in the other - totally lined up. I still have it and should take a picture. Some believed it couldnt be done. Of course I was a poor grad student and the loss of 2 arrows was significant.

I "Robin Hooded" 2 aluminum arrows when I was target shooting with my bow. One arrow is buried about 12" in the other - totally lined up. I still have it and should take a picture. Some believed it couldnt be done. Of course I was a poor grad student and the loss of 2 arrows was significant.

Yep, the first time is Whoo Hoo. after that, it's Damn, that's another 2 broken arrows

robinhood.jpg

Nice - we have twins. I won some money on it when a 'friend' bet me it couldnt be done - I produced it and he tried to say I hammered it in ....

My best shot was actually with a throwing knife when I was 16. I was walking through the woods with a young lady I was trying to impress and I saw a pump house (it was a cranberry bog) about 40 feet away. I grabbed the knife, threw it sidearm, and by pure luck and the grace of a god that wanted me to get some, it stuck dead center.

I acted like I had mant to do it and calmly pulled it out. The rest was histroy.

Very easy shot, but it's one I remember.

a quail, right at eye level, right-to-left crossing at about 25 yards.

Parker G grade, perfect light, with an audience of experienced hunters.

Bird was dead in the air.

"Quick! Get it before it gets away!" they yelled.

Since I was facing away, they couldn't see my satisfied grin: "It's not going anywhere...." I said nonchalantly. [smile]

Super Trooper said:
Oh that little guy? I wouldn't worry about that little guy...
[wink]
Best, I have any photographic evidence of...

Zeroing rifle - fired single shot at 300 for the first time with this setup, dialed in expected correction and this was the second shot... I love it when a plan comes together...

IMG_20100919_172809.jpg

Last edited:
I dropped a Finch from a roof truss 18ft up. I got him with a paper clip fired from a rubber band in one clean shot. Fell straight down into a stainless sink.

What is the best shot everyone has made? not the luckiest, but the best. The one were you knew you had hit the target before the bullet had. When you knew before you tried that you were going to hit it.

Drove from the store to the range with a Sig P229 in .357 SIG, took it out of the box, loaded it, and fired it, feeling good about the gun. 12 rounds all went into one hole at 25 yards, hard to describe but the shots slowly crept to the right on paper, so every shot was on the same vertical position, but the hole was about an inch wide. My brother was the only one at the range with me, he saw the whole thing, we both just laughed. I've never replicated that, traded the gun away shortly afterwards.

Am I just paying less attention, or have your posts gotten less epic? I used to get the "You have to spread some reputation around before giving any to RI_John again" message all the time. [laugh]

I pegged a rabbit in the head with a rock from my slingshot out the kitchen window....maybe like 20 yards

best rifle shot was offhand 300yds hit a clay piegon, first shot

I suck at handgunning

My best shot was actually several shots fired at a rifle side match at a Westfield IPSC match a long time ago. The course of fire was four IPSC tagets engaged with two rounds each at 100yds, 75 yds, 50 yds, 25 yds, 10 yds, and a ten inch stop plate at 50yds. You began with a start signal at 100 yds and moved forward (ran) as you completed each distance. Your time was recorded when you dropped the stop plate. By the time I got to the stop plate I was wheezing so bad I didn't think I could hit it and I had only one round left in my pistol. Luckily, I managed to hit the stop plate.

I shot this match with my 45 ACP Gammon. I had the longest time of any competitor but managed to put all of my rounds on paper and finished in the middle of the field. Charlie Kelsey of Devel was both a genius and an artist; too bad he is no longer with us.

IDPA State Championship Nashua NH several years ago. Steel at 100 meters with a 625/// Point of aim was actually above the berm and hit it both shots. (missed the 25mtr steel though because of lack of focus)

Edit to add: won my division that year and a Sig 2340 [smile]

Last edited:
~ Take out the "X" . . .

super14-111.jpg

Remembering way back . . . I took two of my nephews (in Boy Scouts at the time I believe) to the range a few decades ago and instead of the usual 22 rifle and pistol we usually use I brought some of the larger caliber guns that they were wanting to shoot. At the end of the day we set up a slow fire target at 25 yards and I mentioned to them that I’ll take the first shot and take out the X (jokingly) then you can follow but you have to use a two hand hold on the gun.

The last gun we were going to shoot that day was my Thomson Center Contender, “Super 14” using the 30-30 cartridge and open sights. I almost always shoot one handed because of the decades of shooting Gallery Course in bull’s-eye shooting and found two hand shooting somewhat uncomfortable. Well as I brought the gun in alignment with the target I repeated to them “I’ll take out the X and you see how close you can come to that.” A second after the shot was off my nephew that was on the spotting scope yelled “He did it, he put the bullet right through the very center of the X!”

I took a peek through the spotting scope to make sure he wasn’t joshing me and sure enough there it was, a hole taking out the very center of the “X” in the X-ring. I exclaimed that that was my last shot of the day, I’ll never beat that shot. I was just hoping to to get the shot in the 10 ring or better since I hadn’t shot that gun in a couple months, and “LUCKED OUT” by plunking the X. My best and luckiest shot and another great day at the range with the nephews.

Last edited:
When I was much younger, probably around 15, I was throwing rocks at a beaver behind a dam by an old paper mill. I would throw a rock and he would slap his tail and dive before the rock got there. I picked up this half brick covered with cement and said "I'm going to hit him with this". I waited about 5 minutes, but he never surfaced. I got sick of waiting so I threw it as hard as I could. Just before it hit the beaver surfaced right under it and I hit him right on the head.

My funniest best shot was when I was 18 or 19 on a construction site. We always messed with each other and threw things too. One of the masons was walking toward me, He was the worst instigator on site, about 100 yards away. I picked up a small apple and threw it in his direction as hard as I could. He didn't even react since it was so far away. He just kept walking toward us. All of the sudden his legs buckle and he almost hits the ground. The apple came right down on the button of his baseball cap. I was scared for about a week.

Last edited:
Deer hunting in Vt. I was walking in a frozen cut cornfield when a wood chuck started running 40 yards away. Not wanting to scare any deer I picked up an ugly rock, gave it about a 8' lead and heaved it. The rock landed on his head killing him instantly, no witnesses. I also baited a sunfish with bread and got him with a rock too.

100 yards at a quarter of an orange clay sitting on the berm that my buddy could not hit. I set up at the seat next to him and nailed it with a .22 bolt savage. At the time it had a tasco pronghorn something or other scope on it that was sort of almost zero'd, but I knew where it would hit at 100 yards and got it right. As a very new shooter then I was pretty happy.

Yep, this was one crappy shooter out shooting an even crappier shooter, but this is how we learn. :)

I used to love smashing the remains of clays into smaller and smaller pieces with my .22. I wish I could do that at the current club but it's paper only, though I heard they might allow steel again at some point.

Mine would be while sighting in with my first batch of 30-06 reloads.

3 shots, one ragged hole from 100 yards. Never did that before with any factory loads.
I am still kicking myself for tossing that target.

13yo maybe. My dad was teaching me to point shoot. He would toss up a metal disc and I would shoulder the bb gun and hit it in the air. Then a smaller disc. The end of 2 hours or so I could hit a dime in the air with a bb gun about 50/50.

ETA: I have the dimes with the ding in them.

I hit a golfball at 185 yards with my Saiga .308 on the first try. I was having a good day, and we were shooting at 100 yards, and we had the golfballs at 185 for use with a scoped 22-250. My friend says "I want to see you try for a golf ball." I clicked 4 clicks in my mojo sight (3/4 moa per click), lined it up, and hit it! I should have quit while I was ahead lol, but I did manage to keep them close after that, and hit a few more.

my brother and I were muzzle loading hunting for deer and we were calling it an evening when I spotted a muskrat on the other side of a pond swimming away from us.. Iron sights 300 grain maxi ball 175 yards away off hand... took him right between his ears... my brother walked around the pond with me grabbed a branch and pulled it in.. he skinned it right there and it hangs in his gun room 15 yrs later

Easily, the last deer I shot in Ohio about 20-years ago. It was the end of a cold crappy day. One of those 38-degree, cold light misty rain days. I was hunkered down in the pit of a long gone corn silo. It was surrounded by trees in the middle-edge of a cornfield and formed a pit where you could escape the wind. I about had enough and as I started to gather up my gear and take a final sip of my lukewarm coffee, I heard a gunshot way off in the distance. Thinking nothing of it, I continued to pack up my kit bag and as I rose up I heard the ka-thump, ka-thump, ka-thump of hooves on the cold semi-frozen cornfield. I peered over the edge of the silo and in the distance I saw a buck tearing across the field - heading on a diagonal toward the silo. He was about 300-yards out. No, I didn't shoot him from there, but I did slowly bring up my .58 Zouave and cocked it. Resting it on the edge of the silo, I watched him continue toward me. At about 100-yards, he slowed to a quick trot, looked over his shoulder and continued on. I lead him with the Lyman sight, (iron circle with a wire crosshair), I squeezed the trigger right when his nose hit the inside of the circle and through the boom and the smoke heard a "THWAP!" and saw his legs curl up like landing gear. He skidded to a stop - the shot was about 75-yards and that 575gr Minieball made him just exit the earth. No running, no kicking, no flailing, no blood trail to follow - he met his maker - beautiful 225lb Ohio buck.

Last edited:
Easily, the last deer I shot in Ohio about 20-years ago. It was the end of a cold crappy day. One of those 38-degree, cold light misty rain days. I was hunkered down in the pit of a long gone corn silo. it was surrounded by trees in the middle-edge of a cornfield and formed a pit where you could escape the wind. I about had enough and as I started to gather up me gear and take a final sip of my lukewarm coffee, I heard a gunshot way off in the distance. Thinking nothing of it, I continued to pack up my kit bag and as I rose up I heard the ka-thump, ka-thump, ka-thump of hooves on the cold semi-frozen cornfield. I peered over the edge of the silo and in the distance I saw a buck tearing across the field - heading on a diagonal toward the silo. he was about 300-yards out. No, I didn't shoot him from there, but I did slowly bring up my .58 Zouave and cocked it. Resting it on the edge of the silo, I watched him continue toward me. At about 100-yards, he slowed to a quick trot, looked over his shoulder and continued on. I lead him with the Lyman sight, (iron circle with a wire crosshair), I squeezed the trigger right when his nose hit the inside of the circle and through the boom and the smoke heard a "THWAP!" and saw his legs curl up like landing gear. He skidded to a stop - the shot was about 75-yards and that 575gr Minieball made him just exit the earth. No running, no kicking, no flailing, no blood trail to follow - he met his maker - beautiful 225lb Ohio buck.

Sweet

Back
Top Bottom