What is the best shot you have made?

I have 2 stories.

The first was with my 10/22 at the last GPP. A fellow member decided that his Iphone was useless and he was going to put it downrange. I was sitting next to him and said I'll hit it watch. I have a 2x red dot with a 6moa dot. Not the best but I set the dot a little above the black smudge and sent one down range. It dropped and a cheer went up from those around me.

The second was with an old mossberg 44 that hadn't ben shot in at least the last 30 years. It is missing all aiming aparatus, so i built a simple scope mount for it. I tightened it down and headed off for the range. I was excited to see how it would shoot and how my handy work would hold up. I set up a target at 50yds and sent my first round. I hit paper and could make it out, so I decided to send another to see how it grouped. I was upset because I had clean missed the paper all that was there was the one shot from before. I was upset but decided to really concentrate on my next shot. The same thing happened, it must have clean missed again. I then said to myself aim a little up and right, because that hole looks bigger than .22. Sure enough I had just shot my first ragged hole!

Iphone.jpg

Attachments

• moss 44.jpg
    moss 44.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 7
13yo maybe. My dad was teaching me to point shoot. He would toss up a metal disc and I would shoulder the bb gun and hit it in the air. Then a smaller disc. The end of 2 hours or so I could hit a dime in the air with a bb gun about 50/50.

ETA: I have the dimes with the ding in them.

Awesome.

I heard a gunshot way off in the distance.

In a day or two there'll be a post on here by a hunter telling us how he winged a buck, it ran a few hundred yards away and some other guy finished it off and stole his deer. [laugh]

My best shot with a gun would probably be the chipmunk I shot with my brothers friends .22 revolver. He just got this cheap old crappy revolver and they all shot it and said it couldn't hit anything and was no good. There was a chipmunk about 50 yards away with his head sticking out of his hole. I said let me try it and I aimed at the chipmunk. The first shot took out the chipmunk and everyone now thinks I'm the best shot in the world. It got brought up this year when I was out hunting with them . By the way I shot that revolver a lot since then and it hits what I'm shooting at every time even if it is a crappy POS.

One of my best was probably the blue jug of tannerite at the NH pig shoot. It was the first shot I took out of a 1953 Russian SKS I bought with me that day. I stood there and saw a small blue blur on the 100 yard berm, shouldered the rifle and fired. Didn't know what it was until the BOOM!

Sometimes it's as much about the situation as it is about the shot. I'm at the old New bedford Rifle Range before it was taken over by the PD and there's a bunch of tack drivers shooting 1/2in groups at 100 yards. So I show up with a buddy and we pull out some mil-surp stuff and start shooting at targets. After a while I pull out a Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55 and start ringing the gong at 500 yards 4 out of 5 first time. The tack drivers stop shooting and just listen. Pow.......ting Pow.......ting Pow.......ting. Then they say your not hitting that are you. With supreme confidence I say just watch. Pow.......ting.

A hunt gone terribly wrong in Maine. 5 days of rain and cold weather. On the last day we were headed back to the camp in late evening. The guide and I were walking down a logging road when I detected some movement out of the corner of my eye. I signaled him to stop and I slowly knelt down and chambered a round into my Browning 30.06. We sat there for a good 25 minutes. As still as we could be. Finally an 8 point buck stepped out of the forest and onto the logging road. It was pouring rain and I had a clear shot. I fired, the buck leaped about a foot into the air and then fell dead on that very spot. He hangs on the wall of my den and we ate very well for a few months.

Turkey Shoot at the Fish & Game Club in Trumansburg, NY about 10 years ago. One of the events was pay $1.00 a chance to shoot a clay pigeon off a tree at 100 yards with slug gun. I hit 3/6 with open sights and took home 3 turkeys...couldnt do it again if you paid me!

Back
Top Bottom